Update Aug 0129 Ambient light | Adaptive brightness

Yes, it’s not a solution to the problem at all only a work around so as not to notice the problem.

Don’t be too hard on the geeks, they maybe having a hard time and it only takes one person, one small character typed to get it messed up.

I’m more curious as to what testing is done, but I suppose there’s so much to test that testing the ambient light sensor in many situations over varying periods of time was never thought.

Probably a simple test in the lab to see if it works and voila. Mine only messed up when it got a little dark and the sensor read zero. If the testing was done in adequate lighting then the fault would not have been noticed.

I’m making excuses for all the geeks and testers, I know, but then I make excuse for all the screw ups I have made too.

1 Like

While this is true, somebody clever invented something called quality assurance to catch something like that before it reaches customers.

Lacking that, a beta tester process could perhaps help. (And of course would delay releases.)

Yes, this would be interesting.

That would have been not much of a test then.

4 Likes

There’s an interesting post that links to details for ambient light settings.

However another issue I note on my device is that the LUX reading via Service tests > Test single > ambient light drops to zero when there is plenty of light

Another anomaly is that when the LUX reading is zero in adequate lighting if I turn off the Adaptive brightness the LUX reading disappears and there’s not even a zero reading. It does start up again once more light is sensed.

But no reading at all ???

After several tests I can tell you, that the proposed solution doesn’t work for me.
For now it helps to lock and unlock the screen.
Hopefully the next update will help.

2 Likes

FAO Fairphone

There a couple of users commenting on

Antoine an idea when this Will Be fixed Alain?

Not really. If Fairphone had enough resources this may have been fixed within days. Maybe it will be used as impetus to release the next security update at a month interval.

I would hope that, as Fairphone are monitoring this topic, they would indicate when they think they can deal with this, but no update from Fairphone yet :frowning:

1 Like

Interesting post

I thought they outsourced the FP3 android software development to a company in asia because they don’t had the ressources in the past? (was topic at the last big issues around buggy network compatibility in european networks - this issues stayed undiscovered because the software company just testet the FP3 in asian networks).

This auto brightness error is nearly in all FP3s around me so I could think it’s a general bug. So FP didn’t test it itself before release or the software department has a very bad QA. I mean it’s not a tricky bug, it’s very obvious.

Don’t count on a fast fix or update. In the past, these kind of “non-showstopper” bugs did not got an extra hotfix update. My guess is november…

7 Likes

“A company in asia” would be their phone production parter Arima, and I would guess they outsourced it because their inhouse software team is still servicing the Fairphone 2.

Today I was driving in my car using my Fairphone 3+ to navigate.
I was in a longer tunnel and here the brightness was reduced too.
The screen was so dark, that I could not see anything, so I missed the correct lane.

This issue can also be risky!

2 Likes

I’ve had the same issue. I have random unexplained drops in brightness. Has anyone found a solution other than tape? I don’t really want tape on my phone.

Hi @georgehibberd Welcome to the forum.

The issue this topic refers to was very rare and referred to an earlier version of A10

What version of A10 do you have?

The latest update is 0129 and the current issue with Adaptive light issues is collated in the topic below. Fairphone are aware of the new issues.

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Update 3.A.0129.20210805: Meta and side effect discussions

So i got the update and the ambient lighting issue is very prominent and sometimes even dims the light so far that i even at night can no longer read the text on my phone. I can understand that it could be the result of a fix to save battery (if that was the motivation behind it). I also want to try to leave some room for thought. Is it maybe possible to make smaller jumps from being bright to being dim but therefore have more of them? I can imagine that could maybe help with these big jumps from being bright to being dim. (I have checked that and most of the time it was switching from the dimmest setting to half brightest setting and vice versa if you tilt the phone the right way (I use a FP3+). Hopefully this is more helpful to you than my initial comment.

1 Like

I moved your post to this topic dedicated to this particular issue.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I must have completely overlooked that.

1 Like

I let this post stand here in this topic for Fairphone to perhaps see and factor in, but I moved the ensuing discussion to Update 3.A.0129.20210805: Meta and side effect discussions, for those interested.

3 Likes

I must say that I’m really disappointed.

Many many users confirmed this problem, but after more than three weeks an unsatisfying “we are into it”-comment is all we got .

If we ask ourselves why many people still prefer cheap standard phones: here we may have a reason for it.

2 Likes