3D cases - are there more flexible materials?

Hi there!

I’m very fond of the 3D-cases, but unfortunately, my case broke at the first drop (about half a meter onto wooden floor)… So while I’m happy that the case broke and not the phone I don’t want to spend a new case every time the phone falls. Do you know whether there’s a possibility to use a material which is more flexible for the 3D cases?

Thanks in advance for inputs!

Lena

2 Likes

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

A friend of mine had nearly the same experience. I think somewhere on the forum someone suggested “Colorfabb XT” polyester for printing. Stefan’s link is also helpful. Also have a look at the Shapeways website, the cases there look half-flexible as well.

The same thing happened to my 3d case. I would be willing to spend more for a 3d case that was better quality and more flexible!

Hi, I just wanted to share that I got a 3d-printed case in FlexPLA which is a little bit softer than the original 3d-printed case. My first 3d-printed case cracked after a few drops (small children, a cat and me in the house ;-)).
I loved the idea of a flexible 3d-printed case as brought up here and in the other thread (linked above). On the 3D Hubs-website I found some encouraging posts. Unfortunately, the hubs in my neighborhood were hesitant to print a flexible case because it seems to be a tricky shape for that material. Finally, I got the case from Eddie who had reported good results for about the same price as the original case.
At first, I was a little bit disappointed that the case is not very much softer than the original one. Now however, I like the feel of it a lot. It is less slippery than the first one and I expect it to absorb shocks better. It hasn’t gone through tough tests yet, though…
I hope this helps someone.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I would like to know: Do you use 3D cases? If so: do they break as easily as mine?(you drop it one time and pieces are missing) If not: do you use a certain material?

Please help because I’m not willing to pay 18€ every other month… (and please don’t tell me I shouldn’t drop the phone ;))

Thanks a lot

Jessica

For my previous phone

I printed a case out of this material:
http://www.formfutura.com/175mm-flexifil-black.html

Flexy as rubber, as you see is necessary to fit that case on the phone…
Great layer bonding.
It is a little tricky to get it stick to the printing bed, a few hints are listed among the reviews.

Nylon is that there is almost no de-lamination. The bonding of thread-to-thread is comparatively higher than with ABS or PLA, despite the parts being subject to splitting at right angle transitions…Nylon 645 is a nylon 6/9, or a variant of nylon 6 and nylon 6T with a crystallinity optimization process. This provides a high degree of transparency. The transparency permits the commercial internal control teams to guage written components while not harmful analysis.They can easily look through the perimeters and make a determination as to the adhesion of inner fills.

Nylon 645 Specification

Tensile Strength : 36MPa
Elongation at Break : 186%
Standard Tolerance : ± 0.01 mm
Layer thickness/height = .2mm maximum for best resolution
Melt temperature = 194C
Opacity : 65%
DENSITY G/CM3, 21.5°C 1.08
Color : Natural
Pyrolysis Termal Degradation : 340C
Shrinkage- in/in : 0.0062

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.