ok, i found it
i needed to add my phone ID to ~/.android/adb_usb.ini
(see here – unfortunately only in german)
–> find it via “lsusb” (run it, disconnect the phone, run it again – you see which ID is missing, that was the phone ;))
add “0x” + the first 4 characters of the ID (before the colon)
so, e.g. “0x1234” to the file (create it if it does not exist)
adb doesn’t work if you have any of these USB modes enabled, in my case. Just disable the one you have enabled (uncheck the active tick) to clear a path to ADB to work
@jme: It should have something to do with usb debugging not enabled correctly or missing drivers in the pc.
Does your pc see the phone and is it able to navigate in the phone?
Does your phone display a notification of usb debugging enabled?
it works now (se above) … the phone was still in PTP mode… so that was ok
hey, thanks for the instant reply!
i figured it out – see above. needed to add my phone id for adb to work first.
Thank you for the creative solution! That was something new here in the forum, I think.
yeah, well… signal still does not work.
the tingle patching reported that it was successful – so i guess it must be the issue from above: UnifiedNlp’s self-check does not have a known location
You need microG Services Core, not UnifiedNLP. The latter is only for location services, the former replaces more Google services. Add the microG’s repo to F-Droid:
And update to the latest microG Services Core:
i installed microG from fdroid according to the abovementioned guide (5.5).
there it says
Install the latest
*microG Services Core
may be called “µg UnifiedNlp (no GAPPS)” instead, but make sure it displays “microg” and not “F-Droid” as the repository.
*microG Services Framework Proxy
and at least one Unified NLP backend (from F-Droid repository).
I did all of this. Do I still need to install the apk from their website? (i.e. your link)
If yes, then our guide should be updated.
Just be sure to have version 0.2.4-39 or higher
Enable the Google device registration from microG Settings and try again, maybe?
After checking the version, check also that everything is OK in the self-check then enable “Google device registration” and “Google Cloud Messaging”.
After that to be sure Signal is registered in GCM clear the data of Signal and restart it.
well ok. something’s wrong. I do not see any “microG settings” only “UnifiedNlp”-settings. I did add the µG fdroid repository and I made sure to install everything I quoted above. And yes, fdroid did not list “microG Services Core” but “µg UnifiedNlp (no GAPPS)”.
So something might be off with the repo and/or instructions. I will try with the apk from their site and report back
Don’t mind the name, it fails sometimes. See more here about this naming issue:
Strange F-Droid microG Services Core update behaviour
Did you update repos (
symbol at F-Droid main view) and installed the latest listed version? Preview, 0.2.4-39, not stable
It is easier to download the apk from web browser at
https://microg.org/download.html than get the correct version on F-Droid.
Check that you have removed UnifiedNlp before installing microG.
The guide you used explains very explicitly how you get the right version:
my original post was moved
so for the sake of making this thread complete, i will just quote the “solution” part of that post:
ok, I still managed yesterday. it was indeed the microG version which was wrong.
Here is how it happened:
After adding the µG repo to fdroid, when i searched for “microg” among the results are
microG Services Framework Proxy …
µG UnifiedNlp (GAPPS)
µG UnifiedNlp (no GAPPS)
µG UnifiedNlp (GAPPS) (legacy)
When I selected “µG UnifiedNlp (no GAPPS)” it showed that it is from the µG repo. So I installed it. It installed version 1.6.7.After it became obvious to me that this is not the real version (you asked me to check the "microG Settings, I only hat UnifiedNlp settings), I had fdroid only show me the contents of the µG repos. And only then did “microG Services Core” appear in the list. When I selected it, it indicated that it is installed and that it wants to “update” from version 1.6.7 to 0.2.4. After I did this, everything worked.
(And now I see that I could have achieved the same by selecting the version 0.2.4-39 from the list it gives you in fdroid when you select “µG UnifiedNlp (no GAPPS)”. By default it installs version 1.6.7 which is from the “F-Droid” repo (which I did not notice, because it is somewhere down in the list! I just saw that it says “microG F-Droid repo” (first list entry) and thought that it’s ok then.)
I see now that this is pretty much the link that you posted
@Roboe (twice )
and thanks @all for your support and clarifications! =)