1.8 to 1.6 downgrade problem

Hello! When I try to downgrade my Fairphone OS from 1.8 to 1.6 using Fairphone Updater App in advanced mode, everything seems ok; but after the install and the reboot, everything is the same as before, except for the Play Store (I have to reinstall it), and the OS is 1.8.
What’s the problem?

1 Like

I suppose you would have to manually install the downgrade, from your SD, in recovery mode. AFAIK it is not possible to downgrade through the FP Updater App.

It should be possible, but the Fairphone Updater in general seems to be a mess… I’m on 1.8, but it says I’m running 1.6…

@andre314 Did you try the other options? Maybe the correct file was labeled incorrectly… (IMO one of the reasons the update was postponed…)

Interesting. Didn’t know that. With the old FP Updater App, this is definitely not possible. I tried yesterday.

(OT: Also, I realise that 1.5 is not a nut. Interesting. 陳皮, dried tangerine peel. Somebody is really into bitter flavours there, cola nuts are also quite bitter.)

1 Like

Yes, I tried. Nothing changes. I think @humorkritik is right.

Same issue here, was about to post just as I found your topic. Here is the detail in my case:

As there are some issues with Fairphone OS 1.8 for the time being, I wanted to downgrade my FP1 to 1.6 (also in order to get the new unified storage).

I tried both downgrades from the advance menu (1.6 and 1.6 with storage upgrade) but none of them worked. It downloads the update, then tells me to restart, I click restart and I get the screen with the Android lying down with its chest open and the message “no command”, then the phone boots and I’m back to my phone just as it was before, with the only difference that Google Play is gone. I check the Fairphone Updater and it tells me that I am still on 1.8 Kola Nut.

I tried to reinstall the Google Play services with the widget, to no avail…

No idea what the solution could be…

I have tried to reinstall the whole update with the same result. I have alos tried to reinstall Google Play Services with the widget several time but same result. The widget is greyed out and tells me that the “Google Apps [are] installed”, and when trying to reinstall them, I get the same “no command” android screen when rebooting.

Any idea what else I could try?

I have contacted the support team, and I was able to manually downgrade to 1.6 thanks to the instructions on this page.

This went well, although I had to make sure I deleted the app data for Media Storage because I was having the “android.process.media has stopped” issue, as explained in this forum answer.

I could then do the 1.6 storage upgrade from the updater. Hope this helps others!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience! :smiley: