Updating LineageOS 15.1 for microG via TWRP + feature test

And me I check this other page, similar to yours but little different :wink:

https://download.lineageos.org/FP2/changes/

However I don’t understand why there were 3 updates in 3 days, as there is no new changes to incorporate…

lineageos.org gave “502 Bad Gateway” just now. Wanted to check if they announced anything about going from weeklies to actual nightlies :wink:

1 Like

https://www.lineageos.org/ works, though.

Edited to add:

The changelog has a point Nightly + Monthly Builds. so this may explain the nightly builds.

There’s this from November 12 (latest LineageOS for microG builds are from November 11, but not for the Fairphone 2, mind) …

https://www.xda-developers.com/lineageos-15-1-nightly-builds-monthly-14-1-builds/

And as long as the relation of this to microG builds is unclear, perhaps keep an eye on this one here …

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78135129&postcount=1108

2 Likes

I have LOS+MicroG (thats why I wrote here). As far as I understood till now LOS+microg was probably not able to Change to the new nightlies and thats why the latest Version is from last week?

Just my guess.
But the LineageOS for microG build cycle stopped at November 11, when at November 12 LineageOS switched to the nightly/monthly builds … I can’t see that as a coincidence.

1 Like

That mean no more update from LOS+microg fork from now?

I hope not! I’ll wait some weeks

I am using two old Samsung Galaxy 5S phones: This week for the Lineage 15.1 phone I have got seven updates, each day one; for the other one with Lineage 15.1 microG none!

1 Like

They rolling out builds for LOS microG again :+1:
But they stated, that they will not doing it daily, but weekly like before.

5 Likes

I got it today 15.1 - 19 11 2018.

Thank you those Team who make this project possible (^-^)/

2 Likes

Oh, thankfully!

Update Installed via TWRP 3.2.3-0 (Releases)

The following things work for me so far:

• call / be called
  • send SMS / receive SMS
  • internet via WiFi
  • internet via mobile network
  • location (Usually my indoor location is found almost immediately without GPS, not this time, will have to see if that’s temporary. GPS worked.)
  • compass
  • screenshot
  • main camera (new module) works correctly with Open Camera, the stock camera App doesn’t operate the flash correctly.
  • main camera (new module) video recording
  • selfie camera (new module)
  • selfie camera (new module) video recording works correctly with the stock camera App, Open Camera records only black after a random number of seconds.
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • alarm
  • MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.11
  • Root access (Settings - Developer Settings - Root Access)
  • USB OTG
  • WiFi hotspot
  • Bluetooth (data connection, music playback … pairings survived the update)
  • FM radio
  • weather (Your local weather with my own OpenWeatherMap API Key - Widget updates reliably when App is set to a 30 minute update interval, doesn’t update reliably when App is set to a 1 hour update interval … App and launcher are not battery optimized and have permission to run in the background, Weather Widget)

For reporting bugs see the bottom of this page.

1 Like

Sometimes, the location mode reset automatically on my LOS FP2. I have to go to Settings > Google > Localization > Mode and select “high precision” again…

1 Like

Hey,
i was wondering how you deal with your microsd cards?
Do you leave them unencrypted or is there a way to encrypt (or do you don’t use one) ?

My first idea was to use the microsd as internal storage and then encrypt. This failed so far:
I tried with los14.1&15.1 to get the microsd working as internal storage which only led to a wrong Mount setup that would give me only access to the space on the microsd and wouldn’t mount the internal storage correctly…

My personal opinion:

There is enough trouble to be found in this forum with this setup to just avoid it, if possible.

So in my case … privacy-sensitive or work-related stuff goes into the encrypted Internal Storage, other stuff is on the unencrypted SD card.

thanks for the advice - i guess it’s just better not to encrypt the sd and be aware where to put which file :wink:

on a fresh 15.1 install i experience a high battery drain even in standby with no SIM & wifi off/not connected.
can you say the same? would an older modem help? any idea what could be an issue for this behaviour?

stats 15.1 fresh install:
  no SIM&WLAN off:                          ca ~0,5%/h (8% in 17h) - left picture
  no SIM&WLAN on but not connected:         ca 1%/h 

Depends.
Currently I have about 1% battery usage per hour with SIM and WiFi on and connected (with bad mobile network reception at home) and the phone idle otherwise, but freshly installed it was 2%/hour before some automatic optimizing by Android kicked in (my guess) … so for me personally this is actually looking pretty good, and judging from my experience it would not be considered a battery drain on this forum.

are these steps necessary if an old camera is still installed?

• Booted TWRP
  • Destroyed the LUKS header to really seriously get rid of prior encryption (Advanced - Terminal - dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p20 bs=4096 count=512 )
  • Formatted data to get a valid Ext4 partition again (Wipe - Format Data)
  • Resized data to not regret later that I left that out (Wipe - Advanced Wipe - data - Repair or Change File System - Resize File System)
  • Wiped everything except Micro SD card (Wipe - Advanced Wipe).
  • Rebooted into TWRP to make sure encryption is gone (no request for the encryption password when starting)
  • Installed lineage-14.1-20180808-microG-FP2.zip
  • Booted LineageOS 14.1
  • Set a PIN and encrypted the phone
  • Rebooted into TWRP to make sure 14.1 encrpytion was in place (request for the encryption password when starting and successful decryption)
  • Turned off the phone and reassembled the new main camera module

These were my steps to get from a 15.1 encryption (which TWRP couldn’t handle) done by 15.1 in the testing phase to a 14.1 encryption, which I then installed 15.1 on (so that TWRP as well as 15.1 could handle it).

If you want to do the same with the old camera, just don’t disassemble/reassemble the camera :wink: .