128GB version of FairPhone3?

You can already buy a 512 GB card and I have already heard from one FP3 user who confirmed it works in his device. And I guess 512 is not the end of the road either (from what I remember 1 or 2 TB are theoretically possible in an SDXC card).

I believe the fact that higher end smartphones now sometimes come with more internal storage than 64 GB is simply because of the tendency of major smartphone manufacturers to not include an SD card slot at all.

If almost or more than 500 GB of (combined) storage wasn’t enough for me (mass storage is indeed important to me as well – I want to have my personal music collection with me even when I’m in airplane mode), I’d probably ask for a second SD slot rather than more internal storage (no clue if that is possible though). :angel:

4 Likes

Yep. That is the very reason why and it all began with Apple and their music streaming service cult. Naturally others have followed along, now streaming apps are pushing themselves very aggressively and manufacturers complying with the “cloud phone strategy”. Why do we need 5G again? 4K streaming. Why do we need it? Because it’s new.

I’m pretty sure that Fairphone won’t change the FP3 Design

~God is dead (Charles Darwin)~

3 Likes

I still take my iPod classic on the plane. Although I have started downloading more music on Spotify lately.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.
But I can assure you, that it will take only a short while, until you run short with 64 GB extra again.

And, just to make you happy, there already is a solution for you:

SanDisk Extreme (r) microSDXC ™ UHS-I CARD with 1 TB

Fast enough to keep up with the action

Get extreme speeds for fast transfer, app performance, and 4K UHD.2 Ideal for your Android™ smartphone, action cameras or drones, this high-performance microSD card does 4K UHD video recording, Full HD video, and high-resolution photos. The super-fast SanDisk Extreme® microSDXC™ memory card reads up to 160MB/s* and writes up to 90MB/s.* Plus, it’s A2-rated, so you can get fast application performance for an exceptional smartphone experience.

If that doesn’t do it for you, you are lost (in my opinion), since another 64 GB would mean just 6% more memory.

And the SDXC-Card is at the moment available in Germany from € 333 and in the UK from € 406 (according to the price-comparison page Geizhals).

6 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Religious discussion … please feel free to give this topic a proper title :wink:

Hmm… Why is the main data storage of the FP3 not basically a exchangeable modul?

I guess, it’s not that easy.
One relevant reason, that comes to my mind, is that a socket that you would need to plug in a memory-chip would add a lot (in percentage) to the thickness and size of the phone, while there is no real need with SD-cards to add lots of storage.
There might be other technical reasons; but I am not aware of those, as I have no knowledge in this regard.

2 Likes

Because an FP with all socketed chips would look like this!

6 Likes

Sweet. :heart_eyes:

We could put a microwave oven in there.

2 Likes

I think the microSD option is the lowest common denominator.

On my FP3, I currently use 24,95 GB of the main memory. I put in a 128 GB SD card when I set up the phone, but have never used it so far.

I do not store Spotify playlists or Netflix episodes locally and back up my photos to Google Photos. And I delete unused apps on a regular basis.

3 Likes

Are you saying it would not be prudent to have the user decide if he needs more internal space as an option? You don’t think people would put out more money out for more internal memory if they want it?
64 GB is just to little in my eyes - I’m struggling with my own mobile to keep it from not filling up - as many applications are forcefully using the internal space.

I know rmf - but that is just not enough I know. While these companies push to have applications forcefully use the internal in replacement of the external. And some of what I have would not be fitting either to have on the External. It all fills up quickly :confused:

I would suggest a 128 GB version for the FairPhone - I can’t be the only one that would be happy to see that. And really, how much more in price are we talking about?

It depends on how you use it. My FP2 has 32GB of storage, and only 13GB are taken. PIctures, music and backups are all on the SD card.

While it is possible to move applications to the SD card, what apps are you using that are taking up so much space? Maybe clearing some caches would work?

2 Likes

Don’t take it negatively I’m sure I’m not the only one that would like more internal storrage and pay whatever extra is needed to get it. It is just an help to point something that might be an issue and could not be that hard to fix. They could try making some and see how the sales compare :slight_smile: To get the user the choice.

1 Like

Except that they’re a very small company that has never offered a choice in models before.

3 Likes

Well, in my eyes memory expansion option is a more sensible idea. I never owned an iPhone for the very reason.

3 Likes

Maybe so, but that doesn’t make it realistic to expect you will get what you want.
A fringe use case in an already small niche market? Fairphone don’t run a charity :slight_smile: .

You already have the sensible choice to question how you even fill up internal memory in the first place, and if that could be avoided.

3 Likes

While I understand your reasoning, I have to agree to the others here, that it simply is not realistic.
My guess would be, that a larger memory chip would mean another layout of the PCB; even if it’s “just” the socket for the new memory chip. In addidtion the programming would have to be changed to address the additional memory.
That makes a redesign just for testing the market not sensible for a small company like Fairphone. The same goes for switching to a version with more memory, since the money this would require would result in a much higher price. It’s not just the price for the new memory chip but also e.g. the programming for the machines producing the PCB and soldering the parts.

When asking “Why didn’t they …” one has to keep in mind, that developing the phone started a few years ago. This means, the hardware costs have to be estimated and at some point a decision has to be made to get things done. In the end there will always be those questions “Why not a better SoC/camera/display/…?” or “Why not more memory?”; and the argument “That wouldn’t have cost much more!”.
But 10 Euro here and 20 Euro there would - in the end - add up to a much more expensive phone.

2 Likes

The memory chip probably stacked on the SoC, I think that’s a common PCB construction method for the past few years and I think 128GB would take up no extra space - I think that higher amounts would also be feasible. However, it would require another SKU to be created and distributed, would require more testing of hardware and software and more spares stock for Fairphone to hold. I agree with most that it’s not realistic, but for commercial/logistic reasons not for technical reasons.

As well as uSD card expansion doesn’t the FP3 support OTG? So USB memory sticks and external hard drives can be connected. I know this is actually less convenient than using a uSD card, but it is another option and potentially less costly than uSD cards when that additional storage isn’t needed continuously but only occasionally.

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes