Unable to set new EMAIL accounts

Hi!

I have just received my fairphone! So excited about it.

I have tried to set up my email accounts through the “Email” app, but failed. No matter whether I try to install my Gmail or my Outlook account, the phone keeps giving me the following error message: “Couldn’t Finish: Couldn’t Open Connection to Server”. I have tried to do it manually or through the wizard (for Gmail only) and neither one works. My IMAP and POP are enabled so I have no idea of what goes wrong. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Hi Maria,

could you please check first if your phone is connected to the internet?

Greetings

Tom

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is. I have no trouble downloading apps, and as a matter of fact I have the Gmail and Outlook apps working, but I’d like to have them in the Email app instead…

Ok,

then try the following:

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All (slide from right to left)
  2. Find the E-Mail App and click on it
  3. Press the “Delete/Erase data” button
  4. Try again to set up an account

If this doesn’t help I have no further idea.

Greetings

Tom

Hi,

Thanks. I just tried that… it still doesn’t work :frowning:

If all else fails, you could try using an alternative email app. I hear K9 mail is popular.

It should work with any email app really…

I remember I had to redo the setup a couple times before getting it right. Maybe something is wrong with URIs or port numbers?

Thank you all for your answers. I have redone it a number of times now - double checking port numbers - and it still doesn’t work… I will try K9, thank you!

I had to do it a couple of times before it worked, got the server wrong (it was different than what was already put in, which seemed logical to me. But then it wasn’t).

It worked!!! I tried again today and it worked! Only for Gmail though, not for Outlook, but still I am happy. Thanks all!