Update Aug 0129 Ambient light | Adaptive brightness

There is a similar thread to this issue, but it has occurred before the latest update:

Maybe reducing the backlight (rolled out with the latest update) lets the issue occur more frequently now…

1 Like

Yes I commented on that post which though is a different issue and wasn’t so for other users. Also it was the opposite in a sense

The odd thing here is that the dimming is related only to the fact that the ambient light sensor can read zero when there is still sufficient light and drops the brightness, so it’s not so much that the lower level of brightness has been reduced, which is fine but the sensor is not calibrated to a low level also.

1 Like

I wonder whether the reading of the ambient light sensor needs some fine tuning (software), or the sensor itself is too light sensitive (hardware)…

1 Like

I think the opposite ~ it is not sensitive enough it goes to zero when there’s plenty of light and then turns the screen dark thinking it’s midnight in a forest.

There’s also a time element. Each time I set the brightness to a specific level it fine for a while even if the ambient light sensor reads zero, I can check by covering with my finger.

It seems as though it stays OK for a couple of hours.

I may start timing the changes. ??

@gr3821 reported:

I believe it could be like this: The phone automatically reduces the backlight in dark ambience. However, the screen light is reflected by the face when the phone is held in front of, causing the backlight to be increased again. This may occur too fast so that auto brightness immediately drops to zero probably by accident. The solution might be to lengthen the time frame(s) in which sensor readings are done, and introduce (a) delay(s), to calculate and apply proper brightness values…

1 Like

Don’t forget the post you are referring to was before this update and as I said quite the opposite.

In this case, at the moment it’s working fine in that although the sensor may read zero the auto brightness does not drop to zero but at some time, maybe in the morning there is plenty of light but the sensor reads zero. So unless the phone is turned towards incident light it record no light

Hey thank you for the proposed solution. I will test this now.
Could you maybe edit your original post because the forum did not show your reply with the solution untill I clicked the ‘2 replies’ button. If you edit your original post, people will see the solution faster.

Edit: Tried it, but no cigar. Turned adaptive off for now…

1 Like

Hi @Ciaran and welcome to the forum.

The post you refer to is not a solution but I have found many adjustments make a temporary change.

It will be good to hear from you what happens when you try the ‘advice’. Please keep this topic updated with your findings.

Thanks

1 Like

I know, but as I have already pointed out, the change in the latest update obviously made the issue worse, so more users likely will experience it.

We shall not forget that the OS is learning all the time, and these sudden backlight changes might have produced a lot of weird patterns which - theoretically - cannot be applied by the backlight controller…

Terrible behavior! The Auto brightness feature is totally unusable this way. Why are things messed up with updates? I hate buying problems with others being solved. Can I downgrade?

1 Like

Hi Yes you can downgrade but it’s not automatic, you have to install an older version manually.

The downloads are available via

2 Likes

Ok the good news is that this morning the auto brightness seems fine.

I can cover the ambient light sensor and the screen is very usable, darkish as I would expect but would be good for the night.

Maybe the phone does have a brain or it just mine getting to see the light.

OK
I am interested in what your phone does after a restart … Are the set values ​​saved?

1 Like

I haven’t restarted my phone for days, since I wanted to mess with formatting SD cards and had to remove the battery.

As things seem to be improving I’ll see if in another few days all has stabilised and then I’ll do a restart and update here.

I think sometimes it’s better to face the truth…
cu

The problem with the truth is that it is relative to the enquirer. It is true for some that it is now daytime, for some it is night, for some twilight and for someone off planet they can see that each is true and false and not something they can decide or experience and hence know.

OK There is an official response to the issue that it is being looked into.

3 Likes

I have started getting this in daylight and artificial light. Most annoying. I will try turning it off and see what happens.

1 Like

Turning off the Auto brightness does avoid the problem, but is is being officially looked at.

However after 5 days mine has been stable for since yesterday evening. So hopefully there is some algorithm that I have managed to force into a useable function.

I should wary of speaking too soon, roll on the evening when the light dims.

1 Like