What is Eco charging mode?

I think that on the eco mode charges the battery with 5 volt at 2A. When you charge the battery with more voltage (without eco mode), the battery’s lifetime decreases.
The battery cannot charge with more that 2A input, that’s why they choose this way (by increasing the voltage) to charge faster.

The charge time of a battery is determined by the current, its voltage is basically fixed. If you use higher voltage for the device, it needs an internal circuitry which transforms high voltage and low current into low voltage and high current for the battery. However, high current causes more stress to the battery and usually decreases lifetime.

3 Likes

Hi,
I was really interested in the “slow charging mode”. Any news about it? Is it really removed forever? :frowning: Thanks in advance.
Regards,

1 Like

Well, according to Fairphone (see this post: What is Eco charging mode?), the eco charging has been implemented into the FP3. The battery actually takes longer for the final few percents to load, which might be standard battery behaviour or deliberate “slow charge”. Only Fairphone knows for sure - and only time will tell if the FP3’s battery actually has a longer lifespan than the FP2’s.

4 Likes

Here’s a question : How do you turn off eco-mode ? Because my FP3 charges in eco-mode all the time and when it’s discharged it sometimes takes like a full night before getting charged back up to 40%.
Or is there something else that is wrong with my phone ?

From what I understood, the eco charging mode only makes an effect when the battery is a 80% or more.

So I’d say your problem has nothing to do with with eco charging mode.
Sound more like a cable/charger that is not compatible enough to support fast charging.

2 Likes

Eco just means regular (i. e. slow) charging after reaching 90 %.

You are going to need a charger capable of Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 and a cable which is USB IF certified - for example the official accessories from Fairphone - if you want yo quick charge your phone.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer !

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.