[UNOFFICIAL] Stock ROM Android 4.4.2/4.4.4 Kitkat for FP1 & FP1U

No seriously… how can I find out what’s keeping my phone very busy and hence slowing it down?

There is no guide for that yet, I’m sorry. Mostly it will help if you setup the phone so that you can access it using adb. With that you can run some commands on the phone (adb shell) to check how its resources are being used and also have a look at the logs (adb logcat). But so far nobody has written a guide for this yet. :frowning:

Alternatively, OSMonitor provides enough information to do some basic checks.

1 Like

There are also some logcat apps.

0.9.5 released.
Changelog:

Changelog fp1-kk444-CH-0.9.5 (you might want to check if there are new gapps here as you need to flash them again at same time: http://opengapps.org/):

8 Likes

Installed and tested by installing it through adb sideload fp1-kk444-CH-0.9.5.zip as described. Update worked well. Xposed reinstalled nicely through the updater again, microG still works as well.

Fixed links:
Android Security Updates from Google bulletin 1-MAR-2016

1 Like

Thanks for this rom.

Installed and tested 3 days ago. No problem and all my applications wok fine.

Thanks a lot for all the work!!!

Upgrade worked flawlessly :slight_smile: Thanks for all your work on this ROM

Pete

I also have installed 0.9.5 and it works good!

However, I think that the App-Switcher is much slower than with the official Fairphone OS. I searched a bit in the internet and found that it could be the Swap. The original Fairphone OS has no Swap but this rom has 500 MB Swap (You can see that with the app “OS Monitor”).

Is this true?
If yes: any idea how to disable the Swap?

1 Like

Dear all,

Did anybody succeed in using the Estimote BT LE beacons with the 4.4.4 ROM? I experience the same problems as with Fitbit activity tracker: the device is visible in the list of Bluetooth devices, but the app does not recognize/ find them.

Apart from connecting to Bluetooth LE devices, the ROM works very well for me. Unfortunately, the BT LE functionality is one of the main reasons for me to use Android 4.4.4.

Michel

Hi Michel

Sadly I think this is a problem with the BT LE stack in the ROM. I have experienced similar problems with my Garmin VivoActive which also uses BT LE to connect to the phone. Sometimes it will connect, but not reliably, and, if it does manage to connect, the connection gets dropped after only a few minutes, and automatic reconnections don’t work.

I’ve kept the ROM as the other stuff makes it very much worth having IMHO, and I can sync with my Garmin via a laptop rather than the phone.

Sorry I don’t have good news for you.

Pete

Yes, I also have the feeling that the “hardware” is somehow around, but that there is a problem with the software layer. According to the info I found, BT LE should work “somehow” with both phones. But maybe I’m reading it the wrong way. I’m sure there is a way to debug this somehow, if you have the right tools. I think MTK/Android is not using the standard stack anymore. So I guess all we can do is wait for the last MTK FP1 release from FP.

Hi all,
Just installed the ROM two days ago, thanks @chrmhoffmann.
Thanks @fp1_wo_sw_updates for the HOWTO. Eventually I can add a section on how to do it WITHOUT a working USB port (dead on my FP1), using adb over wi-fi.

Overall the ROM sounds good but I have two minor problems:
a) I use the two SIM cards (private/pro) and need to be able to send SMS with both of them. The stock messaging app before the 4.4.4 ROM was dealing it correctly asking with SIM card to use before sending an SMS. And I was using Textra, more fun, for my private SMS. Here comes my problem: the 4.4.4 ROM’s stock messaging app (1) needs to be the default messaging app exclusively, and (2) doesn’t bother with dual SIM. Any hint?
b) I was using Gmail with multiples accounts, among them my pro emails directly in gmail through the Google add-on “Exchange services”. It does not work anymore : (1) the 4.4.4 ROM comes with an older version of Exchanges services which is not detected by the current gmail version, (2) I can’t succeed to connect to my pro email account with a newer “Exchange services” add-on. I fixed the matter by installing the Outlook app, which works fine, but it was not (at all) my first intent! :wink:

1 Like

This would be cool, even for other purposes, as there are quite a few FP1s without working USB port.

1 Like

Feel free to do so!

The tender FP1 usb port is very very annoying and it still makes me angry that this wasn’t fixed for the replacement boards or FP1U. I have several other devices with usb ports soldered directly to the board I use daily and they still work. On a phone this part should be very solid or very easy replaceable. Also it’s very sad that FP is not publishing any numbers to quantify this problem. Together with missing software it totally kills the longevity of the FP1.

If I recall correctly MTK modified the google apps to make them work for dual sim. Can you try using the apks from the official FP1 rom? Check the description for the launcher, maybe the same will work for other apps as well. But this is just a guess.

You should be able to use IMAP with Google and multiple accounts, I think. But maybe I misunderstand your private/pro setup. I would try to avoid exchange or only use it with the Outlook app for the one account you really need to use it with. IMAP should work out of the box with most other applications.

Did you also flash current google apps?

I am using Exchange without any problems with the standard E-Mail app (not the gmail app).

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the cursed opengapps :slight_smile: There is a tiny hint for them in the howto.

I flashed the last version of nano gapps, but it’s a hint. Exchange services is not part of the nano package and maybe the version I added is not fully compatible? I will investigate.

1 Like

Nice idea, but I can’t see any “Messaging.apk” in FP1-Fairphone_OS_v1_8_7_OTA_2015081400.zip. Furthermore, I don’t remember any “Defaut SMS app” entry in the “Wireless & networks” system settings. I guess it came with 4.4.4?

Sure, but my company uses Office365 and I’m comdemned to follow the rule and use Exchange. I am just seeking a solution to have it in Gmail beside my other email accounts.

1 Like