VoWIFI works... sometime

My VoWifi runs quite stable, however I dont have more than 1 Wifi Network at home so not many Wifi disruptions. You say you can use different mobile networks. Do you choose manually? If not and its done automatically, maybe overall to many disruptions within a short time frame, so that its just too much for the FP3?

i have 3 AP from ubiquity + 1 cloudkey
all the AP are with the same SSID.
when the FP is in an area with poor wifi, it switch to a better AP, but it’s very VERY slow. the FP3 is a huge deception in term of wifi performances.

i tried to enable fast roaming in the ubiquity, it does not help.
i’ll try to put all AP on the exact same frequencies to see if it help switching faster, to avoid disconnection…

Is this tested with airplane mode active? I take it, even after 5min or so it is not reestablished although WiFi is working perfectly.

However independent confirmation on different carrier would be needed. Do you mind sharing your OS version?

I’ll try confirm this behavior this weekend and flag it with the FP3 A11 Beta if affected. There I can only test on my own Fritz hardware which are using their own mesh system to do device handover between AP. For A10 someone else needs to jump in.

What I can confirm already with carrier o2/telefonica subprovide:

1. activate airplane mode
  2. enable wifi
  3. wait for vowifi (less than 10s on my end)
  4. disable wifi
  5. reenable wifi within 5s
  6. vowifi will not reconnect

Instead
5. reenable wifi after some deep breaths > 5s
6. wait for vowifi (less than 10s on my end)

I deduce there is some login protection interfering, probably at provider level. How a proper WiFi AP mesh setup behaves is however a totally different story.

This sounds like My FP3 doesn't like higher 5Ghz Wifi channels, especially channel 116 . Or are you saying the roaming between AP happens slowly?

Cannot reproduce running FPOS A10,VoWifi reconnects within 5 seconds

1 Like

This sounds like My FP3 doesn’t like higher 5Ghz Wifi channels, especially channel 116 . Or are you saying the roaming between AP happens slowly?

the roaming is slow. i expected it to be faster. sometime i need to be really out of range from an AP before the FP go to another AP.
but i’ll tweak a little the ubiquity, maybe it’s some error in my config.

What I can confirm already:

activate airplane mode
enable wifi
wait for vowifi (less than 10s on my end)
disable wifi
reenable wifi within 5s
vowifi will not reconnect

Instead
5. reenable wifi after some deep breaths > 5s
6. wait for vowifi (less than 10s on my end)

Let me do this exactly too
so . i’m in the basement, there is NO GSM.

1. i put airplane to be in the exact same behavior as you.
  2. i enable wifi
  3. i wait… wait… waaaaaaait… no vowifi. i wait something like 5 minutes.

now, let do the same test, but with GSM coverage
so, i’m in my house, i have poor GSM coverage.

1. i enable airplane
  2. i enable wifi
  3. Vowifi is active after 5 seconds ! good
  4. i go to my basement, FP changed the AP without disconnectedion: vowifi still works
  5. i walk in my house, FP changed 2 times from AP, and i did it very fast, but the FP did not disconnect from wifi: vowifi still works
  6. i now disable wifi.
  7. i wait 1 minute.
  8. enable wifi again: vowifi does not work

so the problem seems to be:

to get vowifi working you must have been connected to the GSM in the last few minutes!
if you try to enable wifi without having a GSM connection before, it will not work
so in my case, if i have a wifi disconnection, i MUST get a GSM connection before trying to have vowifi again.

edit: i forgot to tell you my version
in “about my phone” i have build “8901.3.A.0135.20211222”
is it A10 ?

yes :wink:

Can’t confirm that easily - did just activate wifi after 5min of radio silence and it still reestablishes vowifi

Doesn’t seem to be as reliable as claimed. Ran into the same problem after some rest.

Would you @yvmuell mind checking how your phone behaves if you

1. enable wifi,
  2. wait 10s after vowifi establishes, then
  3. disable-quickly reenable wifi,

repeatedly like 3 -10 times?

