Using Sailfish OS on the FP2 - Experiences and Issues

The phone app freeze is annoying although sometimes I’ve been able to get around it by pressing the power button to lock the screen and then unlocking. Works sometimes but not always.

Also, randomly the screen might freeze in any situation -getting to the lock screen as above and if that’s also non-responsive then sometimes it helps to make the stretch or zoom-in gesture to get the response back without rebooting.

Keep up the good work! :smiley:

I just installed it and it looks really nice.

If I could have Signal on it. I would keep it…

Which version did you install?

In the about this product it says: build 2.0.1.11

I also missed it when I tested SF some time ago. I think libreSignal was already available for sailfish (i read somewhere), but after some protests from Signal this fork was abandoned a few weeks ago. A real pity, as it did not use Google services for push notifications.

Anyhow, I also still miss dual SIM support. The lack of dual SIM support renders SF useless for me at the moment. I hoped the development was already further, I would immediately have bought a license, but it seems that the waiting period for me will take longer than i hoped.

2 Likes

Wonderful news is, this was an OTA update, didn’t have to wipe the phone or anything, and things went relatively smooth.

Couple of weirdnesses (Camera app acting up, for one; boot glitches with touch screen input and lock codes), but when it boots OK, looks like core functionality works stable. Well, guinea pig time starts now, I guess should give it a week or so to know better.

Images are still not ready for public release, so gotta get on IRC #fairphone-sailfish and ask around. The OTA process isn’t difficult at all if you’re upgrading from alpha1.

7 Likes

Okay, what would you say: Should I wait for 2.0.2 or install 2.0.1 (in the IRC they told me that there is no link for installing 2.0.1)

it depends whether u want to live with some bugs or not =) but 2.0.2 is bringing some cool features. Finally we can use 2 sims on FP2 for example. But again, there are some bugs in SF itself, since it’s an early access.

1 Like

I see a link to this topic at TJC. So do we also hear some good news about SailfishOS on FP2 :smile:?
If so, i will try to come :wink:

Sailfish 2.0.2.48 is running fine on my FP2 (without alien dalvik atm.) We have also one more guy in our Berlin Sailfish Group, who is on SF 2.0.2.48 on FP2.

if you want some more information about it - contact me over email: explit@gmail.com

4 Likes

Sailfish OS 2.0.1.11 alpha2 released for Fairphone 2, installation instructions available at https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/Install_SailfishOS_for_fp2.

10 Likes

Thank you, mal!
Great work. Me and many others, I guess, are very happy that you are so dedicated to SFOS on Fairphone.

1 Like

Thank you very much mal- for making SailfishOS on FP2 a smoothest SailfishOS Experience!
Your port is faster, than on Jolla C or Jolla Tablet… Its so cool…

1 Like

Sorry, if I have missed it, but what is the easiest way to fully backup the FP2 running FP Open OS 16.06 and try out SailfishOS? So that it’s easy to restore the original system with all its data. I got curious to give it a try and I think a short HowTo could also motivate others to try out SailfishOS.

1 Like

If you don’t have your /data partition encrypted, make a backup with TWRP. This way you can easily go back to the system you are currently running.

3 Likes

Installing SailfishOS from TWRP recovery as instructed does not overwrite the Android data, it will just create a new folder to userdata partition and install SailfishOS there, also the kernel is replaced but that can be easily reverted later by installing the original Android kernel from the FP Open OS 16.06 fastboot zip. So going back from SailfishOS to Android is just a matter of replacing the kernel.

5 Likes

Thanks Mal, and the rest of the dev to get sfos working on fp2.
i flashed sfos 1.0.1.11 on my fairphone as instructed in the libhybris wiki. (twrp)
i’ve got the problem, that my phone doesn’t show the IMEI, so i cant use the jolla store and do updates… interestingly the phone is working otherwise
i had the same issue using the the older rom a month ago… so i was just wondering, if anyobody had the same issue, and how to fix this?.. i am not much of a developer. more like a tinkerer, but i don’t fear getting my fingers dirty if needed.

Something went wrong in your Sailfish Installation.
Reinstall Fairphone Open 16.06 and install Sailfish on top of that.
Do exact, what stand in the Wiki.
Jolla Store working 100% on all FP2 Sailfish Releases
alpha1: 2.0.0.10
alpha2: 2.0.1.11
alpha2 OTA Update 2.0.2.48
On all Versions, the IMEI is shown in the Settings and you can register the phone with your Jolla Account.

1 Like

hm… seems not the issue since i’ve hat the same behaviour with fpos 1.4.x and sailfish 2.0.0.10, I’ll have a look.

i’ve got no other sim card to try right now, but with both installations i had totally the same issues…

btw, ssu -s is giving me a “0” for the Device UID
should there be a /proc entry with the IMEI number in it?