My FP1: Five years and counting! | Who is still using their FP1?

Same here.
My FP1 still serves its purpose as a backup phone for my FP2.
Since the reboots issue was fixed by the simple tiny strip glued to the battery frame, that’s not often necessary. I still have it on me most of the time.
And my wife uses hers still as her one and only phone.
We just had to get a generic battery; thats all.

5 Likes

I’m also still using a FP1 since January 2014 on Android 4.2.2. After 2 years I had to exchange the battery.
Maybe I’ll try the upgrade to 4.4.4 to make Signal work again.

I’m eagerly waiting for the FP3…

4 Likes

@Those who are giving the badges:
I know, I am a bit fussy, but wouldn’t it be good to keep those badges in order?

When inventing new badges like the “X years of Fairphone 1/2” and giving them to community members, maybe they could be made coherent.

• The ranking of the badges
    3years FP1 is a silver badge
    4years FP1 is a bronze badge
    5years FP1 is a golden badge
    3 years FP2 is a golden badge (what will be the next step? I would make it a bronze one.)

• The giving of badges
    I just think, that everyone getting a 4 or 5 years badge should get the lesser badges as well (as everyone having the phone for 5 years has it for 3 and 4 years as well). At the moment, that’s not the case.

I know, it’s just a kind of aesthetic thing I stumbled upon, so please don’t take it too seriously, I really don’t care, if it’s ignored.

5 Likes

I have the classic case of ‘I’ve had this axe for 25 years - 3 new heads and 5 handles - great axe, I’d never replace it!’…

My wife got her FP1 in September 2014 through Phone Coop. I replaced the (broken) screen buying a replacement from FP, and then again using a ‘bricked’ phone bought on ebay; I bought a FP1 for myself when my old phone needed replacing in 2016 from ebay (advertised as ‘for parts’ but with a little coaxing it came to life).
My wife’s power button died (on the FP!) so I cannibalised the other parts from the bricked phone (had to un-brick the motherboard and sort out IMEIs), then the screen smashed (again). We had a discussion about looking after sensitive IT equipment and I found a Sony (with Android 6) on ebay about the same size as the FP1 (size matters!) - she’s smashed the glass screen protector but the phone is still intact… I am dreading the idea of trying to repair that phone!
I am still using ‘her’ FP1 with the screen off my ebay phone (GPS never worked on mine so I wanted to swap), and have upgraded it to Android Kitkat. Would thoroughly recommend Kitkat in terms of performance, but a few minor quirks to get used to.
So nearly 5 years on the ‘same’ FP1 :slight_smile:
Not much of this would have been possible without the help and support of this Forum, so if there are any badges being handed out… there are more deserving people out there!

Any sign of a FP3 on the horizon? Would like it to be small, preferably indestructible (!) and 2 sims. Oh, and easy to repair if it’s not indestructible. No need for anything more fancy in my opinion.

6 Likes

FP1U here - since July or August 2014. I cracked the screen a few weeks ago (AARGHH) but it’s not too obvious. And I have to do a workaround to upload Strava routes (Android 4 no longer supported) but most of my favourite apps work fine.

The strangest thing is the charging socket - it’s always been a little temperamental and will only charge from one particular (broken) HTC cable. No other cable will work, but hey… he’s an old man, so he’s allowed to be eccentric :smiley:

5 Likes

I still intensively use my second batch FP1U. I ordered it in May, 2014, got it in August, 2014. I’ve used 2 original batteries since then, got a replacement now. I have to position my FP1 very carefully to charge it and (obviously) he’s quite slow. I’m running Android 4.2.2, cause I never dared to install 4.4. However, I’m still happy with it, though I’m really looking forward to the FP3, to be able to use all new apps as well.

5 Likes

A FP1U recovered here! After being traitor for a while using a no-privacy respectful no-modular no-google free and no-sustainable phone, I returned to my 5 years old FP1U adding new hardware and software features. Glad with 4.4.4 android version and extremely proud to be part of this absolutely useful community forum.

5 Likes

I’m still happy with my FP1, upgraded it to Android 4.4 and never had any problems. Even more, it is the reason to develop my apps with 4.4 as minimum version (so I can use them myself…). I really hope it keeps working until FP3 is out, but I can’t see why not.

6 Likes

I’m also still using a FP1, running 4.4.2, even though I recently had to replace my first FP1(U), which I got in November 2014.

4 Likes

Hey!! I’m also a FP1 user!! Order: 27094, since February 2014, with 4.2.2. Bloated battery was replaced in 2017, but everything runs smooth :smiley:

4 Likes

I changed the topic title. I might be oversensitive here, but I believe his is not correct here even if you disregard gender neutral language. But I know people sometimes feel offended if their topic titles are changed, so if this is the case please let me know and I’ll change it back.

3 Likes

I too still have and use my FP1 which was ordered on the first day of the crowdfunding, order number 139 :slight_smile: All parts still original except the battery which has been replaced a couple of times

5 Likes

I still use 4.2. I don’t know so much why doing this update to 4.4.4… Or are there any alternative OS for the FP 1? Does Sailfish work on a FP1?

1 Like

How very encouraging that there are so many others with FP1s. My order was 20 May 2014, not sure how long it took to arrive, but I guess I’m in the 5 year club. On my second battery and third case, happily running Android 4.2.2, but otherwise everything is the same as when it came out of the case.

3 Likes

My FP1U is turning 5 today – Happy Birthday!

I still get around a week out of the battery (if most of my music files were still at 128 kBit/sec instead of 256 and if I still used MUSIC instead of VLC, I’d probably still get 9-10 days out of it every now and then). And it even runs a 400 GB microSDXC card now.

So if any moderator or admin would be so kind to grant me the badge, please? :slight_smile:

23 Likes

congratulations! i’m also still using my FP1 first edition & i guess it must also be coming up to 5 years :slight_smile: i’m onto the second battery & have no problems at the moment :slight_smile:

9 Likes

As a First Edition FP1, your Fairphone is easily 5.5 years old. Congrats and way to go! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

And a similar link with 94 messages in Fp1 Four years and counting, is now 5 years https://forum.fairphone.com/t/my-fp1-four-years-and-counting/36723/101

3 Likes

Mine is also 5.5 years now (from Feb 2014) and in fact I put my SIM in it today as I still use it as my open air festival phone while my FP2 stays at home.

Funny thing: I checked the FP1 two days ago and all was working well. I left it on fully charged without SIM but WiFi on for two days and the battery dropped to 81 percent. On a bad day my FP2 loses as much over night with energy saving mode on… (I know, there’s barely any apps on the FP1 so comparing both is a little unfair).

5 Likes

I have a second edition FP1U and have had problems. Apps keep not working. Need a new battery but can’t find one.