Wifi is disconnecting after 10 minutes in standby

Just to confirm, I’m also still having the same issue as @spaetz on Fairphone OS 1.7.0. Also while charging. I suppose there is still no fix or workaround? I noticed it couple of months ago, but this is the second consecutive time I’ve run out of mobile data (somehow having emails checked in the background accrued 200 MB alone).

I tried what @Spielmops suggested (in various orders, including some reboots), but it didn’t change anything.

same problem here. sometimes I turn it off and it turns on again too. seems like it does what it want. seems like I can’t do anything to control it. suggestions?

I also have this problem with WiFi being disconnected. My data is off always, and Wifi is on, but I receive no notifications unless I unlock the screen. This problem started after one of the updates, I am sure. I did not have this problem from the beginning, and I am really annoyed. When I am waiting for a particular email or message, I should keep checking my mobile instead of waiting for its notification!!!

I also have this issue and find it annoying. Has this ever been acknowledged by Fairphone support?
It’s not on the list of known issues.

I also had this issue on FPOS 16.08. Now I’m on FP OS 16.09.0 and I still have to test it.

My previously posted workaround ist to disable and re-enable the WiFi after you re-entered your WiFi-covered area (=home?!) and you are done with this bug until you leave home and come back again!

1 Like

Yes, really annoying.

I have the same problem: At home I use my notebook as a wlan-hotspot. but after some minutes, even the displays shows connectivity, it appears no connection is possible as apps needing connection are alerting there would be no connection. but the display sign shows connectivity. switching off an on the wlanbutton helps sometimes. somtimes i need to restart FP2. the funny thing is, that the “WLAN tester” app shows me my connection to the notebook. so i’m sure the problem ist because of FP2 and not because of de signal-sending-device.
summa summarum: embarrassing und ennoying. i hope this will be resolved soon.

If I switch wifi to “always on” (options) and then switch wifi to “off” then again to “on” it is always “on”.

@Boe reported that similar behaviour is solved in FP-OS 1.11.
Can anybody confirm? It is not reported in the changelog, isn’t it?

I had a little twitter interaction with FP this week about this problem. Apparently, they do not consider this a confirmed bug, since they were not able to reproduce it.

What would be the correct steps to change that? Should I contact support?

I was just going to say write down the exact procedure on how to reproduce the bug, but then I found @therob has already posted it.
I haven’t seen that post so far and it doesn’t seem like a lot of people did, so I quoted it to the original post and am going to check today whether I’m able to reproduce it.

If this checks out to be reproducible then I’ll move this topic to #software:bug-reports and to the #bugslist::tag and Fairphone will put it on their todo list (with whatever priority they see fit).

1 Like

Oh, yes, I did not read that, too. And it apparently includes a workaround. I’m gonna see if that helps me.

1 Like

@therob are you still able to reproduce this issue the way you described it above?
I tried that out today - multiple times actually. I did 1.-4. exactly as you described and 5. happened as you described - that is Wifi only reconnected as I unlocked the phone the first time.
But I didn’t experience the actual bug - my Wifi connection is stable and persistent no matter what.

Yes, I am!
The “bug” (?!) is also still present at my FP2 with FPOS 1.11.1 (to which I manually updated yesterday).

Just to avoid misunderstandings with my discribed points 5.+ :
5. […wake up FP2 from stand-by after you left WLAN coverage area (~10min) with still WLAN enabled…FP2 is only connecting after wake up of stand-by.]
→ QUESTION: is this normal Android behaviour? I thought if WLAN is still enabled, Android is scanning for WLANs in background and should re-connect to known WLANs in background, and not only after switching on screen?
6. @paulakreuzer: After you successful made all steps 1.-5 and saw described behaviour (e.g. after coming home after workday): your FP2 stays connected long time? If you switch on FP2 after e,g, 30min, your WLAN-connected symbol is instantely visible - and not only after 1 second? I can e.g. check it with internet-radio-streams: after 10 minutes of playing a stream via WLAN in background, it begins to stutter because WLAN is disconnected and instead mobile-traffic is used…

Still only workaround is to disable and re-enable FP2s WLAN. After this, also my WLAN stays connected “forever”.

Yeah I tested it the other day. I left home with WiFi on and screen off to go grocery shopping for about 30 minutes. When I came back the first time I could see that it took a second to reconnect to the WiFi (no idea if that’s normal, probably not) but the rest of the day I had a constant and uninterrupted WiFi connection.

everyone, please confirm if automatic banding may be the culprit; my router “steers” connected devices to a better band with sometimes illogical consequence when either enters idle mode. Disabled it on both the router and the FP2 and notice the ! of doom less often.

Short version:
Rebooting the phone seems to resolve this issue for me. Turning wifi off and on does not. More testing needed.

Long version:

• Using FP2, Android 5.1, Fairphone OS 1.13.0
  • I noticed for the past week (could be longer) when watching Netflix on my Chromecast and controlling it via the Netflix app on my FP2, that every time I wanted to pause it, the app would have lost connection to the Chromecast and I had to reconnect, even restart the app.
  • Today when having a voice conversation via Whatsapp the connection dropped again and again after about 10 minutes, after the screen turned off, I noticed that Wifi would have been disconnected. And immediately as I turned on the screen it would reconnect.
  • Because this was really annoying, more than the Netflix thing, I started looking on the forum and found this thread.
  • Battery Saver is Off
  • I do not recall any Exlamation Mark in the notification panel.
  • I reproduced the problem by just putting my phone on the table for 15 mins, turning the screen on and seeing Wifi disconnected, being reconnected after a few seconds.
  • Turning wifi off and on again did not resolve the problem, reproduced the same.
  • Then I decided to reboot the phone and try to reprocude the problem in the same way. This time the wifi stays on: after leaving the phone alone for 15 mins, turning on the screem wifi is still connected. I reproduced this 4 (leave alone for 15 mins and test) and same result every time: wifi stays on.
  • I stayed at home for the whole time, so no connecting to different wifi networks.
  • This behaviour could explain why FP support cannot reproduce the problem: if due to some unknown event the phone gets into a state that results in this problem and rebooting resolves it, who knows what the cause is and how long it takes for the phone to get into this state.

I have the same problem (FP2 / Fairphone Open 17.03.0). As workaround, I install these app “https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roy.wifimonitor” - but I’m not happy with this workaround.

The same problem is with my new Acer tablet (Android 6).

On both devices, if I listen a stream, it drops after 10-20 minutes.

gruss ivo

Did you try the above mentioned workaround?
After coming from stand-by/sleep disable once the WiFi of the device, re-enable it while beeing in WiFi covered area, wait until it connects. Now your WiFi should stay connected until you leave the WiFi-covered area. After leaving, you have to repeat these steps.

This works always with my FP2 / FP OS 1.12.0 / Android5.1

This is an interesting fact
…for me until now WiFi Off & On worked ALWAYS. I do rarely reboot my phone (maybe once or twice a month?!).

But as @ivor reported same behaviour also with anoterh tablet device and Android6 … maybe this is a real Android problem and not provoked by the FP2 itself?