Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

Hi, I’m Jane in the UK, got my brand new Fairphone 2 this week and am loving it (even if it is a steep learning curve to go from iOS to Android!). Can’t stop telling people all about it and showing it off.

So glad that my phone now matches things I take for granted in the rest of my life (buying Fairtrade, boycotting Nestlé, supporting local businesses, that kind of thing).

I work in IT and love fiddling with settings so please excuse me if I start bombarding the forum with questions - but I promise I will use the search first…

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Jane_Baker! :slight_smile:

We value such an attitude! :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Jerry I have just got my FP2 and am dissapointed at the use of google as a default I am a techy idiot and don’t want google in my life any more then is nessary is there any help out there?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @recycledtwice

There is a thread about the google-free live on the FP2 here:

If you have any questions about it please ask them there.

1 Like

Hi there,
I currently live in Vienna and study computer engineering. I got my FP2 a month ago and have since read a lot in the forum on how to get rid of Google on my FP2.
After a few unsuccessful tries of building the Fairphone Open Source OS, I finally found out how to root it and installed AFWall+, which was key for me to make the phone usable. So since a week or so I’m a happy user of a FP2 :grin: .
It’s my first smartphone and it’s very interesting for me to dive into this new world of Android. In particular I care about using FOSS software, as I believe that the values it stands for are even more important on a smartphone than on a desktop computer (lots of private data!).
I’m interested in Linux, FOSS, OSM, Embedded Systems, Robotics,… - and particularly happy about always having an OSM map in my pocket now (OSMAnd) :smiley:

7 Likes

Hi @joob, welcome to the forum! :smiley:

Have you already discovered the Austrian Fairphoners? :wink:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cannot edit contacts

Hi all,
just my short introduction. I’m living near Lake Constance in Germany and got my new FP2 about a week ago. Being busy with earning my money (in IT), I need something “that just works” and the FP2 looks like it will do that.
Thanks to all in this community and I hope I can be of help, too (at least sometimes).

6 Likes

Hi. I’m Barry in south Devon (uk). Very pleased to have just joined the FP project.

5 Likes

Hey everyone! I’m Gil from the US, DC to be exact. My current phone is on it’s last legs and the FP2 sounds like the absolute perfect upgrade for me. I decided to start getting more active in the FP community so I joined up here.

6 Likes

Hello, this is [redacted] calling from [redacted]. Here are the votes. Fairphone: 12 points. Ahem, oh, isn’t this the European song contest ? Obviously not.

Maybe try to imagine what Shakespeare would have started with if he would have had a Fairphone : As you like it ? Much ado about nothing ? Comedy of Errors ? or rather Love’s Labour’s Lost ? Taming of the Shrew ? Finally it may be All’s Well That Ends Well.

OK enough kidding.

My explained decision for Fairphone can be found here at another thread in another corner of the forum: What phone did you use before Fairphone ?

Now I would end my silly introduction with a serious mind. Fairphone really is an artificial device for outlanders and aliens. Be the force with it and may it live long a prosper.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @mav, @barry.cohen, @Purplegill10, @anon9505190 ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

so the Fairphone 2 is my first smartphone … and I have a new understanding for the smart in the phone … its clearly not the phone being smart it’s me who needs to smarten up a bit to be able to use it …

I’m really really trying to stay away from google … though so far that has only left me with frustrating evenings …

2 Likes

Hi @levesch, and welcome to the forum!
If you haven’t found the topic already, there’s a lot of discussion going about using the Fairphone 2 without Google in the topic linked below. Feel free to ask any questions about anything you get stuck on when trying to be google-free over there!

1 Like

Yes I already have it - I worked my way through the post that Johannes
mentioned … I would just like to get rid of google not just not use it

Hello all,

my name is Clemens and I attend an IT college at present. I’m a proud FP2 owner located in Lower Austria. After compiling Fairphone-OSOS and in that way getting rid of the Google Apps, it raised some questions… hope to find answers here and share knowledge. Though, as I’ve been using a Windows Phone previously, my Android experience is a bit limited. However this is likely to change from now on :wink:

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m a proud, new owner of a Fairphone2 (FP2). Happy to support such a project. Been trying to set up and use my FP2 without Google apps (GAPPS). The Forum has been helpful so far, and a quick call to the Fairphone phone number was also helpful. A real person on the other line actually picked up the phone and had time for me - wow! I’m looking forward to an easily installable open source operation system (are these called OS or ROM?). A guide to all these abbreviations would be helpful! Anyhow, thanks to the FP team and all forum contributors!

Best regards,
shantha13

2 Likes

Hi @shantha13, welcome to the forum!
There is a dictionary of various terms used on the forum - maybe some of the entries will prove useful:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/pencil2-fairphone-forum-dictionary/5309?u=johannes

Thanks very much!