Why I won't buy a Fairphone

Oh sorry, that explains it: you are a great chooser. It’s a pity though that very few consumers have your skills. In order to educate them, would you kindly give us the scores of your phones according to the ifixit evaluation available in the following link please?

https://www.ifixit.com/smartphone-repairability

1 Like

I hope I can get in contact with them, beacuse I think they got me wrong. I don’t want to build my own phone, I want to cooparate with them, to finish this project. I don’t have experience where to manufacture this stuff in a manner that’s fair and good for the environment. They can manufacture and sell it, I just did the design.

2 Likes

You are correct. Respect!

1 Like

@Dr_Cool sarcasm aside, I think I never said anything about other costumers, I only said I’m likely a better chooser than you according to our statistics so far. :smiley: Now seriously, I only meant that in my opinion those numbers show I’m more concerned than you in longevity when buying a phone (or that you have an incredibly bad luck!)

In order to please you I checked that link but neither phone appear there. In any case I didn’t need any repair ever: the phone I bought in 2009 worked with no problems whatsoever until 2013 when it started to reset randomly maybe once every couple of days, then I gave it away as a present, warning the new owner that it had started to fail. Phone bought in 2013, I’m typing with it right now, worked flawlessly until last month when it started to turn off randomly about once a week (I want perfect reliability so it’s time for a change)

I see, how silly of me to not have thought of the possibility that I’m the only consumer of HTC, Samsung and Huawei products! I wonder though, for the sake of enlightening us all, uneducated users of this forum: could you kindly tell us what are the brands and models of those two wondrous phones that you were so skillful and thoughtful at selecting? That would be really helpful as instruction aid, so we can make a better choice next time.

@Leo_TheCrafter I think there is no doubt about what your intentions are. Maybe the company is not interested in a new board component for the FP2 because that doesn’t fit their internal plans, maybe they don’t trust that the work of a lone developer could be actually be good, maybe they don’t pay any attention to the hardware community… There could be many explanations for their silence, but I really don’t think that they have misunderstood you and the whole conversation in your thread.
I used to make very simple PCBs in the past, so I understand that your effort is just amazing, congratulations. I hope you’ll get attention from the company at least to tell you if there is a real possibility of using your work or not.

1 Like

It is very wise not to buy a Fairphone! I bought my FP2 2,5 years ago (Summer 2016) and it started to disfunction already after a year: spontaneous reboots, difficulties making phone calls, hard/impossible to enter, spontaneously and randomly starting apps etc. Eventually I refurbished my FP2 Summer 2018. I bought a new battery, a new core module (very hard to get hold of!!), etc. Now all trouble are all starting again. It is dramatic. The FP2 is a very bad and after a short while not functioning smart phone. It is not worth a cent of its relatively high price.

It’s not very wise to use faulty device for a year waiting for the warranty to run out and then complain about it.

8 Likes

@Dr_Cool Since you’re so upset that you keep being sarcastic and I may add insulting, I’ll answer you: Samsung Galaxy (2009) and Motorola Moto G (2013).

Both started a couple of series that last until today. Looks like you thought I was talking about some obscure manufacturer, they are just two very robust first models. I guess I couldn’t find them in your link because being so old.

I suppose companies put a lot of effort in their first model being perfect, Samsung because they wanted to enter the Android market and Google (Motorola owner in that moment) to further push it against Apple.

I’m not implying that whenever a company starts a series you’ll get a reliable long lasting device: Fairphone itself couldn’t achieve it with the FP1. I guess you need a lot of money too, to assure high quality. And not even that guarantees you a success, there is also ethics and other factors.

For example I’ve read these days that Xiaomi has launched a new company called Pocophone, and despite its first phone has had extremely good reviews, it appears to me based in several reasons that it is not reliable at all. I mention this one because it totally dwarves FP2 hardware specifications while being much cheaper, and anyway I won’t buy it either because I don’t think is reliable enough.

Now, I have the feeling that you would love to reply something along “please educate us with your superior knowledge about why Pocophone F1 sucks” or something like that, but I’m not claiming such superior knowledge at all, I’m just claiming I’m very careful consumer who wants devices to last very long and who hates programmed obsolescence.

3 Likes

Dear forum users,
I’ve temporarily closed the topic to give the heated discussion time to cool down.
You may use the meantime to consult the forum rules in the FAQ.
Please avoid sarcasm or alike.
Thanks!

This topic was automatically opened after 27 hours.

I see, you were happy using a phone that stopped receiving system updates only 3 months after its commercial launch. It’s pretty evident then that your criteria for judging the quality of a product are quite different from the criteria of most people in this forum.

Samsung’s Galaxy stuck in history

This isn’t the Android I was looking for

It seems no one will be updating the Galaxy to Android 2, annoying customers whose purchase decision was based on what it would do rather than what it could do.

The Galaxy was launched in September and has been updated a couple of times since, but it seems that the handset won’t be getting an upgrade to Android version 2 despite the new OS coming less than two months later. This is a decision that some customers see as a betrayal of the Android promise.

Source : https://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/30/galaxy_android_2/

Concerning your Moto G, and unless you’ve been using the same battery for the last 5 years, could you kindly explain the procedure that you used to replace its battery?

