Why is wireless charging not included in FP4

@Zoltan_Kozma

That partially answers a question I had long time ago, if NFC and QI charging was possible with only one antenna.

This cover at least shows that both functions can be integrated into it, it’s not quite sure though if there is only one or two different antennas and the circuitry involved. Anyway a complete set fixed in the cover.

@JeroenH

Maybe FP kept distance to the QI charging option due to it known having limited efficiency and bringing stress to the battery.

You can just buy a different phone, if wireless charging is all you want lol.

I personally find it completely useless, using a cable is both more efficient, and I can use my phone while it hangs on the cable, instead of laying on the charging station.

What I also don’t get is, why would you use wireless charging, when literally the only difference is, that you don’t have to plug a cable in? Like, you basically can’t even use the phone while it’s charging.

4 Likes

As far as I know wireless charging is bad for the climate and energy compared to charging by wire.
Which I don’t find fair when using a Fairphone.

Having the option of a wireless charging hopefully wouldn’t remove the USB option.

Though I don’t want the option I have no problem with it being implemented. The release of the strain on the USB, especially as it may, by some, be used for a USB DAC adapter would be of some serious benefit.

As far as using more electricity, I’m probably using 10 times more answering and following this discussion.

1 Like

But think about around 4 billion smartphones charged every day around the world.

All I can say about this is how people will charge their phones should be left in their jurisdictions. This is not the part where the manufacturer should decide on these options by annoying self-righteous virtue signaling.

It is not in any way meaningful to save or not save 5-10Wh a day when in one day your hot food+hot shower+heating+hairdryer+transportation+lighting…etc will cost you magnitudes more energy. It does not make sense to say it adds up… because in comparison it is statistically 0 especially if you do not use the grid to charge your phone and you will not need any charging cables or charging port replacements ever again not having to order it not having to be delivered to you.

What I would like to see is the option to choose it. That is all I would have wanted to see. I do not need them to thrust it on to unwanting customers. Just have the option to add one that is all and I go from there.

1 Like

If you consider environmental consequences and make phones then clearly it is your right to make such decisions. Fairphone make many decisions that are not what each and every consumer wants.

(“Whilst you’re pointing fingers other’s are judging you” ~Bob Marley ) This applies to each and every one of use.

It may even appear as an upgrade and then we can have the argument that your 10w times the 4, billion of Incanus adds up to an insignificant 40 million kilowatts.

There’s always a bigger picture, even this planet is insignificant except to those thriving on consuming it. Quick or slow, young or old. Wired or wireless.

3 Likes

I do consider them. And I have my own calculation and based on how I use my phone a wireless charger is fine. For others it may not be. That is why I think a blanket policy of not being compatible with it is not reasonable. Let me make a decision and let me bear the responsibility. I am not a sheep to be shepherded and I think society would move forward if we started respecting each others right to choose conscienciously. If I choose poorly then we can argue but before the fact I think is condescending.

Again no, because everyone will not wireless charge their phones. The it adds up argument is a false premise.

If you make the phone you make the decision, not the other way around.

The alternative is that all phones would have wireless charging which
a) could seem as environmentally wastefull and
b) Fairphone would have to act lie sheep and follow your direction or the recent trend.

If you are the consumer ~ you follow the weather and the prey. Fairphone is way up the ‘making phones’ ladder and not your or my prey.

I think you do not get me. The point exactly is this: They make decisions about their own products sure. That is not the thing that is debated here. The thing that I find bad that they turn down a valid feature with invalid reasoning.

This could be a long argument :slight_smile:

It’s Fairphone’s valid features and arguments, they build phone for a focused market.

End users have a choice which phone to buy. No phone will do exactly what I want.

There’s no bad in people’s choices as a manufacturer or end user just different goals.

The topic is a question and I’m sure there is a ref to Fairphone’s reasoning.

Your reasoning may be valid for you but sadly not for Fairphone, and me, I really don’t mind either way.

It’s matter of predicates. Some things can be both true and false at the same time, looking from different points of view, and sometimes it isn’t clear if something is valid or not. But then is can be any combination of the three.

1 Like

Why is it invalid? It’s about manufacturing a phone with additional coils, additional soft- and hardware, what will lead to more energy consummation. For a company called Fairphone a quite valid decision. Maybe uncomfortable, but reasonable.

2 Likes

Fairphone responded when questioned about this feature with an article that raises the question if wireless charging is OK when factoring in cable issues. One may assume that their reasoning is at least confused.

Having a 6.3 inch screen is environmentally wasteful (uses more energy than a smaller screen) but it is chosen as it provides the appropriate functionality that is expected on a modern smartphone.

1 Like

Just like leaving out an 3,5 mm jack and every single consumer can buy new wireless headphones, or an extra adapter… That’s also additional coils, extra waste, extra energy use, etc…

To me it seems Fairphone does not (always) uphold a solid line of strategy/or reasoning, just like some users on the forum.

1 Like

For sure, the energy efficiency is lower.

But the main reason for some users to use it is, that there fingers are not compatible with small things like small USB connector and are not able to plug it each evening on the power supply.

In my family are some persons (> 70 years old) which have not so flexible fingers anymore. Please take in consideration that millions of persons alone in EU have arthritis mostly in the fingers. Many others have similar handicaps or only trouble to plug small things.

Why you not support them? So the disadvantage of lower efficiency at charging are much lower than damaged connectors several times up to dropped smartphones, which are afterwards more or less broken.

How many energy you need to produce a simple display and some connectors?
How much is the loss off energy over lifetime of the smartphone?
I would assume that the differences are not so big.
Please be also aware that the cost and trouble to repair a smartphone (ok you have there a very good support) is quite high.

I believe this was already mentioned, but you can use magnetic USB connectors/cables. I would argue it is as convenient as wireless charging (maybe even more so in my opinion) and due to the fact that it’s physically connected, the energy loss is minimal. I use it for most of my devices (phone, headphones, e-reader, power bank, dashcam) and it works great.

But if you really desperately need wireless charging, it seems that it can be done using an external USB addon: How to Add Wireless Charging to Any Phone - YouTube

1 Like

I does this in the past. But first the long time stability of this connection is not good. Magnetic parts are mostly nicer fair nor environment friendly. Additional for the main persons I mentioned not a big benefit.

The aftermarket solution I used in the past too, you can kick the most solution after some weeks in the trash, so they are damaged.

But according my experience, in the moment it is for the pensioners a blocking point (at least the from me known ones). They have the money and will do something for the ecology.

Why not allow the user to decide, if they use the not so efficient wireless technology or the standard one? The extra material and effort is not so big and on top the electronic will be better protected like at a connector.

1 Like

Huh? Maybe I’m just lucky, but I’ve used the same connector and cable for about two years with my old phone and I use it now with FP4. I’ve never had any problems with it. I simply have the cable lying on a table, place my phone (or any gadget) near it and everything snaps together like magic.

I use a similar looking one. The main problem was the mechanical stability of the connector on one of them. The second have lost the functionality after some weeks w/o any visible/measurable reason.

Info: The devices was handled by the mentioned person group. I do not know if this can be the reason or at lest impacting it.

Why do you assume, that every single customer has to buy these things? I know a lot of people who never unwrapped the headphone coming with the phone, and never connected a headset to their phone. Or who already have a wireless headset that can be used with the FP4.

1 Like