Will they sell 15000? [They did]

Well the long awaited [cost breakdown][1] is there guys. :smiley:
[1]: https://www.fairphone.com/2015/09/09/cost-breakdown-of-the-fairphone-2/

6 Likes

Hopefully this clear overview will convice people to buy the Fairphone.

1 Like

I’m getting too old to stay up until 12:00 am every night. If anyone buys a phone in the final quarter of an hour of the day, feel free to inform me…tomorrow morning! :grin:

Back on topic, it’s very nice to see the recent re-acceleration of sales seems to stay for a while now. I feel still very much in the dark about what has changed around the turn of the month. Maybe it’s that mysterious phenomenom sometimes referred to as “Pay Day”. :blush:

2 Likes

Still, it’s not enough! Daily sales would have to be at over 200. We are just not reaching this…! :frowning:

At 00:19 hours the number was 10517, just under your estimation.

The following is probably only interesting if you use Linux or Mac.

Since it’s going to be very exciting, I think I have to share my small bash alias with you. I don’t keep track of all sales in a nice chart, but when working on my computer I can always know the current status by typing a few characters in bash:

$ fp2sold
Thu Sep 10 01:42:51 CEST 2015
10526 of 15000 sold

All you have to do to get this magic trick working is

a) Having curl installed and
b) having this following function in your ~/.bash_alias

function fp2sold {
    date && curl -s http://shop.fairphone.com/media/counter.json | sed 's/{"total_sold"://;s/,"total_to_sell":/ of /; s/}/ sold\n/'
}

At the beginning there had been several new Fairphones sold in between the times of me typing fp2sold. Now the pace has slowed down a little. However that makes it even more exciting whether we will make it.

4 Likes

Of course the issues must not be mixed. But both have to be seen. It’s about how you wight production and software. Is it 50/50? Or is production all and fair/open software is just something on top, a nice-to-have?

Form my point of view the people from Fairphone did a great job which needs to be done (relay! thank you for that!!), but they just focus on half the problem.

I’ve been using open software for about 17 years now, and i don’t want to go back behind that. Thinking in the terms of open software, open access, open ideas and even privacy is maybe nothing many people are used to. So the ideas sound strange ans risky in their ears.

From my point of view saying: “I want a fairphone with Android” is the same like say: “I want fair production, but it must be cheep”.

Odd, for me the counter showed the number of sold FP2s that I entered into my graph (10520) – at 23:40 (CET). I hope I’m not getting a special “Keep Urs happy” version of the counter :wink:

Hi guys.

I just wanted to tell you why I did not preorder the fp2 by now:
I did not find a good/long review on youtube. If something costs more than 500 bucks, I first want to touch it, feel it, try it. Or at least I want to watch a person on youtube doing so.

I think they should have made more final prototypes and have handed them over to some youtube-testers.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is even a single final prototype. And thats kind of how crowd funding works: They want to raise the money before they start production, so they don’t have to take a loan and instead can be financially independent

4 Likes

I also were wondering about the number, @Lidwien gave us. Mine showed 10520 before midnight. :smile:

A lot of news companies had a look at FP2 prototypes, maybe you’ll find more info in this post: :slight_smile:

Well, at least there was the FP image video of taking apart the phone (easily repairable screen, modules). Software- and speedwise it will be comparable to an HTC ONE M8, since this phone and the FP2 share the same chipset and GPU. There are a lot of hands on videos about the M8 on Youtube.

True! However I’d have wanted a prototype in Vienna so badly!!! :sweat_smile: Not even a working one, just one to touch, and feel, and … well, that’s going kind of intimate now… :blush:

1 Like

I wonder what an MKBHD §review would do for Fairphone…

2 Likes

The only reason for having another count is that I must have forgotten to update the page before looking the number. Sorry for that.

Hi you guy too,

you will be able to feel and touch and do whatsoever before you have to buy it. You know, if you don’t like it, you will be allowed to send it back and get back your money. This is crowd funding!

I prefer to feel and test the FP2 myself! And I am very optimistic that it will feel great! :smiley:

5 Likes

You know you don’t need a Fairphone for that. I believe there are already some fairtrade and Eco-friendly sextoys out there! :wink:

1 Like

Actually I was gonna say “…take the FP2 prototype apart”. How dare you post such perverse things… :wink:

2 Likes

Strongly different numbers in Fairphone’s own graph here, mainly in the beginning days of pre-ordering. I assume their numbers reflect the point of time of orders, not payments (which I think the counter does and which my tracking is showing – thus the weekend plateaus).

3 Likes

I think they just interpolated between the weekly observation points.

BTW. I’d like to know if the Fairphone Team itself believes in reaching the crowdfunding goal… :slight_smile:

1 Like

With the information we have available, it is hardly sane to believe in it.

However we might not have all the information. Maybe the Fairphone team knows more (e.g. they are planning an extraordinary campaign or have a sales partner in sight who will buy a big chunk of the phones). Then they have reason to be optimistic.

I’m just glad they will still build the phones in any case.

1 Like

I think the Pop-Up-Store in London will lead to some extra sales.