Unprovoked loss of all contacts

Hi Paul,
I lost all my contacts today as well. It happend some time ago but after couple of hour the majority was back. This time everything is gone. I’ve waited several hours but still nothing. And they were all saved on the phone, not in the cloud or any of the sum cards.
Any idea what I could do?
Thx a lot in advance! :smile:
Melly

Hey Melly,
I moved your post to a new topic because if you say you don’t use google or another way to sync your contacts then the other topic was not the right place.
Unfortunately I have no idea what could have caused this and if you don’t have a backup I have no idea how to restore them either.
But hopefully somebody else knows something. :smile:

what did you do before?
Can you adb pull the file data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts.db to your computer and take a look at the file, to see if your contacts are still there? While your there, give us the -l output of data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/

Cheers!

1 Like

You’re right and I don’t want to correct you. But would this also work with an unroot’ed adbbs? I’m not sure, maybe she will just get “Permission denied”. But I assume the following should work and give at least the “ls -l” results. Just to be sure as a step-by-step, because some people are not used to adb (I don’t know about you, Melly, just assuming!):

$ adb shell
shell@android:/ $ su
shell@android:/ # ls -l /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/

With root’ed adbd on the device the db’s (or what ever shows up on the ls -l output) can be pulled like this:

adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db

ADB console from MTK Droid Root & Tools should work alright with FP1/FP1U. You might need the appropriate driver first.

Cheers!