What is the advantage of FPOOS + OpenGAPPS over FPOS?

yes

no

not sure. in the Apps settings i can “force stop” and “disable”

no

No…

ok, luckily @Stanzi saw it too, so i know i am not crazy. because now for me it looks exactly like in @Roboe 's post too – no google. o_O

4 Likes

I have OpenGApps pico installed, but i think this does only contain the Google framework and the Play Store. But just to be on the safe side, I deactivated the calendar since i have never used a calendar on any of my phones yet.

OpenGApps pico includes the GMS calendar sync adapter, Google Calendar Sync, but not the Google Calendar frontend, AFAIK. That should not transform the AOSP Calendar app in Google Calendar.

Note that pico package includes a total of 7 apps, but just two of them are interactive (Google Play Store and Google Play Services)

2 Likes

With regard to signal and push, check out conversations (on fdroid or google play). It works with google push service, but also without. I tried both ways and battery life was comparable. So messaging without GMS is possible.

1 Like

Same for me, it says about Google calendar. I don’t have openGapps, so it can’t come from there. But I have a google calendar account. @jme: do you have or did you have a google calendar account on your phone?

I told the whole time, that messaging is possible without GMS. So why your remark? Or do you mean, that messaging with signal is possible without GMS?

1 Like

No offense intended, keep calm :-). You mentioned that Whatsapp, Kontalk and Threema were working without GSM (Signal is not, so it really depends on the app). I was mentioning Conversations as it is currently the best XMPP/Jabber client in terms of UI and security and it is available on Play Store and Fdroid. Also, the conversations author (not me) has been measuring battery impact, finding it to be negligible.

2 Likes

not only not on my phone but not at all :wink:

just to make sure again: it says “about calendar” now. but it definitely said “about google calendar” the first time i opened it. this is really weird.

EDIT: OK. I solved the puzzle. It says “Über Google Kalender” if the laguage is set to german and “About Calendar” if set to english. Tadaa…

1 Like

Nice! Mine is in French and says Google too. Did the translators get lazy? :wink:

Messaging with Signal is possible without GMS with the fork LibreSignal. You can find a repo for fdroid here: https://fdroid.eutopia.cz/
Works so far fine here.

WTF! That’s true! In Spanish it says «Acerca de Calendario», no Google anywhere.

I definitely can reproduce the error changing system language to French, Dutch and German. I wonder where can this be reported, because it is not fault of the FP team, but Google’s (AOSP maintainers).

What an annoying issue! Thank you for solving it, :slight_smile:

shall we continue the discussion about messengers here? :slight_smile:

@paulakreuzer – maybe it would be worth moving messages #12, 15, 31, (33), 34 over there? (#37 is basically already there)

1 Like

I think neither topic is the best place for this discussion so I’d suggest continuing here:

@jme Is your original question answered to your satisfaction? Then I’d close this topic.

1 Like

at least nobody refuted the claim that it does not really make sense to go for FP Open and then install GAPPS … :wink:

(apart from:

which you could add to the standard FP OS as well)

If you want to run Signal without Google or Google Play Store, you may take LibreSignal, which is available in the F-Droid store. But you have to load the Eutopia.cz F-Droid Experimental Repository to F-Droid.
Note that updates of LibreSignal are always very late, so don’t get nervous when it is said that LibreSignal runs out in a few days.
LibreSignal runs with “WebSocket”, therefore you don’t need GCM (“Google Cloud Messaging”), Google’s polling service.

Unfortunately, you should get nervous. The LibreSignal project is abandoned and the update before the last one should have actually already been the last one. However, as some people were surprised by the discontinuation of the app, they decided to make a last update so that those people have enough time to change to official Signal or another messenger app. But this means that the next notification

Your version of Signal is outdated.
Your version of Signal will expire in X days. Tap to update to the most recent version.
will come and then the app will finally be dead!

This has also recently been discussed here in the forum.

Read the whole story and discussion here (and probably in some other github issues …).

1 Like

Unfortunately yes, because the OS update overwrites the /system partition, so all changes you did (e.g. install gapps or xposed) are wiped as well.

True, though TWRP currently only is an advantage if the /data partition is not encrypted; otherwise the stock recovery is more useful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.