2 Likes

I’m just a basic user who was happy to communicate through FP2 since 2015. I carried it all over Eurasia and I was able to use it even in some remote and cold Siberian places. No trouble at all. I had to replace the battery once and I recently upgraded Android for the second time. I intend to mount the “new” camera as soon as possible because the one that I bought with the phone is really outdated. So, I am quite satisfied with the phone and I find the previous discussion uninteresting: I have a good and sturdy device, which was produced at an accepted higher cost than most of the competitors, yet for good reasons.

13 Likes

And I would add that when you go to visit the plants and mines producing the components and checking their employees are paid correctly and are not underpaid children, you spend more in assessing that, and you buy it more expensive because they are adequately paid adults.

On top of producing less quantities (and that has an impact), not going through slavery has a cost too…

6 Likes

Very interesting analysis. 2 years ago I was on a very similar situation. But with the same ranking as you had on values and priorities, I decided to buy an FP2. Why?
Because Social Values and Software freedom were more important than longevity and reliability.
I personally decided that supporting this unique project is much more worthy than having a smartphone that lasts 5 years. Social values and sw freedom is the change I want to happen in the world.
That’s why I think that by choosing not to buy the FP2, you are implicitly shifting your priorities. Which is perfectly fine and respectable, just be aware of it :wink:

10 Likes

He’s actually not trying to build a Fairphone (phone), rather a phone and is asking Fairphone (company) if they can share their list of ethical factories or where they source their component: as they were able to build a fair phone (two words), can they share their provider list? (If I understood correctly).

hi all! thank you @Alzhaid for starting this topic and sharing your thoughts and considerations about buying a new phone. I have had a FP1 1st edition for 5 years, it was my first smartphone and it came just in time, as I was looking for a sustainable device for a long time before. I have had almost nothing to complain about. I’m not a heavy gamer or user anyway and the phone worked like a charm. And I was and am proud to support a groundbreaking initiative in this worldwide very influential and impacting electronics industry.
Striving for longevity I didn’t mind that since 3 years ago more and more popular and useful Apps after another upgrade turned out to be uncompatible with the OS of the phone. The last months all browsers started to complain that websites were unsafe, but I found out this was caused by the absense of updates with the necessary certificates, so I kept visiting them. Combined with a growing slowness, unstable battery (only my second, in use for three years but replacement is unavailable) and some other discomforts I decided to start looking for a new phone. At first I went looking on this forum for tips to overcome the problems, but I didn’t find any useful, as the topics about FP1 are getting old and outdated. I even thought about starting a topic ‘How to keep FP1 alive?’ :slight_smile:
So about a month ago I started my quest for a replacement of my FP1. I’m not very educated in hardware and software developments, but I try to keep a basic understanding of what it is about. I recognize many of your thoughts about buying a new phone. For me also sustainability in many aspects is leading, so the Greenpeace list of sustainable electronics was my starting point. Fairphone of course is the top, so FP2 would be my first choice. I know the device very well because my wife has one for about two years, and has had little trouble with it and is happy.
But the hardware is almost three years old now. As longevity was my second criterium (the most sustainable phone - or anything - is the one that is not made :wink: ) and being aware of software developments going so fast I decided not to take the risk that in just a couple of years the hardware - and maybe the OS too - of FP2 will not be able to run new Apps. And the price would be relatively high, which is at this moment very unaffordable for me (but this was not the main reason to start searching). Sadly I can not wait for FP3 as a replacement.
I did a time consuming search with these criteria, learned about CPU’s and Snapdragons, found out replaceable batteries are fased out :frowning: (only a couple of older models still have them) and a lot of other features that are to be acknowedged in the choice.
Just before this discussion started I bought my replacement. Obviously I didn’t find the ideal device, but one that I trust to meet my requirements - and my conscience - for the next hopefully at least 5 years. And at half the price of the FP2… I find it not appropriate to mention the brand and model here as I don’t want to lead anyone away from FP2.
I really want to thank all of the repliers to this topic too, as the total of the discussion forms IMHO a really good balance and also a good plead for FP2 (thank you @Paula!) with many relevant considerations. I agree Fairphone should make a marketing effort in promoting more details and benchmarks (although other brands are not transparant about the things we would like to compare with FP2) as I expect still many other FP1 users will now start to wonder about a new phone.
Btw: Does anyone know how many of them are still in use? And how this number/percentage compares to other devices? Although there have been quite a number of complaints about FP (1 and 2) on this forum, I think this is due to the transparancy of this forum which is way higher then any other brand offers. I have read a lot of comparable problems with other devices and brands too on many forums, but most producers don’t even react to them, leaving the users in the dark or obliged to just buy a new phone. Transparancy must not lead to a conclusion FP has any less quality then other phones.

To finish my contribution: with a little pain in my heart I have a carefully kept almost undamaged FP1 in offer. Has anyone suggestions what to do with it? Is anyone interested in spare parts (I don’t know if they can be taken out for reuse) or any other goal? Please let me know, and I will be glad to hand it over to you.
Thank you, people of Fairphone! I wish you very much success in promoting sustainable and fair electronics! I hope my next phone in 5 years time will be a FP 4. Or 5 :smile:

9 Likes

You could check for fairphoneangels in your area. They could make good use of the spare parts and distribute them to people in need of replacements.
Otherwise you can offer your phone here on this forum in the marketplace either as giveaway or for sale.

In such situation, the best approach to me seems to be to buy a used Fairphone 2 for use while waiting for an eventual Fairphone 3.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.