Just to confirm, with either Flight mode or not, it can take around 23 secs to reconnect. This was a problem I thought I had solved, but now ???

I turned on airplane mode and then enabled and disabled Wifi quicky multiple times, without noticeable issues, VoWifi was always established within 5-10 sec once wifin connection is built. Same when I wait some minutes after setting airplane mode.

However, I did a third test with mobile data on and just toggle Wifi on/off and now I have Wifi call only on the SIM which I not use for mobile data.
Shorty setting into airplane mode fixed it.

The interesting thing I already noticed on my FP2 is, that the SIM which I use for mobile data, always has worth reception than the SIM I use only for telephony and both use the same network

ok, i tried with the pixel of my wife: if there is GSM signal, vowifi works too.
on my FP, if there is GSM signal, the vowifi does not work.

do you have this behavior too :
when i’m connected without wifi, here is what i see :

when i have wifi + gsm + vowifi, i see:

when i have wifi + gsm but no vowifi i see:

you see the small gap between the 2 gsm signal ?
can it be because of a “hidden” vowifi ?
(i can confirm that calls does not work if this is like this. so vowifi does not work)
like a “i tried to enable it, but it failed, and i’m stuck with a small space between both signals bars”
i don’t think because the vowifi is not at the same place. but…

also, when wifi is enabled, data is completely processed using wifi, not GSM right ? so why do i have the small icons showing data sometime:
(in this case, the small gap is gone)

also: i suppose dual sim is not an issue for vowifi ? (vowifi is disabled and unsupported but the other sim)

beta?
how do you join beta?

I think the FP2 hardware can only establish a LTE connection for 1 SIM - haven’t checked how the FP3 is behaving

Interesting - I just tested on my end again, and again same result as you :smiley:

However Iam still capable to trigger the behavior: this time I couldn’t rely on the 3-10 repetions with 10s exclusively but needed to put a few (max 3) times 30s steady wifi connection in between. And I waited a few times until the vowifi icon vanished after having disabled wifi.

Whole idea is to somehow trigger lots of log-on events at the provider in short timeframe and therefore being blocked for a short time, which seems to be <5s on my end. That’s why I don’t think waiting for longer times than 30s with WiFi (and vowifi available) will do the trick, cause then the threshould might reset. And this is just my own theory :smiley:

In a consequence, once it is possible to back this theory, one might suggest to fairphone support that a retry on establishing vowifi should reoccur after 5s, 10s, 30s - I think with my provider this should do the trick to increase availability.

1 Like
1 Like

Yes sure its the same on the FP3 and for the second SIM mobile data are off…this has overall nothing to do with this issue, other than reception of FPs seems sometimes weird, as 2/SIM in the same network should have same reception irrespective of mobile data turned on or not

The gap seems to be normal at least I have it when I turn VoWifi off on both SIM

I use it with both SIM without issues other than the described issue above.

OK
then it’s a mistery.

either this is because i’m on EIT, instead of directly connected to SFR ?
EIT allow you to select the network you want to use: Orange, SFR, Bouygues.
i selected SFR network behind, but i tried with orange
with orange: vowifi was working 1 time every 10 time
with SFR : it’s better, but still has disconnections…
did not tried with bouygues. but each swap between carrier cost me 10 €… so…

Upps, I think I wasn’t clear enough: it’s not about mobile data but really the connection standard - If you are on FP2 with 1 SIM on mobile data and LTE of course, the 2nd can at max connect via 3G (of course non-data). As it is voice only, and I don’t think VoLTE is working on the FP2, it might be that the SIM without data has the better signal connection strength due to lower frequency of 2G / 3G bands. Btw, does the FP2 keep its mobile data connection during calls? (sry for off-topic :D)

1 Like

Look at

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/new-release-beta3-a-0008/80727/4

that is a closed resource only available for beta testers :wink:

1 Like

Yes the offer to join has probably closed :frowning:
You would likely have to contact the OP of that topic to enquire.