Will the transparent version yellow over time?

Hello! This might be the dumbest question to ever be asked on this forum but I’m not joking. I plan to buy a Fairphone 5, it’s looking to be my dream phone in more ways than one. And it even brought back the Fairphone 3 transparent design, which I loved but sadly never got to own. My question is exactly as said in the title. Will this transparent back yellow over time?

Why am I asking this? Well, I’m basing this off of transparent plastic phone cases who all tend to yellow over time. I wouldn’t want that to happen to my phone because it’s honestly quite ugly. Also, I noticed that the transparent back for the Fairphone 5 had a tint of purple… is that the case? Is it actually slightly purple? Or is that just me? I love purple. :kissing:

Did anyone here owned a transparent back Fairphone 3 for an extensive amount of time? Did it ever turned yellow? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The german online shop memolife actually lists the color of the transparent edition as ‘transparent schwarz’ (aka ‘transparent black’). So I suppose there is a little bit of pigment mixed into the transparent plastic.

As for the yellowing I cannot give you any reliable information, but I have experienced the same effect with soft plastic in the past as well. Less so with the harder types. So I imagine it’s largely dependent on which polymer and which additives they used in the material. Do we even know if it’s the same one as for the FP3 one?

1 Like

I have an FP3 for about four years and I have the feeling it has kept its transparency. Note that it is black transparent and not just transparent. Maybe smoked would be a better way to express it

9 Likes

Gameboys were once transparant too, I have an old Gameboy Color (transparent purple). It didn’t discolor. Of course it’s a difficult comparison. We have to see how the FP5 will hold up. But I guess it will be fine.

2 Likes

As others already pointed out, it’s likely a different material (so difficult to say about the FP5), but even the fully transparent back cover of my FP2 from 2017 hasn’t turned yellow so far.

4 Likes

@AtPlume

with being Onwer for “only” three and a half years I can back this message

Against certain backgrounds I’ve had this impression myself. After noticing your question, I held the removed back cover against my computer display yesterday with the display all white, and it looked slightly like there’s a hint of purple (more red than blue) in it.

I’d also see a touch of purple in the back cover where it sits on top of the beige markings on the phone’s inside:

5 Likes

Alright then. I guess it does have a tin hint of Purple in there and apparently, it won’t yellow. Thank you all for the replies! Can’t wait to finally get my hands on it! :smiley:

1 Like

The transparent cover is also protected with a UV protective coating, a sort of sunscreen :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

Hi all,

I would actually really like a yellow transparent version! One of my favourite ever phones is the LG Fx0, a transparent gold Firefox phone from many years ago. When FP were putting certified Fairtrade gold in the FP2 I suggested they make a transparent gold version, but they never did :frowning: I still wait in hope! :smiley:

Cheers :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.