I tried to install the 20171016 build using the OTA updater, but it didn’t work. The phone rebooted but got stuck on the following screen:
The device is encrypted, so usually it asks for the password when booting to TWRP, but in this case it didn’t.
The device got very hot, so I switched it off after some time.
Any idea what I could try now?
Edit 1 - Solution: In addition to the encrypted device I am using an SD card as adopted storage. The solution was to move the data from SD card to internal storage and then remove the SD card.
In case anyone has the same problem, here are the steps:
- Delete data from SD card (of course make a backup first!) like photos, videos, offline map data etc. until the remaining data fits into the internal storage.
- Go to Settings > Storage > Internal shared storage. From the menu on the top right select Migrate data and migrate the data to the internal storage.
- Go to Settings > Storage > SD card > Apps. If there are any apps, move them to the internal storage.
- Go to Settings > Storage > SD card and select Eject from the menu on the top right.
- Remove the SD card.
- Booting into TWRP should work now.
Edit 2 - Final solution: Edit 3: It seems something went wrong when only 1 partition was created, so this solution usually doesn’t work (see here).
[quote="_Chris, post:28, topic:34370"]
I finally found the cause of the problem with the adopted storage:
The SD card was formatted as external storage before formatting it as adopted storage. As a side effect there was a remaining small 17 MB partition in addition to the adopted storage partition on SD card.
The solution is to delete all partitions before formatting an SD card as adopted storage. This way there is only the adopted storage partition on SD card and TWRP doesn’t get “confused” any more by multiple partitions.
So finally I am able to boot into TWRP using an encrypted device with adopted storage