Very low quality audio recordings

It looks that this problem has been fixed in the last software update (FP3 A.0110). You can compare how default camera app recorded audio before the update and after updating the phone:

Also the app I usually use for recording (Easy Voice Recorder Pro) now allows me to choose non-filtered source for my recordings. I’m still doing tests with different settings, but it looks that the problem has gone (even with external mics plugged by jack). Great!

9 Likes

So i just tested the video sound with the new January2020 software update.

To me the issue is resolved now. Thank you very much.

If anyone asks me to I can provide a before and after test video, but since this requires a little bit of effort I would only do this if anyone needs it.

Again thanks to Fairphone, the video sound quality on this device is finally good enough for everyday use :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Glad to hear this issue is resolved by Fairphone :ok_hand:
Could someone, who examined the problem before, state which audio source I should choose after the update for:
Standard Camera App:
OpenCamera App:
Voice recordings:
Music recordings / live music recordings:

Thank you!

1 Like

So, i used and tested the standard video app, as well as the ported Google camera (as seen here)

Both of them in standard settings had the issue, I never changed the audio settings in these apps since I wasn’t aware this was possible (is it?)

Now the issue is resolved in both apps (and I guess in any other app as well)

2 Likes

Hi folks,
I have an issue with my Bluetooth headset. When using the headset on my Samsung S7 in Skype or zoom, it works just fine. If I try using it on the new fairphone, the microphone gain is being set way too high.
Using the Skype test account can recognise the exaggerated gain and do a correct auto adjust. But unlucky me, this setting is not saved and used for the next vidro call. Instead, a completely exaggerated standard gain setting is used for each new call.

Given the successful test on my ancient Samsung cell phone, the problem must be a fairphone software issue.

I’m using the software upgrade provided in January 2021, so it isn’t any kind of an outdated software version thing.

Does anybody have a decent solution how to use an adequate microphone gain setting with Bluetooth devices?

Beautiful good day.

I shot a short video at a very loud music concert. Unfortunately the sound of the video is totally overdriven. It was ok for normal music passages, but when the bass or the drums started, it started to overdrive.
Best regards
franco07

Yes this has been reported a few times:

Here is another topic on the issue

I have the same audio distortion on high volumes. It’s really not workable for me; when at a festival I ask my friends to film a band, send the video to myself via whatsapp to upload it to instagram on my phone. And previously I could do this with my phone without any problems. The same happened with my FP2, and for that reason I got the FP3. Now I have to upgrade to FP4 to have a FP to shoot videos with sound, very annoying, and wasteful.

I tried the Open Camera app with the unprocessed sound, but the level is too low to be usable I’m afraid…

If there is a workaround that would be great, but this is such a basic function of a phone it shouldn’t require one.

1 Like

Hi,

Observing issues on 2 different FP3+ with the micro.
When going to concert (very loud environment) and recording a video, the sound is totally in overdrive and it sound terrible.
Made an experiment at the same location with a very cheap Huawai phone and making a video with this one at the same noisy environmet sound much better - no overdrive.
Anyone else experienced micro not adjusting level in noisy environments with FP3?
Is there a way to adjust the micro level?
Trying to find out if this is a construction issue…

Hi and welcome, there are several discussion on the forum I think the above is the most informative

Hi, oh thanks for the hint, seems this is an systemic issue.
Is there any official communication from Fairphone about it?
And the most important question, is this issue fixed on FP4?

1 Like

Please do some reading and search in the forum.

Thanks for the very helpfull answer. Not.

I’ve contacted the FP support and got this response:

Thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately, there is nothing more we can help you within your situation.
The microphones on the Fairphones (that won’t change if switching to FP4) are made for calls.
They aren’t professional gear and are not guaranteed to work well at concerts, where many sounds are coming from all sides.

Thank you for your understanding,

Wishing you a beautiful day,

So for me the Fairphone chapter is closed until they develop a good micro.

1 Like

Hi and again, welcome to the forum.

This is a known issue as maybe you now have confirmed, the only option is to dumb down the mics, I’ll leave that idea to you.

Thanks for sharing Support’s answer.

2 Likes

Maybe we should mark one entry as ‘the answer’ for the future…

like for instance, if you want to record music, use Audio Recorder (axet · GitLab), set to Unprocessed and use max recording volume (= 400% gain).

It’s for the OP to decide and their problem doesn’t appear to be the same as the clipping in a loud live music venues

I guess you’re right - it did help for me though (that said, I had the issue ages ago and never tried again, maybe I should see if it’s really still an issue even without the ‘unprocessed’).

1 Like

I had the same problem but it disappeared after the update to Android 13.

Now the audio quality in videos is good.

Ciao,
Max

4 Likes