Unable to install .apk packages on FP3

Dear all,

since November 2021 I have been unable to manually install software from .apk packages on my FP3. Prior to that it had worked pretty well.

I am running a FP3 without a google account. With a few exceptions, among which are the official Corona Warn App from German Robert-Koch-Institut or the alternative camera app “simple camera”, I solely use the pre-installed apps, .

Until last November I had extracted the package using APK analyzer on another FP3 and then sent the .apk file to the FP3 without the Google Account. At the beginning of the installation process I could grant the permission.

Unfortunately, this procedure is no longer working. When tapping an .apk file, e.g. an update to an existing app, I am still prompted to grant the permission to install - once or permanent - but when I click it nothing happens. No setup/installation is being carried out.

My first thought was that the package was corrupted but the phone won’t let me install any other .apk file, too.

Is this a known issue? Is it down to the latest security patch?
I’ve browsed through all the settings in my phone but can’t find anything helpful.

Thanks for any reply

Andreas

From memory: You can enable ‘developer options’ and then you can :slight_smile:

There’s often a warning about alliwing such
First

• FP3 and FP4: Settings > About Phone > tap build number 10 times
    Settings > System > (Advanced) > Developer Options > ON

I wonder why you went with this difficult route, given both those apps are available (in slightly modified form in CWA’s case) on F-Droid. And the F-Droid website also lets you download .apk files directly if you don’t want to use the F-Droid app (CWA, Simple Camera). Seems much easier.

No clue why you’re having this problem though, I wish I could help instead of just suggesting a workaround.

3 Likes

I download various, apk(s) mostly from apkpure, and no problem ?

Problem fixed …

Sophos Intercept X security software was the culprit. Sophos scans apps at some point during the installation process. All that used to happen in the background eventually showing a notification of the scan result.

I guess Sophos was updated recently as now, after tapping the .apk-file, I’ve got to choose Sophos instead of package installer. Sophos then scans the .apk and shows a button that opens an option to install a package from an unknown source, just like before. So it’s just an intermediate step.

Thanks for your extremely quick replies anyway!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.