Updating LineageOS 14.1 via TWRP + feature test

I have the same setup as AnotherElk and the same things work for me (didn’t try MyPhoneExplorer).

More stuff that works:

• Wi-Fi Hotspot

My only problem was with flashing TWRP. I just got the FP2 on Thursday and installing LineageOS was the first thing I did. In fact, it was the first time I ever installed a custom ROM :wink:
Following the instructions at https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/FP2/install I had some difficulties following step 6 “Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation: With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power.” I didn’t manage to power off the phone. And when I rebooted, it always booted to the system.

What did the trick for me, was pressing the Volume Up button and then executing “fastboot reboot” :wink:

Quite easy when you’ve successfully done it once…

1 Like

Update installed via TWRP 3.2.1-0 (Releases)

The following things work for me so far:

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • internet via mobile network
  • screenshot
  • main camera (new module)
  • selfie camera (new module)
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • alarm (incl. swiping it off)
  • MyPhoneExplorer
  • root (via already installed addonsu-14.1-arm-signed.zip, not installed again)
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot

For things that might not work there’s a bugtracker.

2 Likes

@jnsp In the firmware-update folder of Fairphone Open OS 17.12.1 the following file is different compared to the one in modem-17.11.2.zip (says WinMerge):

emmc_appsboot.mbn

The other files seem to be identical. Will there be a new modem.zip?
Or instructions how to build your own modem.zip :wink: ?

I won’t update the modem.zip, as no relevant files have changed besides emmc_appsboot.mbn.
I have a feeling that we won’t see many updates for the modem firmware from Qualcomm in the future, because it hasn’t been updated for months now.

I’ll try to publish my build script on GitHub before the end of the year. :wink:

3 Likes

Changed some days ago to Lineage OS 14.1-20171212-nightly-FP2.
I used TWRP 3.2.0-0 and followed instructions of Lineage.
Everything went smooth and fine and I am really impressed about Lineage.

Yesterday my updater informed me that an update is available to Lineage 14.1 dated

To avoid any trouble in future- is there any WIKI how to handle updates?
As i installed via TWRP- is it necessary to install Update also via TWRP or can I use the updater?
I ask this question because i formerly used Fairphone software and already destroyed TWRP by using the updater.
Furthermore, i think prior to update Lineage i should update TWRP. Can TWRP update itself if i put latest version on my SD-Card and install it via TWRP, or do I have to use ADB/Fastboot?

Many thanks in advance and first thing now, prior to doing any updates, i will make a complete back-up!!

1 Like

You can go both ways, shouldn’t matter.

Fairphone OS uses the stock Android recovery and under certain circumstances is able to restore that over a TWRP installed by the user.
Fairphone Open OS uses TWRP as recovery itself, so it shouldn’t happen with Fairphone Open OS.

That’s not a bad idea, but not strictly required. If your phone is encrypted, you need a halfway current version of TWRP that supports encryption.

TWRP can update itself. If you want to select the TWRP image file in TWRP, there’s a button to switch the file view from displaying ZIP files to displaying IMG files.

Excellent idea :+1: .

4 Likes

Many thanks. Very quick answer!

Navigated to Settings -> About phone -> LineageOS Updates
Downloaded the most recent LOS.

After download it asked if i want to reboot in recovery mode. Did it.
The device booted with TWRP
And now?
What to install now?

I rebooted with TWRP but no file was installed.

Perhaps this here helps …

1 Like

“Hurra”. It works!

Frankly speaking i had some heart palpitation because automatic update did not work. Therefore, your link to www.zdnet.de was very valuable. They also say that it is sometimes difficult and download of update via browser is a safer method.

I have also to mention that it seems that TWRP cannot check sha256 and always looks for md5 sums. Therefore, the first flashing did not work because of missing md5. Therefore i switched off in TWRP md5-check because i manually checked sha256 with my computer after download of update.
Herebelow the steps i did:

1. Download update from Lineage Homepage.
  2. Check integrity of downloaded file (sha256). I did it under Linux in the Terminal with:
    sha256sum lineage-14.1-20171219-nightly-FP2-signed.zip
  3. Compare output of Terminal with sha256 listed on Homepage of Lineage for this file.
  4. Put file on sd-card
  5. Boot to TWRP-Recovery
  6. Remove the md5sum check (see above sha256) and flash the file.
  7. Reboot

[Edit @AnotherElk: Link corrected, the ZDF (Second German Television channel under public Law) doesn’t help much here.]

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • MyPhoneExplorer
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot

1 Like

Acutally Fairphone Open does exactly this. If you don’t hold Volume Up on reboot after upgrading FPOOS your manually installed TWRP will be overwritten by the outdated TWRP 2.6 from the FPOOS image even when you install it from the ‘manual’ package and delete the recovery image from the extracted zip file and the shell script.

2 Likes

Updated via updater to “lineage-14.1-20171219-nightly”, i.e. the following things didn’t change:

• modem-17.11.2.zip2
  • TWRP 3.2.0-04
  • open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20171205.zip
  • addonsu-14.1-arm-signed.zip

Same things work for me as for AnotherElk except MyPhoneExplorer and USB OTG, which I don’t have.

What works in addition:

• bluetooth (speakers)

Sorry, i am a little bit confused.

Where do i see the version of modem software respect. where can i find and update it?

Baseband version is given in Settings - About phone, that’s why I mention it there, you don’t see something like “Modem files version 17.11.2” anywhere in LineageOS.
And the modem filename is a link to where you can get it :wink: .

2 Likes

Slightly updated my post above because I forgot to mention that bluetooth works. I tested my MusicMan BT-X2 and the car audio system of a Mercedes CLA last time I used car-sharing.

2 Likes

Found Baseband version and download link. But sorry, it is still not clear what i have to do. Shall i download and install latest Modem files version?

My phone works very good only with Lineage and Lineage found directly my provider and data connection worked out of the box. With Fairphone OS and F!airphone Open i had to manually insert all the APN-settings!

Yes.
Because the update from modem files 17.09.3 to 17.11.2 didn’t change the Baseband version, so even if you saw Baseband version 4437.1-FP2-0-07 on your phone, you could still have outdated modem files (I just now remembered).

In any case, the modem files get installed independently from the OS, so if you run into a problem with a new modem version, you can just install an older version.
Or you can install the latest version again and again and again … doesn’t hurt the OS installation.

2 Likes
  • Edit: Encrypted phone
  • modem-17.11.2.zip (unchanged, Baseband version 4437.1-FP2-0-07)

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • screenshot
  • MyPhoneExplorer
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • Bluetooth (music playback via AV receiver)

2 Likes

May i add:
For me additionally work:

• FM Radio (of course only with earphones )
  • Bluetooth connection to car phone system

What i did not try up to now due to all the problems in the past:

• Encryption

Did anyone try it recently?

1 Like