Using LineageOS on the FP2

I want to give Lineage@FP2 a chance (coming from FP-OS 1.12 = Android 5.2)…

Just to be on the save side some questions before flashing:

1. There are no :negative_squared_cross_mark: now! -> so in comparison to FP-OS all features are working properly now?
  • where can I check, in which release “:warning: battery-wakelock with 1-2%/h” will be fixed?
    (Edit: seems so)
  • As I still suffer of having an up-to-date-overview:
    What are the main drawbacks by using Lineage instead of FP-O(O)S (or are there just advantages)? (Despite not having google-apps by default)
  • Coming from FP-OS with root & TWRP: I can go directly via this guide ?! My external SD-Card content will always stay untouched while flashing, right?!
  • How does future updates will be available? Via an built-in updater-app? Or do I always need to flash via TWRP?
  • What is (apart from TitatinumBackup) the most recommend way to save the system partitions to be able to revert back to my current OS (Using Windows)!

I hope thes questions also help others and I hope I not just overseen too much comments in the forum…

1 Like

You are completely wrong here. Maybe a mod (@paulakreuzer ?) could move this? (@paulakreuzer: sorry I missed your hint, @z3ntu moved it)

1. Yes, I think so. I am not aware of any non-working features.
  2. As I heard today, it should be fixed with the latest nightly
  3. I am not aware of any drawbacks.
  4. I did not do it, but yes, it’s exactly for this case. Yes, the SD won’t be changed.
  5. With the Lineage Updater. It’s in Settings -> About Phone (And it uses TWRP btw, but this shouldn’t bother you ;-))
  6. Use TWRP to do a complete Backup. Then you can just go back exactly how it was before. But this doesn’t replace a backup with titanium, because it only saves the complete system
3 Likes

about 6: A backup of the userspace is still needed seperately from TWRP & Titatanium. Else you’ll lose for example your photo’s

1 Like

It’s always a good idea to save the images etc., but I’m not sure I saved them and moved them to the phone again. I thought they survived the Lineage installation? :wink:

3 Likes

If you do a standard wipe/factory reset from within twrp, it won’t wipe your external data (fotos, music,… ) only app data. Which is different from a factory reset from the ROM

3 Likes

thanks for your answers, @retsifp, @lklaus, @snevas !

The wakelock-problem seems to be solved, as you can read here.

Two other questions:

1. if GoogleMaps is the only Google-App I need to use … Do I really need to flash “GApps-Mini”, as this is the lowest package which includes Maps?
    I guess only installing Maps-APK from Playstore etc. will not work, as most likely any google service for location will be missing in this case, right? Any recommendation to get running only Google-Maps/Location services, without the need of the other google-clutter?

2. To gain root acces I need to flash the addon-su (arm) with TWRP, that I got.
    BUT: do I also need a special SU-manager-App (which now is “superuser” for my current FPOS), or is this already included in the addon or in LineageOS itself?
    (Background: For using TitatiumBackup I need root, and I want to be safe that I will have proper rootaccess straigth after flashing LineageOS to get back my backups.)

Thanks for help!

1 Like

You don’t need mini. You need at least Open GApps pico to get the Play Store, and with the Play Store you can install Maps. So it would be pico + Maps instead of mini (whatever difference this makes).

I only flashed addon-su and didn’t install any App, and root looks like before (I had it enabled in the unofficial builds).
If there was no root before, you might just need to enable root in the developer settings.

1 Like

Ok, for the record: I’ve checked* and Gobble Maps app’s basic functions worked with microG (an open source implementation of Google Services). Showing the map, searching a location and planning a trip. I don’t have a Google account to check login, but according to microG’s supported features, it should work (if G. Maps doesn’t handle this itself, which is likely).

*= calm down, privacy defenders and #livingwogoogle like me. All connections were made through Tor (Orbot’s VPN) and protected with LineageOS’s Privacy Guard, :wink:

3 Likes

OK, only Pico sounds OK.
But in principle I don’t want to use Playstore or Google Account at all. Just using the bare GoogleMaps functionality (show map, routing, traffic). I just want to get the APK for GoogleMaps, eg. here or with Racoon or… and therefore I ask if anything MORE from google services is needed to use it. You know what I mean?

7 posts were split to a new topic: Appstores and Trust

I see.

Does it have to be Google Maps for some specific reason, or would OsmAnd perhaps work? You wouldn’t have to bother with Open GApps then.

Here and here is some more info for when coming from Maps. And there’s more on the internet on that I would bet.

1 Like

Hi dear LOS fellows :slight_smile:
I’m quite happy with LineageOS becoming official.
However I found a little difference compared to unofficial LOS:

• With official LineageOS, allowing ADB debugging in the settings only lasts until next reboot.
  • previously on unofficial LineageOS, allowing ADB survived shutdowns and reboots…
    Perhaps this was done on purpose, for security purposes?
    Can anyone confirm this?
    Cheers,
    Olivier

Well, depending on how often you need to use it, you could just visit maps.google.com
That’s what I do when I have to use Google Maps.

1 Like

that’s true…but the usage in a browser is very ugly.
And my basic question is still not really answered: do I need for sure at least GApps Pico + Maps.apk to get it running, or can I also avoid pico…I think I will test it now…

You don’t need Pico to use the Maps app. I have no Google on my phone and maps works fine.

3 Likes

No, you don’t need GAPPS:

(But that is not the content of your quote, isn’t it? Anyhow…)

For the record - and the answer for my own question above:

• I have a smoothly working LineageOS14@FP2 (following these instructions using TWRP coming from FPOS 1.12/Android 5)
  • I did NOT install any Open GApps Packages (not Pico, not Mini, not Nano Package, just nothing!)
  • I installed the bare Google Maps APK (com.google.android.apps.maps-964100133.apk), which I downloaded with Raccoon via PC from PlayStore and a FakeAccount, but I guess any GoolgeMapsAPK would work)
  • Result: I have a working Google Maps Application (without PlayStore or any google service installed, without the need of any GoogleAccount@FP2). GPS-location is displayed, maps, routing and current traffic is shown.

That’s all I wanted and I am happy that it is working without problems.

About my overall experience going from FPOS/Android5 → LineageOS14/Android7 on FP2 I will report back here in a while.

6 Likes

Just as a reference for people reading along … while there is an “OpenGApps micro” package, microG has nothing to do with Open GApps, as it re-implements Google Apps and libraries with free software.

Open GApps offers install packages of the original Google stuff.

But good to know Google Maps wouldn’t need any of this :+1: .

2 Likes

True! That also confused me! I changed my post above a little (deleted “MicroG”).
MicroG is more for functionality of Push-messages using the google push service - If I am correct - and needs some more configuration under LineageOS to get it running…

@darioce You wrote in May about the SD card problem in Noutag/LineageOS.
Could you give a little bit more details (or links), how you gained write access over your external SD card for alle apps under LineageOS14.1@FP2
As I have of couse the same, by google intended problems / limiations, I would be happy to have a practical solution, which I didn’t found until now…
Thanks!