TWRP for Fairphone 3

If you want to restore the data partition on a Fairphone 3 with TWRP, before restoring make sure that encryption would be set up the same way as when the backup was made.

I have successfully restored the complete state of the phone following these steps …

• Install the OS build that matches the data partition to restore.
    (I needed to match the build this way, else restoring the data partition would fail.)
  • Boot the installed OS, set up the screen lock (= the decryption method) in the same way it was set up when the backup of the data partition was made.
    (Else restoring the data partition would fail.)
  • Restore the data partition with TWRP.
  • Copy the whole Internal Storage back to the phone (since TWRP doesn’t include Internal Storage in a backup, so I always use other means to backup Internal Storage).
1 Like

Interesting, I assume this an issue with the way TWRP performs the restore? Because in theory, the backup data should contain everything that’s required to restore the previous encryption state, no?

I also observed that the TWRP factory reset did not work properly (system would still not boot after wiping). The only way to get the phone into a bootable state for me was to use the factory reset feature of the default recovery partition.

1 Like

There are some topics discussing missing support for file systems over at the /e/ community:

1 Like

I have a rooted FP3, but the system was in RO. Is there any particular reason that I can not do the new update?

1 Like

Can anyone please provide an image of 0118 or 0120? Even though I rooted with system as read only, I can’t do the OTA update, I lost my backups of my 0118 partitions, and I’m not so keen on reverting back to 0110 to update twice.

1 Like

Here you are:

I guess @CosmoSteve meant either a TWRP-installable stock package or a fastboot-flashable stock partition dump.

I think until now nobody was able to manually install an OTA update file successfully …

1 Like

It should be possible to install the OTA manually via TWRP.
However that will have the same restrictions as updating via the OS.
I.e. no modifications to the installed system.

1 Like

If anyone writes me a (comprehensive) to-do list, I’ll revert back to A0111, do the updates up to A0120 and then dump the stock partitions. I couldn’t figure out how to extract stock partitions yet, so I need someone to explain it to me.

1 Like

Another option is to apply the updates on a PC using This fork of payload_dumper by @corvuscorax and create full images that way.
I’m sorry, I haven’t had the time to provide newer full images, I’ll look into it.

2 Likes

I have dumped the full a/b partitions of an unmodified A.0120 via firehose, luckily with the A/B scheme A.0118 was also available as the old inactive slot:
https://data.lrnz.org/fp3/stock/

Is there an easy way to extract the sha256 values (and sizes) for all partitions from the OTA packages? (to allow verification of the images)

Note that these are full images of the partitions and might need to be truncated for the sha256sum to match, i.e.

$ head -c 1650688 aboot.bin | openssl dgst -binary -sha256 | openssl base64
2qMGLGDBFCqka93pztTtXcrzYzs+QY+Onlu5e9fz/0M=

matches what I found in my logcat from the A.0120 update:

PartitionInfo new aboot sha256: 2qMGLGDBFCqka93pztTtXcrzYzs+QY+Onlu5e9fz/0M= size: 1650688
1 Like

Replying myself after reading a bit into the source:

The payload_dumper mentioned above can do that verification by updating the A.0118 images with the A.0120 ota and comparing the result with the A.0120 images (after truncating them to the same size).

Example output for aboot:

Processing aboot partition... Checking original Sha256, should be b'yhcG8fijO/ly6BBArVhgQ2/SCmZcRMjl/WtQpv0ZV+A=' ... passed... 
extracting... truncating... Checking new Sha256, should be b'2qMGLGDBFCqka93pztTtXcrzYzs+QY+Onlu5e9fz/0M=' ... passed... done

Excuse my noobish question, but can we flash those .bin files as if they were .img files?

I flashed them with fastboot and everything just worked

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! I just flashed them via fastboot, and just as a heads up, eventually everything worked. However, immediatly after flashing, I was greeted by something really spooky: P5160009

Only 3 white lines appeared. However, the device was still being found by fastboot, and after a second reboot into bootloader I saw this:
P5160010 P5160011

Those yellow stripes are no artefact of the camera, that’s what it really looked like.

But, after another reboot into bootloader, I saw the familiar screen, and was able to boot the phone normally.

But damn, that was scary. If anyone knows what that was, I’m eager to learn.

2 Likes

I’m so glad somebody else encountered some funny Fastboot Mode and made pictures :slight_smile: .
I didn’t take pictures, sadly, but I so far had:

• some really nice vertical coloured stripes in the background, mostly out of the blue-ish and red-ish range, fancily fading off the screen after a while.
  • the same stripes only in shades of green, fancily reacting to touch on the touchscreen (I think, but could have been some other input, too, it’s been a while), and there to stay.
  • the whole screen colour inverted.

… and every time accompanying a perfectly fine working Fastboot Mode.
With the stripes I thought “Ok, easter eggs perhaps.”, but the colour inversion was a bit bland compared to the nice stripes :slight_smile: .

Edit: New instances of funny, but working Fastboot Mode for me …

• the screen content flipped upside down
  • totally black screen, no text or anything
1 Like

I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one to have those! Do you think this might have something to do with how fast the phone was rebooted into fastboot after flashing it? Because this time, the flashing and rebooting process happened faster than ever before for me (I used that one flashing script floating around here).

I don’t understand the inner workings of the phone, but I can imagine that after flashing around and rebooting too quickly, some parts could still hold charges or not be properly reset, resulting in those glitches.

I have no idea.

Working perfectly, thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Hello all,

this TWRP version can / should be installed only on FP3, right?
And not on FP2?

I’m not up to date at this moment, my last bit of information was that the official TWRP version for FP2 is not able to decrypt data partition, while this TWRP version for FP3 obviously can do this.
If this FP3 TWRP version can’t be used on FP2, is there a version for FP2 able to decrypt data partition?