Will LineageOS be supported on Fairphone 3?

This currently isnā€™t even possible because we dont have the stock recovery or boot image. This also means that if something messes up you cannot revert via ADB.

well. I am not a dev myself. but I googled about that and there was some
way to find the partition mtp list via adb. Iā€™d try it myself - if my
FP3 wouldnā€™t have problems with the USB jack. (wtf, itā€™s brand new!! OT)

and you can even run TWRP via fastboot without flashing it, then
sometimes youā€™re even able to backup the stock recovery image. again, as
far as I understood.

cheers

no development for fp3 is happening yet because Fairphone hasnā€™t released the kernel sources yetā€¦reply from z3ntu on wearefairphone:matrix:org on nov 16th 2019

6 Likes

Thanks for the information. So Lineage OS development has not even started. Damn, seems like I have to stick with a borrowed phone for a while.
Can these instructions clean the FP3 from any Google app? I didnā€™t read everything, but Iā€™m not sure I should try without knowing perfectly what will happen. And as there is no boot image ready, Iā€™m not sure I want to try without a rollback plan.

2 Likes

Back then it was a little bit more easy to port TWRP because the source code was available. However seems that some people already asked for the source code. And Iā€™m optimistic that it will be published in the near future.

I also got my FP3 already. And needed to realize that Iā€™m very happy with LineageOS (for microG) on my FP2 and donā€™t want to switch that fast to a non-Google-free Android OS. So donā€™t know why I ordered the FP3 that fast. I feel little like one of these crazy Apple fans :wink: Letā€™s see what will come. As Iā€™m still happy with my FP2, Iā€™m patient for that.

3 Likes

wellā€¦

1. No, they wonā€™t publish it. After what I read, I think they donā€™t support alternative OS anymore.
  2. But Samsung never did. And still: Quite a lot Samsung phones can be rooted (or even all of them?).

soā€¦ I still am sure that we should back up recovery and system by ourselves and get on with it. as far as I understood, so you can fall back on the working official recovery system whenever you wantā€¦

According to what I learned from the other thread, they are obliged to publish the source code according to GPL.

And here is the Samsung site with the source-codes for their mobile-phones

Hereā€™s the opensource page for all their devices.
And there are pages like this for other Android phone-manufacturers as well.

Not that I can make anything of all those informations.

6 Likes

The kernel source has been released. So maybe we can look forward to some movement here :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yay! :partying_face:

(and welcome to this forum, BTW, @MGlauer :smiley:)

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: FP3 : Fairphone Open OS?

Thanks. Well, I hope there will be intelligent people to make an Open OS for FP3 out of this :wink:

1 Like

There is an /e/OS currently in development:
https://mastodon.social/interact/103912398236907028

1 Like

Plus there is some LOS 16 development going on here: LineageOS 16 for FP3 development

3 Likes

Sadly i have no experience with development, just reporting bugs.

Canā€™t wait for a Lineage rom.

Itā€™s already a good contribution :slight_smile:

I havenā€™t been able to find an answer anywhere, but can someone tell me if thereā€™s a MicroG+LineageOS being worked on for the Fairphone 3?
Recently decided it was time to deGoogle my life. But my current phone is so old itā€™s not supported. And Iā€™m looking for something durable. Hence Fairphone.
Pretty new to all this, but from what I can tell the LOS build is pretty well underway, right?

Yep, although not (yet) an official LineageOS:

There you can find one version with and one version without microG.

In addition, thereā€™s also /e/ available for the FP3 which includes - afaik - microG:

2 Likes

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Downsides of /e/

And it is out now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.