UBPorts 16.04 updates + feature tests

Yes I did, I had to reinstall them all, as if I completely resetted up the phone.

E.g. the following apps are not running: Dekko2 (crashing), Ghostcloud (impossible to define a cloud-account, although already defined in the settings), Xing (crashing), Pubmed (crashing), and more (I don’t remember them all as I deleted them).

I guess I will stick to e.OS, it is more reliable.

By the way: the forum of ubports is - comparing to this one - a complete mess…

Ubuntu Touch OTA-17 is released with support for NFC, camera fixes for many devices, and much more!

#UbuntuTouch #UBports #OTA17

1 Like

Fine, thanks. Update worked well. But since OTA-16 some apps don’t work any more, e.g. GhostCloud is unable to recognise a defined owncloud account, although being newly reinstalled. And as it is the only app availble for ownCloud (not = NextCloud) this is very annoying.

The Email client Dekko2 on the other hand is always crashing…

We are pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu Touch OTA-18. Full details can be found in the accompanying blog post:

#UbuntuTouch #Ubports #OTA18 #Ubuntu

3 Likes

Hmmm, Ghostcloud for example is still not running properly, no way to define an account to it.

Did you try contacting Ghostcloud maintainer (Alfred); or submit a bug on github?

EDIT: seems it’s this bug #57 (solved on March 2021?)…

Yes, one should probabably contact the maintainer, but I’m using UBsync now.

We are pleased to announce the roll out of Ubuntu Touch OTA-19 has begun. Full details can be found in the accompanying blog post:

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA19 #Mobilelinux #Opensource #Lomiri

2 Likes

We are pleased to announce the roll out of Ubuntu Touch OTA-20 has begun. Full details can be found in the accompanying blog post:

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA20 #Mobilelinux #Opensource #Lomiri

2 Likes

Some news about FP2 kernel compatibility to Focal (20.04 LTS) in the last Q&A 112

Recently, Dalton spent around a week doing some partial kernel patching for the Fairphone 2, to try to keep that device in the game. It has basically a heavily patched 3.4 kernel. This was about workarounds just for Xenial. At the end of that process it was very clear that it wasn’t an end at all. The need for more patches will just grow and grow. Keeping it on life support will go on sucking in more and more time, unless we draw a line under it and move on.

The kernel patching for Fairphone 2 was courtesy of Lineage OS and Marius referred to the fact that they are a good example of an organization which operates some strict rules about their support efforts. We can learn from them. They insist on minimum levels of commitment from maintainers before a device will be supported on their infrastructure. If that support wanes, devices are removed. As with other projects, the device will remain in the community list in case someone else wants to step in and take over the maintenance role but there is no sentimentalism because they too have finite resources. They and we cannot do everything.

The move to Focal will not happen automatically for everything on our Devices page. Maintainers will have a big role in making the necessary adjustments and if they don’t do that for their device, it will not get Focal.

We obviously need to spell out what work will be involved in the transition and we also need to start talking transition dates.

The reason for working on the Fairphone at all was that is was the only 32bit device we have that still enjoys any kind of following.

As a reminder, specific kernel patch are needed for Focal, see Q&A 111

Usernamespace should be set to ‘On’ in 20.04. That will necessitate a patch to the kernel of all devices [except PinePhone]. Some devices will then report ugly compile errors and in the worst cases crash at boot. We don’t have a definitive list yet of the devices which cannot be updated to 20.04 but as we discover blocks, maybe we should start such a list?

We know that Nexus 5, Oneplus One and Fairphone 2 fail the test of a readily up-gradable kernel. Fairphone 2 does however have kernel maintenance by both Lineage and Fairphone, so there is something to work with. In principle, anything can be done but our position is that if Dalton has to do more than 40 hours work trying to rescue 5.1 builds, they will be abandoned. Those are popular devices and they are still working quite well but please factor in that they have a finite life and if you possibly can, at least plan for their replacement ‘soon’.

1 Like

We are pleased to announce the roll out of Ubuntu Touch OTA-21 has begun. Full details can be found in the accompanying blog post:

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA21 #Mobilelinux #Opensource #Lomiri

3 Likes

We are pleased to announce the roll out of Ubuntu Touch OTA-22 has begun. Full details can be found in the accompanying blog post:

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA22 #Mobilelinux #Opensource #Lomiri

3 Likes

Cool, I will play around with it on my spare FP2, in order to test it. One or two years ago, I couldn’t get used to it.

We are pleased to announce the roll out of Ubuntu Touch OTA-23 has begun. Full details can be found in the accompanying blog post:

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA23 #Mobilelinux #Opensource #Lomiri

3 Likes

Not yet for Fairphone devices, but it seems that Ubuntu Touch 20.04 is getting closer :slight_smile:

1 Like

20.04 is almost around the corner for FP4 too, see the video :smiley:

Ubuntu Touch OTA-24

We are pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu Touch OTA-24. Full details can be found in the accompanying blog post:

#UbuntuTouch #Ubports #OTA24 ubuntu #OpenSource

NOTE: This is the last OTA for Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial) with major features. The next OTA-25 will be mainly security fixes and long-term support updates for xenial. Ubuntu 20.04 (focal) base has progressed quite far and so we are preparing everything for the switch. This also means that we will prepare OTA support for 20.04!

2 Likes

OTA-25 rolling!

Today we complete a great journey with the release of OTA 25 for Xenial. The final and farewell OTA for Ubuntu Touch 16.04. Full details are in the OTA-25 Blog.

Please note that all Xenial Devel and RC builds will be halted over the next few days.

#UbuntuTouch #UBports #OTA25 #MobileLinux ubuntu

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.