Why FP3 comes with an OS which is not privacy oriented?

But Fairphone Open is not an OS done from scratch. To my knowledge it is a basic Android (or Fairphone OS) without the Google stuff. FPOOS in this regard was a derivative of FPOS.
I have no idea, if your idea regarding Lineage OS is in any way feasible.
Would be interesting to learn what the LOS community would think about a company trying to take over control. This - to me - seems a bit contradictory.

And finally the statement posted by @AnotherElk stays valid whatsoever.
You never would get this phone sold to the mass market, when it does not offer Google services. There are quite a lot people out there using e.g. location services, Google maps, playstore and cloud all the time. They don’t care to bother with MicroG and stuff like that. They want a phone like all the others.
That’s at least my experience and impression.

Edit:

Hope and Official are a bit contradictiory as well, don’t you think so?
Plus this sentence

Since this is a hypothetical poll about future FP models

should clarify, that this is nothing official.

3 Likes

Thanks, very interesting discussion.

If it would be the case, /e/ and LOS won’t be at the top of the poll.
I’m sorry, most of the people who want a phone like other, buy a Huawei or One Plus or Nexus or something like that.
FP customers are different.

I think one of the reasons might also be that people who are more tech addicted can be found with registered accounts in a forum like this and take part in the poll.
Maybe LOTS of other people don’t and are so far happy with the FPOS (i.e. Google Android).
I think to remember that I’ve read somewhere that less than 10% of FP2 users have used an alternative OS on their FP2. So, as said, maybe this big amount of people have not taken part in the poll…

I’ve been using /e/ for more than a year and I’m really happy with it. I’d also like to see a closer cooperation between Fairphone and /e/.
On the other side Fairphone has limited resources and has to decide on which to invest the resources…
And at the end, /e/ is still in Beta. Would you try to sell more than 100.000 devices and install on OS being in beta status? Who shall support that?

6 Likes

To my knowledge just 5% did install a different OS, although Fairphone proposed this OS from day one on and supported it the same way they did FPOS.

5 Likes

Unless they aren’t in the aspect you think they are …

You can deny reality all you want … reality doesn’t mind and will right now not give you what you want :wink: .

6 Likes

And here the statistics for Lineage OS.
https://stats.lineageos.org/model/FP2

5 Likes

No. Open OS is not that different from FP OS. Lineage is.

I don’t think anybody but you misunderstands it that way.

FP3 is different from FP2 and it runs a different Android version. But nobody said they wouldn’t still release an Open OS for the FP3. With the FP2 it also came quite a while after the device was released.

Well, duh. Go to a Google event and the situation will be opposite.

Yes and they prioritized selling more devices instead of selling to a fringe community.
Their main aim is and will always be to change the problems with the supply chain in the electronics industry and they have a better chance at that if they don’t pursue too many other goals simultaneously.

A forum poll is never representative at all. Especially if the CEO of /e/ mobilizes for it on social media.

10 Likes

I had exactly the same question in mind. I’d really love to be wrong, but it seems that we are facing another saddly case of using solidarity and enviromentalism as marketing strategy. It is a too obvious contradiction in the FP philosophy.

I still have to read the whole post with all the replies, and I am not a native english speaker, I’ll need some time. What is for sure is that I am not going to buy a product in order to protect and save other’s rights, when some one is violating mine.

@JulienGarrigue Purism and its phone Librem5 could be a good option.

Thanks.

Not just in terms of privacy. They use the open source work of others to make money without returning the customized source code from the beginning. Fairphone simply violates the GPL.

You’ve read the other thread. No real statement from Fairphone. Except they write after three months, zhat they now try to get the source code from the contract programmer. The moderator just closed it. No more discussion.

1 Like

What the hell?!! After this I really do not need more explanations, thank you @FairOpenIsGreat. This is totally sad and frustrating… They have shown their real face.

What topic would that be?

FP released the source code. See here.

9 Likes

You know, it’s really tempting to let people like you just wallow around in their own irrationality and old knowledge, probably bugging off somewhen to pester another project that tries to better some things, but we ought to be nice here I guess :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Guys, you really stress the patience of everyone in this forum trying to help others.
Here’s just my statements (and mine personally, nothing Fairphone, as this whole forum is nothing official Fairphone).

1. The thread was closed, because it was repeating itself endlessly, without any new argument, just new open-source addicts starting to complain again.
    It is now reopened, as Fairphone has published the source code.
  2. Fairphone is a small company, that is trying to change the business. Their first aim was the fairness in sourcing the minerals and working conditions. They have come a long way to this regard, even other, bigger companies are starting to follow their example.
  3. The open-source community, focusing on a Google-free OS has shown to be a minority of around 5% of Fairphone users. Although they offered an easy way to an Open OS for years now, this percentage did not grow. Therefore consider yourself just a very loud minority of Fairphone users, trying to sound more important.
  4. Your selfrightousness is really telling more about yourself, than it is about Fairphone. You do not adress the responsible contact point, which would be “Customer Support” and you do never ever consider any argument. It’s always “… but the rules …” with you. Like you always stick to rules like this.
  5. For the vast majority of Fairphone users the fair minerals, fair working conditions and repairability are much more important than publishing the source code or having an open-source OS available.

So, if you have something new to tell, please do so. I am really interested in everything new. But hearing the old complaints over and over again is quite tiresome.

19 Likes

@AnotherElk
Irrationality? I’d say it is just the opposite. Google is a monster that goes directly against the supossed Fairphone values . It is a matter of logic.

1 Like

As it goes against logic to tackle every problem of the smartphone industry with a small startup at once.
To stay in business they had to prioritize and - fortunately for me and the majority - they prioritzed usability and adressing the masses.
While your focus is fairness for you (as Queen said “I want it all and I want it now”), the focus of FP and me is with the less privileged in mines and factories far away.

9 Likes

I see your point and I really respect it. What I am trying to say is that coherence has to be a priority and it is possible to protect all rights for us all. Here’s a high risk of letting the power companies to violate good hopefull projects, because they corrupt them.

You were pretty right on your last post 14 min. ago, so I’m off. There’s no need to keep discussing on this topic. I’ll keep an eye on it, but that’s all.

Thank you.

1 Like

I’m wondering just one last thing: to get a Fairphone with Open Os, do we have to install it by ourselves or can we buy a Fairphone with Open Os preinstalled already. I mean, during the buying process do we have a clear choice between GoogleOs and OpenOs?

1 Like

Ok, that is a great message. The best message this month! Btw. I have to order a FP3 again. :slight_smile:

They should write a blog post about it.

2 Likes

Every FP2 was sold with FPOS. While I’d also prefer having the option to select the OS you want before buying*, I get that this would mean a lot of additional logistics effort at FP, and the people who want to have an alternative OS are able to install it very easily (although I’d like to see it as an option in the Updater, which shouldn’t be so hard to do).

*I use and FP2 with LOS15 (Android 8) and obviously no GApps, and I definitely won’t use an FP3 until there is a G00gle-free OS for it (but even then I won’t switch, because my FP2 is working fine and the fairest phone is the one you already own)

5 Likes