10X times Smaller video recording using Webm/ VP9 codecs

The user case concern almost every single person I know : data storage in the cloud.
Sustainability means changing less often your phone which is one of the biggest mission of Fairephone.
Most people I know have cloud storage issue, when you go on theire phones (including mine!) you see the videos takes “8GB on your 15GB free plane”.

I have my own script to downscale videos to WEBM in 720P on Linux. It takes a 100MB video down to 10 MB and it is still viewable.
I just would like to have this feature natively :
720P WEBM / VP9 : “720P cloud storage saving”
480P WEBM / VP9 : “480P cloud storage saving”

Higher pixel values could be to hard on the phone if not using the hardvare codec compression.

Linux script :smiley:
ffmpeg -i $folder -vf scale=-1:720,fps=30 -vcodec libvpx -deadline good -acodec libvorbis $folder.webm

If easy to implement why not offering AV1 to be future proof, this standard is still a little young (2018) and might not read on old hardware.
The FP4 may be strong enough to do 480P@30FPS AV1

1 Like

In a nutshell, I personally have deactivated my phone photo and video saving, just because of the video files.
I am doing few videos , but in few years it has crowded my 15GB cloud.
All I need is :

• 10X smaller videos
  • 1080P photos would me a must too!
  • google to put an option to not synchronise my videos in the cloud
1 Like

Is there also a licensing issue with these codecs? Codecs are great but their licensing is often a nightmare (for free and open source systems).

1 Like

VP9 and AV1 are the open standard for video codec. Developped as an alternative respectively to closed H264 and H265.
They have also worked on avoiding beeing sueed by other company…I think there is something like if you use our codec you cannot sue us…because the first thing proprietary codec try is to kill open source codecs with their patent, trying to show the open is using theire patents :smiley:

2 Likes

Assuming it doesn’t make the video quality worse, this would be pretty great.

I doubt they will ever do it though.

The VP9 codec is the equivalent of H264 but open sourced.
AV1 has been developed for modern 4K / 8K video broadcasting on sevices like youtube.
Those 2 codecs are better than the previous generation codecs at the same bandwidth, and smaller at same quality.
It make use of current hardware power to enable this. A FP4 could do VP9 without a problem, AV1 with some optimisation.
Bottom line perceived quality by an human eye is at the core of the developpement of every new generation of codec. VP9n and AV1 wouldn t be replacing H264 on youtube if it was worse
Since 2016 ARM Mali GPU support VP9 encoding :

1 Like

While I do agree that AV1 will be the future, running en-/decoding in software isn’t really an efficient endavour.
Hardware support for AV1 is just starting to get major adoption, unless your other playback devices already support it there are more downsides than upsides at this point in time.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.