Will these apps work on Fairphone Open OS?

Be careful, don’t confuse microG with GAPPS. They are two different projects. Please ignore this if you know that already.

1 Like

I didn’t know. Which one should I use then?

By the other hand I cannot install the open source OS, it says in the bootloader "CAnnot install this pakage over newer buid :confused: it supposed to be easy. Any clue?

Thanks

Use miroG.

GAPPS is just Google.

Yes.
If you have 1.5.1 installed, it is newer than the latest Open OS. You will either need to flash an older version, or wait for the next Open OS update. See also here:

Hey Guys. At the end I could isntall the Fairphone Open OS thank you very much. I have to say that I had to install openGapps, I tried microG but at the end some applications I use need the framework of Google :confused:

I pareciate a lot your support

Thanks and see you around!

Bests

1 Like

Did you actually try the microG Services Core as described in this step by step guide or just the unified NLP? With the whole microg set installed correctly, most/all apps that “need” the Google framework should work.

Hi. Sorry for the late response. I just used NLP. :confused:
By the other hand, I have a problem with the last update. The phone is now in loops. It says optimizing applications, then restart, then optimizing applications, then restart, and so on.

I have my phone encrypted. and cannot save the data because the bootloader don’t have the ability to mount an encrypted data¿?¿?

Anyone know how to solve it?

Thanks

it seems Etar + offline calendar are not working anymore - “Der Kalender konnte nicht hinzugefügt werden! Wenn du Cyanogenmod benutzt: Stell sicher, dass due Privacy Guard für diese Anwendung deaktiviert ist um Zugriff auf den Kalender zu gewähren. Wenn du Android 4.3 App Ops beutzt: Stelle sicher, dass diese Anwendung Schreib- und Lesezugriff auf den Kalender hat”
(translates roughly as: calendar can’t be added! if you use Cyanogenmod: make sure to deactivate Privacy Guard for this application to enable writing access. If you use Android 4.3 App Ops: make sure the application has writing and reading rights for the calendar.)
Any ideas what to cahnge and where to change it?
Or a recommendation for another calendar system (where I can run a 2 in 1 calendar - private, work - importang one (manually is just fine)

In case this helps, I’d like to mention that if you have an ‘old’ phone or tablet with GAPPS on it (and a Google account), and you install F-Droid on it, you then can EXCHANGE any app between it and your FP (assuming you also installed F-Droid there).

This is something I did recently (although not with an FP2*), because I happen to have a very good raw image processing software paid on Google apps, that I wanted to move onto a ‘non-Google-registered’ new tablet.

(Although any app can be transferred, some won’t work, when they require a specific GAPPS support. But in my case, mostly all of the apps I transferred this way did work, including my precious raw editor.)

Hervé
(*) I only have an FP1 : I didn’t switch yet to FP2 given the poor confidence given for root support in the beggining. Do I understand now there is an easy way to get a rooted OS?
(by ‘easy’ I mean not spending a day, not installing plenty of things on a separate computer, not downloading files from some unknown place other than Fairphone, not issueing long series of commands on a terminal… -ideally, as many said, some checkbox to tick in a simple installer like the original FP updater…)

1 Like

Yes. It is easy to switch to the google free Open OS, which is rooted by default and also gets monthly updates.
Beside that, there is also a community workaround for rooting the default OS.

1 Like

Thank you Freibadschwimmer!

I must say I have been a very regular user here during all the FP1 era, but almost abandoned completely once the non-rooted-FP2 was announced.
It’s the first time in maybe 6 months I come back, and it’s for a good piece of news!

As I am to it, would you know by any chance if the alternative Sailfish OS, that is still mentioned in the front FP product page, is still ‘in progress’ or has evolved a bit?

1 Like

The current version works perfectly fine.

However, yet there has not been any agreement between the Jolla community and Fairphone to officially support it, thus it remains (a fully functioning) community port. Downside of no official support: Commercial parts (like Alien Dalvik to run Android apps) are not running yet.

For more info have a look at this:

1 Like

Very interesting option. Can you elaborate a bit more detailed how to do this?

The feature is called ”Swap apps":

• Tap the three dots on F-Droid main screen on device A and device B
  • Tap on Swap apps
  • Connect to the same wifi or connect over bluetooth
  • Select apps to share
  • Swap!

I’ve only used the feature on their very beginning and it was unstable. I guess it has improved a lot, but I don’t have two Android devices to test it anymore.

2 Likes

Hey @Roboe, thanks for explaining! Just tested it with my FP2 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 running Beanstalk 6 (based on CM13). Works like a charm!

1 Like

To this I’d just add

• prefer a wifi connection rather than bluetooth, i’ll be much faster
  • what actually happens is, each phone starts acting as an “extra” app repository for the other one, and on each you select which apps you want to share
  • the symmetry of the operation turns it a bit misleading: if you have many apps, at times you don’t understand if you are indicating which of this phone’s apps you want to send, or if the list already comes from the other phone. Also, there is a ‘discovering the other guy’ phase which is rather unclear, as things often work with one phone still having discovered nothing.
    Bue if you persevere, it always works :slight_smile:

Last point : any app bought on the google store will transfer, but some won’t work on a non-GAPPS-machine. The key ones do work for me, but I’ve found some fancy apps, like the Paris metro/bus app, that demand too many things (including extremely intrusive access btw). So, it’s definitely something to try, but the result isn’t guaranteed.
Maybe one should start a thread about which transported apps do run…

2 Likes

Firefox Aurora updates itself (near daily). You can download it from Mozilla. I know its alpha software, but I’ve never had an issue with it. If it ever goes haywire, just switch browser until its updates a day later.

Or for those who do not have a second android device, but a decent Desktop you can do what I do in this case:

• Install Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org)
  • Then install Android x86 (http://www.android-x86.org) in a virtual machine.
  • It is important that you use bridged networking and not NAT in the virtualbox settings so that the phone can see the virtual machine and vice versa.
    I had problems with Android 5.0 and above, but 4.4 and 4.3 worked well and I had no problems with sending apps from a 4.3 machine to my FP. There is only one annoying bug when running F-Droid in a virtualized Android: The moment you click on “swap apps”, the screen goes bonkers. The screen of the virtualized Android switches from landscape to portrait - but tilted 90 degrees to the left. You have to turn your mouse the same way in order to use this. The moment you leave “swap apps” mode this weird behaviour stops immediately.

Note some apps will not work because of different CPU architectures (x86arm). Specifically, apps that use not only the Android Java framework (cross-platform), but the native JNI as well (platform specific), provide different APKs for each architecture.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.