Waiting for Fairphone 3 or buy another smartphone

Why don’t you buy a second hand Fairphone 2?
Another good move could be to ask around you (friends, family) if someone has an old phone in a drawer. If you have bad (:wink:) friends, their old phone might be only 2 years old… which is good enough for most people. This would be a good way to wait for FP3.

10 Likes

Hi Franz

Yes I would do like chrisse said it the post above:

If only the battery is the problem. Maybe get a generic battery mentioned here: 🇬🇧 🇩🇪 Generic battery to replace FP1 battery (⚠️see first post for warning). Or reach out to the Fairphone-Community to buy a battery or other spare parts for your FP1. Also a Fairphone Angel near you can help you extend the life of your FP1. Write a e-mail to city @fairphone.community . Subsitute the city in the e-mail adress with the closest heaven. (List of Fairphone heavens)

Which Android version have you installed? Maybe installing Android 4.4.4 might improve the user experience of your FP1. (Android KitKat (4.4.4) for FP1 - #6 by urs_lesse)

1 Like

Hi Franz, we have third-party replacement batteries for the FP1 in stock, here in Vienna (Linz might have some too). See here: 🇩🇪 Ersatzteile zum Testen/Tauschen/Verschenken/Kaufen (Wien & Umgebung) | Austrian Fairphoners

Maybe you can prolong your FP1’s life just a little bit more. If not, we will be glad to accept the working parts of your FP1 as a donation so that we can help other community members to repair their phones. :slight_smile:

CC @paulakreuzer @Stanzi

5 Likes

@Stanzi in Linz only has gotten FP2 parts from me, but I’ll be traveling to Linz from 23. to 28. April. I could take an FP1 battery with me.

There are still resellers that ship worldwide.

3 Likes

Thanks for your offer. I got some replacement batteries for FP1 on the wear fair messe in tabakfabrik linz, but the replacement battery only last a few months :frowning:

1 Like

Oh really? I tested it in July 2017, but couldn’t make a long-term test because I lost it with my FP1 in the train… :persevere:

I still have an original battery in my phone, but capacity is declining. I will soon need a replacement battery.

So, if you decide to stop using your FP1, please donate the sparte parts to the Austrian Fairphoners. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh really? I tested it in July 2017, but couldn’t make a long-term test because I lost it with my FP1 in the train… :persevere:

… to Hamburg, I remember :wink:

1 Like

Well, they didn’t find it :joy: Luckily @Douwe sent me a spare one he had lying around at the office. :blush:

Very nice behavior. Thats too kind.

1 Like

Hey Franz,

I still got a spare battery for Fairphone 1 lying around back in Germany which I could send to you. The only thing is that your rear cover should not be damaged/skewed since the battery is a little bit smaller and uses a spacer. I can give you the battery for free, you would only need to pay the delivery… If interested just write me an e-mail: martinjkuehn add web. de (spaces to be left out, format is to prevent address to be harvest)

best,
Martin

2 Likes

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Hey Franz,

I still got a spare battery for Fairphone 1 lying around… se my post above. I prefer that it gets used than it “rots”… :wink:

Thanks for all your replys and offers for spare battery and so on. I think about it. But since I reset my FP1 to factory default I’m having problems installing my prefered apps like signal, notes traveller, local metro app,… because the old anroid is not supported.

Looks like FP1 with old android really comes to the end of usage for me.

Which Android Version are you using? Upgrading on Android 4.4.4 might help. Android KitKat (4.4.4) for FP1

2 Likes

Franz’s original question was:

" Dear Fairphone Team: If you are working on an FP3 tell us when it will come."

I think this is just a fair question, and the Fairphone management is violating the most important requirement of all the quality management system standards: “Top management shall ensure that customer requirements and applicable regulatory requirements are
determined and met.”

You may also call it “the voice of the customer”.

Many managers/MBAs nowadays think, the economy is just about making money, that is, that everything is about return on investment.

It is NOT!

Fairphone is not Apple or Samsung or any other global player who is just not interested in what the customers want. They only care about how to increase the number of units they sell - that means, the shorter a device is usable, the better for them.

Therefore, I don’t like that Fairphone is treating us the way they are treating us… Customer satisfaction analysis…

@ Franz: I bought a “new” phone: a used Motorola Moto G4 Plus, for 30 Euros on Ebay. It recently got an update for Android 8. Hopefully, it will last until FP3 is available. And hopefully, the price of FP3 will not compete with Apple X or else…

2 Likes

Also, isn’t it the idea of Fairphone that you don’t have to buy a new phone every couple years? Like that with the module idea you can replace everything that needs replacing?

There is no general yes or no as an answer to your question.
It depends on how the phone is used.
A power user will await the FP3 impatiently as other users will keep it for longer.
But you are right if you say

you don’t have to buy a new phone every couple years

but you could, if it is available.

1 Like

FYI : FP3 will be announced by the end of august :wink: (in French)

4 Likes

Hi Herve, My friend who lives here in the UK (but is from France) would like to buy an FP2. Can you please tell me who in France still sells FP2s?

thanks

Richard

hello

i need a new phone and would like to buy a fairphone but i was told that the fairphone 3 could be available frome September 2019

is that right? is it worth waiting September?

thank you

julie

1 Like