Why the internet really sucks right now

I use Firefox as my browser and as far as I am aware, they stopped downloading Java script.

I don’t understand that sentence. Could you please explain what you mean?

1 Like

Sorry, does not provide a Webextension for Javascript.

Did you mean: “A web extension for blocking JavaScript”?

But why does the NoScript website then state that their extension works in newer Firefoxes?

Nice list, I’d like to add NoScript to protect a little bit better against XSS vulnerabilities.

If you only want free JS programs loaded in your browser, see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/librejs/

As for Coursera, a lot of people in this world cannot afford education and MOOCs can lessen the gap, so that they can make themselves more valuable. I can no longer recommend Coursera ever since they only allow 1 free course for people who cannot afford.

I’m aware you can use content rippers plus refund on a site like Udemy. I never used such myself though.

Here’s a good read on someone who tried to live without the big 5 for a while. It was nigh impossible (meaning: you are using them…)

1 Like

You’re not alone. I’ve just tried to contribute to an open knowledge site called Open Library, originally created by Aaron Swartz, a hacker and activist that fought for the open internet, and I’ve been capriciously blocked from doing so. Fucking Gobble’s reCaptcha keeps telling me I’m a robot, although I’m a registered user with some previous contributions not doing any spammy activity or whatever.

I cannot understand how this institutions (Open Library is operated by The Internet Archive) repeatedly keep selling their users’s privacy to Gobble, who in turn exploits the public to train their private autonomous car AI, without their knowledge, their consent, or their free will. Noone wants to be a slave, but institutions are forcing you to and you need to be aware to even react.

HEAR ME: GOBBLE IS NOT AN AUTHORITY THAT CAN DISCRIMINATE BETWEEN USERS AND AUTOMATED BOTS. IT’S NOT OPEN, IT’S NOT NEUTRAL, IT’S NOT PUBLIC, IT’S NOT HONEST.

4 Likes

So glad you said this. I was left fuming over a similar experience with the website of a consumer protection organisation I subscribe to. That they sell a booklet about internet security jointly with G, hmmm … But that they want me to donate my time without consent as a paid up member?!

3 Likes

Yesterday I came across a toot about cloud firewall, a Firefox extension that “blocks connections to sites, pages and web resources hosted in major cloud services”.

I thought I already blocked all of that filth via hosts file and that the sites I use now don’t connect to those privacy offenders, but apparently I was way wrong.

Internet, you suck so bad! Please stop sucking.

3 Likes