Warranty for Customer Outside of Europe

Hello, I bought a Fairphone 4 a few months ago using Ebay since I live in North America and you still cannot buy them here officially yet.

I am enjoying the phone quite a bit so far, but I am wondering if anyone has experience trying to register their warranty or even if registering works from North America?

Would Fairphone honour a 5 year warranty for customers outside of the E.U.?

Thanks for your time!

Welcome to the community forum.

https://www.fairphone.com/en/legal/fairphone-4-extended-warranty-terms-and-conditions/

“1.7 Fairphone’s Extended Warranty service is valid within the following territories: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France Métropolitaine (excluding oversea territories), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands (excluding Bonaire, Saba and St. Eustatius), Norway, Poland, Portugal (excluding Azores and Madeira), Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (excluding Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla), Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom (excluding the Channel islands).”

So, there are non-EU countries in Europe which are included, but this doesn’t help the US or Canada for now. The same list of countries is applied to the general Fairphone 4 warranty …

https://www.fairphone.com/en/legal/fairphone-4-warranty/

" 3.1 Fairphone’s Warranty service is provided to customers located in continental European territories of: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France Métropolitaine (excluding oversea territories), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands (excluding Bonaire, Saba and St. Eustatius), Norway, Poland, Portugal (excluding Azores and Madeira), Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (excluding Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla), Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom (excluding the Channel islands)."

… for now …

“3.2 Please be advised that the geographical coverage of Fairphone and the subsequent Warranty service may be subject to expansion. Any changes will be communicated here.” (<- This link also provides some hints on getting or handling Fairphone stuff outside of the listed countries.)

Forum resources which might help …

fairphoneangels (community volunteers trying to help users, there’s one listed in Ottawa currently).

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fairphone-owners-in-the-usa-fp2-fp3-fp4/5083

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/canadian-fairphoners/17991

Perhaps you can add your experience to those North American forum topics, especially which network provider you are with and in which area, this info is always sought after and welcome :wink: .

7 Likes

Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer! Especially that little note about potential expansion. I remember an official reply from Fairphone mentioning that they were in the process of trying to get into the North American market so the warranty would probably follow soon after.

Also thanks for the further links to the ottawa iniative as that happens to be the same province of Ontario where I am using the phone. Will definitely share my positive experiences so far! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only way for a warranty to work would be

• Use a EU/UK address, maybe a friend, a really good one :slight_smile: as
  • for a repair you would have to send it to your friend who would contact Fairphone
  • Fairphone would do the job and send it back to your friend
  • who will then send it back to you

You could have no contact with Fairphone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking that may be the best way. The seller on Ebay that I bought it from was actually a phone store, so maybe if I contacted them they would be able to arrange it for a price of course. Especially since they would most likely have the original receipt for the phone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.