Why does the edge of the phone seem to conduct electricity?

Just to get this out of the way, I don’t believe in any esoteric BS about electromagnetic fields or something, when I say I can feel it, I mean it physically “tingles”.

@anon9989719, in your experience, what would be the best test setup to measure this?
I have a multimeter with a 22000 count of precision (whatever that means) and I could capture graphs, if that’s necessary.

I’m in the dark as to what you want to test.

Any sensitive multimeter can measure very low voltages.

• Voltage (Potential Differenece) bewteen the the metal edge and the ground
  • Voltage (Potential Differenece) bewteen the the body (hand) and the ground
  • Voltage (Potential Differenece) bewteen the the body and the metal edge.

With wet hands 24V can be felt else it’s nearer 50 with very dry skin.
Very low voltages, in single figures, can be felt but very unusual.

While the phone is charging, I can feel a “tingling sensation” at various points if I slide around the metal frame with one finger.

I would like to measure that phenomenon, as precise as possible. Certainly it’s unlikely there’s a charge of 24V somewhere, but I can feel it when it’s getting charged and it stops when it’s not, so there has to be a way to reliably measure that.

You have a lot of experience with that stuff, I don’t, that’s why I’m asking you :slightly_smiling_face:

As I said in the previous post you can measure the potential differences to begin with.

Once you have some results it can be use to indicate further tests.

You will want to measure both in DC and AC

The charger supplies DC at a max of 20V most likely and is unlikely to be fed to the metal rim.

Any AC overflow will be by an EMF induction from the mains.

You cab try a 12V DC car charger to see if there is any tingling and again I doubt there will be a DC voltage on the rim

1 Like

I re-did the measurements in AC mode.

• free-air (i.e. one probe on ground pin of power outlet, the other not connected to anything): 0.25 V AC
  • phone-ground: 0.33 V AC
  • body-ground: 0.35 V AC
  • body-phone: 0.25 V AC (I also measured DC, there’s also nothing there)

The highest number was when I disconnected the charger and measured ground pin in outlet vs. the USB-C cable ground - 30 V AC. But that was when the charger had to be inactive because the PD controller should shut down the circuitry.

@hirnsushi do you use a PD charger, or is it a “dumb” USB charger?

1 Like

I can replicate it with several different chargers / cables , one of them the official Fairphone one, but several non-PD ones as well.

Haven’t had time to check a car charger though, or take proper measurements with the different combinations.

1 Like

30V AC ???

That implies either the mains ground isn’t grounded verey well or there’s sloem 30V on the phone.

So a check of the ground pin on the mains to the actual ground if you can, maybe a copper water pipe etc.

And measure the phone ground likewise to a copper water pipe or go outside and stick one probe in the earth.

30V is unlikely to be produced by the phone though.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.