Wrist strap on FP3 | FP3+

Is it possible to use a wrist strap (or ‘lanyard’) with the Fairphone 3? I can’t find any mention either in the brief instruction sheet or anywhere online, like I’m the only person in history who wants to do this. I’m looking at the hole on the side, at the bottom-left as you look at the phone in portrait mode. It is a sort of dual hole with a little rib across the middle. What is that hole for if it’s not for using a wrist strap? Even on the official user doc that hole is not labelled. Could it be some kind of ventilation? A microphone or speaker? Would wrapping a strap around cause any problem?

If anybody has indeed used that hole for threading a wrist strap through, please let me know. I don’t know if that rib is sturdy enough to trust dangling the phone from when I’m trying to take a photo on the sides of a bridge with a 200ft drop below!

Hi Pierre,

It’s the hole for the speaker.

You can’t use it for a wrist strap as it’s not sturdy enough: it’s recycled plastic, prone to break if shocked, especially the thin parts like this.

Furthermore, you’d probably damage the protective membrane of the speaker, because there’d be no space for a thread to pass by.

3 Likes

Okay thanks for the info. It’s disappointing as most if not all phones nowadays don’t seem to allow for a wrist strap. My previous phone, the Nokia 808, had one and I use it extensively, particularly when taking photos/videos, or for just generally holding the phone more securely in my hand wherever I go.

I bought my FP3+ secondhand and it came with the official green protective case, but it’s very ill-fitting and oversized, allowing the phone to jiggle about and fall out, so I had to cut little bits of card and stick them with double-sided tape to the inside edges of the case, in between the small ribbed transversal strengthening bars. This does the job but the phone can still come out of the case rather too easily and I find the overall grip and security in the hand isn’t great.

1 Like

I use the double sided tape to adhere the case directly to the phone at top and bottom :slight_smile:

Once you feel secure with that you can attach a wrist strap to the case.

1 Like

Do you by chance have the FP3 rather than the 3+? I noted in the quick start guide that the first step shows a bevel that my 3+ doesn’t have. Perhaps there’s a whole topic devoted to this that I don’t know about. And perhaps with that bevel the case fits more snugly, but mine has a good 3mm or more gap between top and bottom, and about 1mm or so sideways. So double-sided tape wouldn’t stick to both ends of the case, only one or the other. In any case (pun not intended), I may still want to remove the phone from the case from time to time so I’d rather not stick it directly.

Both FP3 versions should have the exact same measurements, as they are basically the same phone with some internal changes.

But the growing case is a well known issue:

1 Like

As mentioned the FP3 and FP3+ are the same, just some internal module differences.

I have the same gap and the double sided tape works fine and is easy to replace should I want to remove the case.

The tape I use is very thin, like sellotape. I do also have thick double sided nearly 2mm thick. I’ll try that come to think of it.

The reason the thin tape works is that the top and the bottom are rubbery and flex easily to the tape and the tape adhesive is strong enough to hold both.

1 Like

I’m still intrigued by the first image in the Quick Start guide. What is that? I don’t have it.

Do you mean the bumper that was supplied with the FP3 but not the FP3+

This guide shows it is for the FP3, bottom left of the first pair of images. Maybe you have an FP3+ or just didn’t get the bumper which was included by default with the FP3. The bumper is not available otherwise than second hand or custom made.

1 Like

What you call the bumper is what I meant by ‘bevel’ in a previous reply. Yes I have the FP3+, so I supposed this must have been an extra component of the original FP3. Which is why I assumed that the issue of the oversized case must be more severe with the FP3+, as not having the bumper must surely remove a millimetre or two from the overall dimensions.

But having said I have a FP3+, I’d been thinking recently… I bought it secondhand, it has the non-translucent back cover and no ‘bumper’, so all seems normal, but it shows up in the default device name, model name and anywhere else - like on my PC - as a FP3. If somebody took an FP3 and simply snapped on the back cover of the FP3+, what can you check to be absolutely sure of which model you have? Any indication in the serial number? I’m assuming that I have the upgraded camera modules, but in Open Camera the maximum size I can choose is 12MP. What also got me thinking about this is that when testing the front camera in a video call for the first time, it seemed to be crooked and out of line. I’d have to hold it at an awkward angle to show directly ahead of the phone. And so could somebody have changed the front camera module and not seated it properly?

Yes the model is the FP3 version is FP3+

Follow this path

Settings > About phone > Model > Hardware version

The camera can only output 12MPx as the sensor is 4x12.

All the best

Under About Phone > Model, I only have two items greyed out.

Model
FP3

Serial number
xxxxxxxxxxx

There is no subcategory ‘Hardware version’. Maybe this is something that is changed by iodéOS?

Click on Model

Settings > About phone > Model > Hardware version :slight_smile:

I can’t. It doesn’t exist. The two items I showed above are greyed out, you can’t click them to delve any further.

1 Like

Ok I’ll find another way :slight_smile:

Try this dial *#*#66#*#*
Then Service info > Model info

That doesn’t work either. When I put the very last asterisk, the whole dialling string suddenly disappears and so I cannot actually dial anything. Up until the penultimate character (the hash) the string remains visible.

This only works with stock OS and you are on Iode as you mentioned…

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t get that you were using iodéOS

I suspect that since iodé supply a single OS image for both FP3 and FP3+, they simply set the phone model as FP3 and don’t have (or don’t use) any tool to differentiate between the two, at least as far as naming is concerned. It would just be nice to have some way to verify and be absolutely sure.

If you didn’t get a bumper and you have an opaque back cover and white rims around both cameras then it’s more that just likely you have an FP3+

So you bought it with the deafult OS and installed iodeOS?