Update Aug 0129 Ambient light | Adaptive brightness

“A company in asia” would be their phone production parter Arima, and I would guess they outsourced it because their inhouse software team is still servicing the Fairphone 2.

Today I was driving in my car using my Fairphone 3+ to navigate.
I was in a longer tunnel and here the brightness was reduced too.
The screen was so dark, that I could not see anything, so I missed the correct lane.

This issue can also be risky!

2 Likes

I’ve had the same issue. I have random unexplained drops in brightness. Has anyone found a solution other than tape? I don’t really want tape on my phone.

Hi @georgehibberd Welcome to the forum.

The issue this topic refers to was very rare and referred to an earlier version of A10

What version of A10 do you have?

The latest update is 0129 and the current issue with Adaptive light issues is collated in the topic below. Fairphone are aware of the new issues.

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Update 3.A.0129.20210805: Meta and side effect discussions

So i got the update and the ambient lighting issue is very prominent and sometimes even dims the light so far that i even at night can no longer read the text on my phone. I can understand that it could be the result of a fix to save battery (if that was the motivation behind it). I also want to try to leave some room for thought. Is it maybe possible to make smaller jumps from being bright to being dim but therefore have more of them? I can imagine that could maybe help with these big jumps from being bright to being dim. (I have checked that and most of the time it was switching from the dimmest setting to half brightest setting and vice versa if you tilt the phone the right way (I use a FP3+). Hopefully this is more helpful to you than my initial comment.

1 Like

I moved your post to this topic dedicated to this particular issue.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I must have completely overlooked that.

1 Like

I let this post stand here in this topic for Fairphone to perhaps see and factor in, but I moved the ensuing discussion to Update 3.A.0129.20210805: Meta and side effect discussions, for those interested.

3 Likes

I must say that I’m really disappointed.

Many many users confirmed this problem, but after more than three weeks an unsatisfying “we are into it”-comment is all we got .

If we ask ourselves why many people still prefer cheap standard phones: here we may have a reason for it.

2 Likes

Definitely not the reason as most people don’t buy a Fairphone with these challenges :slight_smile:

Still nothing new about the ambient light problem? It’s rellay annoying.

3 Likes

Same issue with the Ambient Light Sensor since the Update 8901.3.A.0129.20210805.

The reading of the Ambient Light Sensor in the Service Menue goes to zero sometimes although it is bright enough to read Newspaper.
Regards Peter

4 Likes

I was riding my bike two days ago with the FP3 on the handlebars. In pure, bright sunshine, which should be the brightest the ambient light sensor could ever see, the brightness suddenly went to zero. I had to restart the phone as I had absolutely no chance to see anything on the screen.

So there is definitively something terribly wrong with the software handling the value from the sensor.

2 Likes

The changes made in regard to adaptive brightness will be reverted in the next update:

1 Like

Hi ! Just want to make sure we’ll automatically but informed when it’s fixed. Or do we have to be part of a list ? Thanks !

1 Like

The idea is that the fix will be rolled out automatically as an update via your provider, See the post above yours :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic will close 6 months after the last reply.
Just to have it open until 2/04/2022…
I really liked the adaptive brightness feature as it was before so I’ll check for updates on a regular basis and keep on moving the slider from 0% to 50 or more. Maybe he is a slow learner…

1 Like

Just put it temporarily off, much better.

Thanks for the tip but no thanks.