Why is Fairphone not working with jolla?

There’s still the possibility of community ports.

3 Likes

I disnt know that it is more propietary. Could you please prove that? thanks

1 Like

See here.

1 Like

Well, for SFOS only the UI part is proprietary, if I recall correctly.
The “normal” Android which is provided by Fairphone itself has all the Google-stuff inside. I guess you could call the built-in Goggle apps more proprietary than the UI from Jolla.

So the less-proprietary Android comes from /e/ but is not available from start.

1 Like

Comparison of mobile operating systems - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Of course there is, and @mal did a very nice port for the FP2, but all the ports lack the ability to buy the additional license for execution of Android-apps.
So if you absolutely need one Android app (like in my case the DB Navigator), the port doesn’t help.

If you absolutely need a specific Android App, using Sailfish to run it is a baffling idea in the first place.

If you absolutely need this App, do Jolla guarantee that it works reliably with their Android environment in Sailfish?

DB Navigator is even Google-dependent (according to Aurora Store), so you can’ t even take for granted that it will run reliably on Android Custom ROMs without the genuine Google services.

2 Likes

remember that you can download microG to do that possible

Then you can use waydroid to install any Android app

We are not talking about getting an App to run possibly somehow because it would be nice to have. That will work in many cases.
We are talking about absolutely needing an App to run reliably.

microG doesn’t help with that, as Google can break compatibility with changes to their services (which microG tries to mimic) on their side at any time, with microG then having to catch up again, and in the meantime (however long) you can’t run your important App partly or at all.

I’m running several Google-dependent Apps including DB Navigator on /e/OS with the help of microG (for convenience, I don’t absolutely need them), and I’ve seen Google compatibility break in practice, and I’ve seen that it can take a while for microG to restore compatibility.

It’s important to be aware of such limitations.

2 Likes

There are many reasons to choose SFOS over Android, and many reasons against, but as long as Android compatibility is given, I would happily choose SFOS.
And imagine, life-circumstances change. Maybe I am totally happy with SFOS (and don’t need Android apps) and at some point I have to take a new job and need a specific app. Or something else like that.
Jolla advertises the Android compatibility, so one should count on that promise.
Or maybe a pandemic occurs while I onw a phone with SFOS and I want to install a corona warn app (I know there is an app for this in openrepos for SFOS, but it does not do what the CWA can do).

Additionally I can tell you that Aurora is only partially right. The DB Navigator works very well without Google. I use it with microG, but I am not sure if it even needs that for the basic functions. I think, as long as you can live without maps and without push notifications, you could even go without microG.

Nevertheless, I would very much like to see a port for the FP4, as many people can go without Android compatibility and SFOS is a great OS.

Edit: I see that you mention DB Navigator with microG, I was typing too slow :wink:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, what do you absolutely need this particular app for?

I travel by DB a lot and my daily driver is a FP2 running SFOS.
I can buy tickets via the web browser, either beforehand from another device or using my phone. In both cases I get the ticket as a PDF by email which I can download and open just fine on my phone to present the QR code if checked.
If there is a delay, I get an email as well that includes a link to check alternative connections. This one opens just fine on the default SFOS browser as well. Though I tend to use an app called Fahrplan instead to check connections.

Just leaving this here in case this is actually the only thing holdig you back from using SFOS and not just a theoretical argument. :wink:

3 Likes

Increasing the stakes like that only increases the disadvantage of a non-certified, no chain of responsibility in sight environment to run Android Apps.

A source for this promise would be nice. Is Jolla’s Android environment Google certified? I’m un-ironically interested.
Had a look at Sailfish on my Fairphone 2 myself in the beginning.

We can certainly agree on that.

Not really there is an aim to support as many as ‘possible’
RE: @AnotherElk sceptisim

Before installing any Android apps one must install AndroidTM App Support (simulation of the Android system on Sailfish OS) which is available in the Jolla Store. This requires the Sailfish X licence on Xperia devices.

2 Known limitations to Android App Support

As mentioned before, we cannot ensure 100% compatibility of Android apps with Sailfish OS. Often, this is caused by the missing access to certain interfaces at Google services (see chapter 1.1.1). It is also possible that some features of Android applications are not supported. Two examples:

• Reading any other information besides contacts information on your device, e.g. doesn’t read or react to SMS messages’ content, can’t read calendar data
  • Utilizing Bluetooth connections for any other purpose other than streaming music to a Bluetooth headset or speakers (smartwatches are a typical example of devices not supported)
2 Likes

@anon9989719 summed it up. Of course they don’t guarantee a 100% compatibility, but that was not what I was trying to say, maybe I should consult deepl.com sometimes before posting in English :wink:

1 Like

The compulsion to use DB Navigator results from a strange decision by my employer regarding proof of expenses for business trips.
Now of course I could talk to the works council, but as a new employee I don’t want to expose myself like that.

Side aspect: is the browser now so up to date again that you can buy tickets with it?
For a while it didn’t work when I ran my FP2 with SFOS. And webcat wasn’t a viable alternative either, in my opinion.

If SFOS was at a level that I could get by without Android apps, I’d be right back in. Half a year ago I installed it again on a Sony XA2, but I was missing three things: DB Navigator, Corona warn app and a decent browser. Btw: the Corona-Warn-App of the rki does not work with the compatibility layer if I understand it correctly, as it would need access to the BT which it hasn’t .

But I’m afraid this is a bit off-topic, so I’ll let the main discussion take over again now.

I think you got it about right, we learn by making errors not by avoiding them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They tried to in past, but they’re two small companies, so in the end as soon as its about money and resources it is going to be silent. Whereas /e/ is being backed up by someone who’s a successful businessman (founder of Mandrake Linux).

How often do you have to use the application? Can’t you just run it in a VM on a computer at home?

No idea of who tried what but there is talk and detail of the idea.

https://together.jolla.com/question/211246/fairphone-3-announced/

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.