Wifi is disconnecting after 10 minutes in standby

Mi wifi works well. May I ask if you use any energy saving options? Some years ago, I had a similar issue with a laptop. As soon as I switched off the energy saving mode, it worked as it should…

1 Like

Which energy saving options do you mean? The only one I know is the Energiesparmodus (power saving mode?) which can be activated automatically at 15% or 5% of battery charge. Are there any other modes somewhere in the settings? I didn’t activate anything actively since I have the phone.

To be honest, I don’t know much energy saving options, since I don’t use them. It was just an idea, that the problem might be related to it. For example there is an option in the advanced wifi settings, about if wifi should always be active in standby mode.

IMHO if you go to settings->battery->battery saver and you turn it to “on” it’s always on and not only at 5 or 15 percent.

That’s true, it’s permanently on when you turn it on manually. But when it’s turned off and you have either 5% or 15% selected from the drop down it will be activated automatically as soon as the battery charge reaches that percentage. You can see that it’s active by the orange colour of the Android status bar as well as the permanently shown notification.

Hi, energy saving is off for me and the phone disconnects always after a couple of minutes. This is really annoying if I use a installed softphone and the connection always breaks then.

However it really seems to be connected to: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/wifi-reconnection-problem-exclamation-mark-after-reconnecting/11753/9

Google lead me to:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-5-0-lollipop/484781-why-there-exclamation-mark-beside-wifi-lollipop-5-0-2-a.html

Where users reported for a Moto G that putting the SIM card into another slot helped. As i have 2 SIM-cards I switched them in the slots. Voila: no exclamation mark anymore. So for me I get no exclamation mark if the SIM-card with mobile data is in slot #2.

Hope that helps
Frufo

Did this also solve Wifi disconnection problem for you (i.e. does it happen for you only when you see exclamation mark)?
I’ve checked my logs and Wifi remains connected during hours (screen on or off doesn’t matter). There’s no exclamantion mark for me with Wifi connection as I’m turning on mobile data only when there’s no Wifi available.

Hi Volker, sorry it seems I was too quick. It seems it was merely the reboot which only temporarily fixed it. After some time the exclamation mark came back and with it the connection issue.

Th exclamation mark seems to be only there when mobile data and wifi is enabled. At least only disabling Wifi + enabling it again does not make the exclamation mark away but disabling wifi + mobile data and then first enabling wifi and afterwards mobile data does for some time fix the exclamation mark.

Frufo

Hi frufo, for me it’s reproducible: wifi + exclamation mark only appears when mobile data was on while wifi connects.

@Volker and @frufo:
Until now we have no prooved connection between exclamation marks and de-activating WLAN, right?
Therefore your discussion seems off-topic and you could continue there. Or did I missed anything?
I will also ask there about the 10-min-issue.

For sake of completeness:
Inside the battery statistic the WLAN bar is also discontinued when the WLAN does switch off (after 10 min, but only somtetimes). I am using 2.4GHz only and have “Always on” enabled and no battery saving enabled. I see this behaviour also without having seen the exclamation mark and I normally have mobile data switched-off.

Any further clues until now?

Hey,

I’ve got the same wifi-problem. After some time I could find some “habits”.

The problem appears usually, when I leave the wifi-area (i.e. leaving the house) and let the wifi on. Now, when I return to the wifi-area, my FP2 see my wifi, but doesn’t connects to. After a few seconds (~30sec) it connects to the wifi but lose the connection after a few minutes when I turn off the screen. A reboot fixes the problem and the FP2 still holds the wifi connection.

When the wifi connection is disabled (without disconnecting first from the wifi) before leaving and enabled after returning the same behavior occurs. However, the FP2 does not act like this when I’m connecting to the wifi at my working place or at uni (does anyone noticed the same behavior?).

My Settings:

• Settings > Wifi > Advanced > Wifi always on
  • Settings > Wifi > Advanced > Frequency automatic
  • No energy savings
1 Like

I want to add that this bug is still persistent with FPOS 1.2.8.

For sake of completness: Bug reproduction:

1. If you freshly disable and enable WLAN, all is fine. WLAN will stay connected with your WiFi, also in Standby mode of the FP2.
  2. Now to provoke the bug: Enable WLAN, if not done before, and send FP2 to standby (PowerButton)
  3. Leave the coverage area of your WLAN without connecting to another WLAN, for ~10mins
  4. Come back to your own WLAN and wait 1 minute
  5. Now switch ON the FP (from standby) - probably you will see, that in this seconds the WLAN is just beeing reconnected, instead of doing it during the first minute back in the WLAN area.
  6. From this moment on, you should see the bug, if you don’t change the WLAN status:
  • Ensure WLAN is connected as before,
  • send the FP2 to standby for e.g. 10-15 min (maybe less),
  • switch on FP2 and you will see that WLAN is NOT connected anymore and is doing a reconnect in this seconds.
  • You can repeat this with sending FP2 back to standbay and wait 10-15 mins.
  1. You only can leave this faulty mode by disabling WLAN and re-enabling. Than everything is fine, until you leave again your WLAN coverage area.

As often stated above, WLAN settings are set to “Always on” and no further power saving mode is enabled, only 2.4GHz is choosen.

Hi,

When I’m connected to a WiFI network, and the phone goes into standby, it loses the connection and switches to 3G. So my Jabber connection is renewed over 3G, which causes unnecessary status updates and traffic usage.

In Settings / WiFI / Advanced, “Keep WiFi in standby” is set to “Always”. It just doesn’t work… anyone else with this problem?

FP2, FP OS 1.2.8

Sorry, missed your post initially. In the other topic the OP clarifies that they’re also losing cellular connection when in standby (though to be fair, there’s probably another topic about that somewhere too). As you’re describing only issues with wifi, I’ve moved your detailed description into this topic (which is seems more relevant).

I’ve also moved @j-unique’s post here, as it sounds like the same problem.

The bug exists also in the FP Open Source OS 16.04.0.
Did someone find a workaround for this?

For me, this problem seems to be gone with FP Open Source OS 16.04.0.

I just did some tests:
1 .Start a big download (1GB) with wifi on
2. Turn screen off/ Set FP2 into standby
3. Turn on again after 30minutes

Result:
Wifi symbol was hidden after I turned the FP2 on. After ~5 seconds the FP2 reconnected to the Wifi.
Also the majority of the download was done with 4G instead of Wifi (Could be really expensive in some cases…).

I have experienced this issue a few times, but not always.

Since I use connection to my wifi at home for smart lock, disconnection is obvious as I get asked for a password then.
Running FPOSOS, I didn’t have this problem for 2 weeks. Just a couple of days ago it appeared, after putting in my pin I saw the wifi symbol reconnecting.

I don’t know why and when it disconnects, haven*t yet found a pattern. Though, while charging the phone does not disconnect wifi (that I realized).

Now, my FP2 (still with FP Open OS 16.04.0) has started disconnecting again… :frowning:

2 Likes

I got a Fairphone two weeks ago, notice that it often loses connection with the wifi. Have been following this thread with interest, have a few things to try now. Hope it gets better.

1 Like