Why FP3 comes with an OS which is not privacy oriented?

That might vitally be true, but then all the discussion on a privacy oriented os is just academic stuff. And it evendently contradicts the statement, that lots of people care about privacy and would want an OS that is delivering on this aspect.

How do you want to sell this to people, making them want it.

Everyone is used to IOS or Android, which have come a long way regarding develpement and usability. Switching to something new would mean relearning how to use your phone, and, as you said regarding cars, a phone is just a tool that has to work.
Let’s take the broswer for example:

• Firefox had a market share of more than 30% about ten years ago.
  • Nowadays - if you are right - it is hardly known, though they do lots of advertising and offer at least the same functionality.

How do I make people switching the OS, if they don’t even switch the browser for privacy reason. Especially, when they have to relearn the “how to” of all the basic handling.

While you can sell a car by design and emotions, I can’t imagine doing so with an OS.

Btw: You should care about your car and privacy issues as well, with all those connected functions nowadays build into them.

2 Likes

I think selling a OS is a terrible idea: most people don’t know anything about computers and they don’t want to know anything about computers. Even a relatively simple system recovery can be challenging for the average Joe.

Instead sell something that depends on the OS and the consumer is more comfortable with. A wrapper if you will, that will make the decision of the end consumer easier to make. For example /e/ is selling a smartphone and I recall a while back that some PC manufacturers gave (limited) video/audio software licences with their PC to compete against the MacBook. People these days however seem to buy Apple products simply because they are Apple products.

Browsers are different today than they were 10 years ago. Today they all have similar features and work great, so there’s little reason to look elsewhere other than personal interest or very particular edge cases where a particular extension is needed. I personally like how Vivaldi is the only one trying to bring something interesting in terms of UI customization, for example.

Google Chrome is the undisputed marketshare leader because, among other reasons, it integrates nicely with your smartphone and a lot of what people do online these days including Google Sheets, Google Drive, etc. Even if you use an iPhone you still download the Youtube app.

The only reason to use Firefox is a personal interest in technology or priv.acy. And people are quite happy with their current digital lifestyle as things are today.

Well not really we’re just talking about computers that are placed inside a car rather than sitting in an office desk. I’m aware of the privacy implications, however

Hello Everyone!
There is now a privacy oriented OS for Fairphone 2 : https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP2/
And soon for Fairphone 3, you can become a tester here: https://community.e.foundation/t/fairphone-3-fp3-support-on-e/6438/101?u=julien
You can close the subject now as there is a dedicated subject about /e/ on Fairphone 3 here: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/e-for-fp3-google-free-os/

Now? This has been around for quite a while now on the Fairphone 2 :wink: .

/e/ (formerly Eelo) first beta is here and it supports FP2!

Are you sure?
I don’t want to argue too much, it’s your topic, but you started it originally about Fairphone not delivering the phone with a privacy oriented OS, and as Fairphone are not officially involved in the development of /e/ and don’t give support with /e/ running on it … would this really be a solution in the original sense of this topic?
I just like me some consistency, call me pedantic :slight_smile: .

1 Like

mmmmh… yes, let’s keep shouting on FP then… useful?
I mean there is a solution now. Whatever FP is officially or unofficially contributing on it. The result is : now there is at least 1 privacy oriented OS for Fairphone 3.
I can’t technically close the subject that’s why I asked a powerful contributor of this forum to do it :slightly_smiling_face:
It’s maybe not 100% perfect regarding the sense of the original topic but it’s much better than nothing

2 Likes