Which internet browser do you use?

Ha! Great! How did I end up with an old version? - Anyway, good news, thanks for letting me know!

Update:
Downloading 4.2.3.1 from apkleecher.com or github yields a version using 1.0.
:frowning:

Still waiting for the perfect smartphone browser…
I love Firefox on desktops/laptops, not least for being able to tweak it (about:config). But I find the Android version’s UI rather clumsy.
Opera is nice, but there are too many features that can’t be disabled, and I miss a “clear cache on exiting” option.
Tried Dolphin, Boat, Puffin… all have their advantages and drawbacks. And it seems as there will always be the odd webpage that displays perfectly in one browser but not in another.
Lightning is nice, and would be near perfect if one could add speedlinks to the startpage or at least sort/arrange bookmarks and bookmark folders freely.

I’m still using Fennec F-Droid, although it’s no longer available on F-Droid, but besides Orweb it’s the only browser recommended by Prism Break.

3 Likes

I use Firefox as on my computers at home and at work. To a degree because I want some bigger open source player competing against Google/Apple/Microsoft :wink:

3 Likes

I tried also several innovative browsers who can interest some of you :

• Chromer : Google+ / Google Play.
    Open link within the app ; open source but requires Chrome.
  • Atlas Web Browser (developped by a XDA senior dev). : xda thread / Google Play
    Quick, innovative interface
  • Flynt : Google Play
    Open links in bubble
  • Ninja : F-Droid
    Can open and load links in background. Open source.

My ideal browser will be Lightning (which we have already spoken above) but with the ability of Nina to open links in background. I have opened this feature request on the Lightning’s Github. Firefox can ± do that , it can “remember” links to open later but doesn’t preload link, what is not very convenient.

I also tested Lightning, but the ugly tab-handling does not make me very comfortable.
It is much faster in page loading than Firefox, but the tab management is very bad in my opinon, especially for right-handed people.

So I am still on the search for a good one, since FirefoxMobile consumes that much of ressourcees and therefore is terminated by Android very often to free this resources.
Then all loaded pages are gone, which I wanted to read some minutes/hours later. Using it with mobile data would provoke it to download it again…which bothers my quite a lot.
Also scrolling and overall performance of FF is not very good at my FP2.

So…I will see, if one of these will make it better?!

1 Like

I find your opinion about tab handling quite interesting, as I actually think it works quite fine. I’m not sure if I even like it more than with FF.

Though, regarding using this forum, Lightning actually works better than FF. When marking some text, it immediately shows the “quote” button, like in a desktop browser. FF didn’t do that, so quoting someone was quite a pain with FF.

1 Like

This is one of the main reasons why I switched from FF to Lightning :smiley:
FF wanted to open all links in background. If I click on a link, I want it to open. Not to ask me if I really want to open it (and my FP1 being really slow, I was often too late to click…)

You can enable or disable that in Firefox. (Cfr https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/open-links-background-later-viewing-firefox-android#w_enable-tab-queuing)

Most annoying thing is:

• tab button is located in the upper left corner → unreachable with my right hand @ the big FP2!
  • If tab-menu is open: everytime I close a tab there (by pressing the “X”), the menu is closed. Makes no fun If I want to clean up my 20 tabs after a session…

Also the adress-input line is not fade-away and stayes there all the time…and eates space.

But anyway: performance is quite good!

You can adjust that in the settings to that it disappears, like in FF.

Ah, thanks, that’s correct (although “fullscreen” was not what I thought, as all apps in android are already in fullscreen…).

Any hints for the tab-menu-position-problem?

Then I assume this is a FP1 problem… :frowning: Quoting in FF mobile works, if I mark text and click the ordinary reply button (no popup appears).

I think you can open the tab overview by swiping in from the left side (like with Edge Swipe)?

2 Likes

Ah, that’s right, thanks.
But making it with one hand is not possible for me at the 5"-FP2 with my thumb.

btw: swiping from the right opens favorites…

I usw now lightning. For my its quit enough. Seems fast and light^^

At my Version i can open the tab menue with swaping from left screen side, same with Favorit sides just from the right sie. With that its also for my small Hand useable^^