Updater App vs Google App

The latest version of the Fairphone Updater app (1.39.8) blocks the upgrade if the Google App is disabled. Nice job! I’m sure this will save quite a few people from having to wipe their phones.

However, I now can’t update from 17.04.3 to 17.04.8 because of the disabled Google App. As explained, this is not necessary. I think some fine tuning to the Updater app is required: It should block the upgrade from Android 5 to 6, but not block updates if you already are on Android 6.

3 Likes

If I understand you correctly, it will be important to have the Assist App set to None. Without this setting to None and Google App disabled there will be bootloops after future updates, right?

2 Likes

You will be in a boot loop after the next reboot. You don’t have to wait for the next update. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

In our experience the bootloop can also occur when updating from L to L or M to M, not only from L to M. In any case: Better safe than sorry :wink:

1 Like

Well this particular boot-loop definitely doesn’t happen from L to L and won’t happen anymore ever once you set the Assist App to none in M.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bootloop after Marshmallow Update

Bootloop and Google App: Thank you very much for sharing the insights. I also ended up in the bootloop soon after updating to Android 6 because of the deactivated Google App. Are there more known apps that can not be deactivated without special settings? I’m asking because I want to improve my privacy and battery life time by following a good guide from c’t:

But I do not want to end up in the bootloop again.
Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

I disabled these apps in 17.04.8:

• Drive
  • Email
  • Google App
  • Google Backup Transport
  • Google Contacts Sync
  • Google Play Movies & TV
  • Hangouts
  • iFixit
  • Messenger

The Google App was the only one which required special attention.

(Of course you need to install an SMS app and set it as default before disabling the integrated one.)

2 Likes

Disable Manager (Assists the disabling of pre-installed apps)

You won’t need F-Droid to install it — although it’s advisable if you want to improve your privacy practices —, just click on the Download apk link.

If you want to absolutely get rid of Google for privacy, you may want to have a look at #livingwogoogle (consider it while waiting for the FP Open Marshmallow release)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.