Timely Rollout of Google Security Patches

If asking Fairphone’s appointed Social Media and Community Managers counts …

The forum is not an official channel and never has been. That’s why I ask. If it’s important, don’t just post on the forum, contact FP

3 Likes

That’s true, of course.

Yes, I did.
@all its really simple,
just got to
https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
enter description subject and email
select -a product you already own,
FP3
where you purchased it
the order number
select problem with updating
state your country
enter your provider
pick the severeness of the problem
look up your IMEI1 number
(these are the required parts only, you can enter more information)
now just solve the google captcha and submit.

1 Like

Yes, I have. I only received a delayed answer from a support guy who obviously did not know what he was talking (or rather writing) about. Mostly prefab text blocks, no explanation, no date, nothing. Only after that I wrote the post which started this thread.

1 Like

It usually works like this: Fairphone delivers their software to the network providers, they add their software and do some testing and give the result back to Fairphone. Fairphone then publishes the software. Some providers may have delivered their software to Fairphone to be included in their Open Market software, others prefer to add it themselves (Vodafone and it looks like Deutsche Telekom as well), for others I don’t know.

3 Likes

I know some Vodafone users claimed they received an update in June but unlike the other times somebody received an update, nobody made a screen capture to prove it… On this kind of things, I am like Saint Thomas.

Hi everyone,

Thanks @AnotherElk and @Chris_R for alerting me to this thread. Of course, there are many valid concerns shared here. These are actually on our radar, and in the background I have been following up on this. Unfortunately, I cannot give an immediate response, but I have alerted the relevant colleagues and I will return to this thread as soon as I have more information to share. Thanks also to everyone for your understanding. It is much appreciated.

Rae :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Hi Rae,

good to know. It’s almost been a week, so I just wanted to kindly ask if there is any news from the relevant colleagues that you are willing to share.

Best wishes,
Thomas

2 Likes

Hi Thomas,

Not yet. I will update you all as soon as possible though. :wink:

2 Likes

I’d like to chime in with support here. There may only be a few of us concerned enough about this issue to bring it up, but it effects every single Fairphone3 customer. Timely security updates are not optional.

8 Likes

Hi Rae,

it’s been two weeks now with August getting nearer. Any news to share from your relevant colleagues in the meantime?

Best wishes,
Thomas

3 Likes

Given this thread I’d like to add that timely responses to security concerns are not optional.

Well, you are in a user forum here.
Therefore answers from Fairphone here ARE optional.

But, to be honest, I doubt, that answering supprt will result in better/faster responses. :wink:

2 Likes

I’d like to voice another opinion regarding this as I’m quite concerned about the matter. Since Fairphone seems to watch this thread via @formerFP.Com.Manager I deem it the right place to do so.

To me the Fairphone 3 is the entry point to the Fairphone universe. Before I had two devices from Blackberry. They did a fine job delivering timely security patches and a horrible job on delivering them for the period that was promised.

In all my naivety I’d tend to say that most costumers bought the Fairphone 3 for ecological sustainability and human wellbeing which I’d label two of the most noble goals to pursue. What initially caught my interest though was the promise of software updates for five years (which is indirectly linked to the sustainability aspect).

It was already stated and I couldn’t agree more that “timely security updates are not optional”. Getting software for five years is futile if the updates are not up to date.

In the same breath I’d like to emphasize that such delays need to be communicated. Missing the timely rollout of two, soon three security patches is not trivial in my opinion, especially if the smartphone is used for finances, healthcare, insurances and other sensible data. When does Fairphone intend to notify it’s userbase about the missing security? Does it intend to do so at all? Would this have been communicated if some users didn’t post in a forum?

In the end I’ve got to admit that my post is somewhat limited in it’s usage since in the end everything I could think of was said already by people faster to find this thread. Cynics could say it was a waste of time to do so.

Still I went out of my way to post since I found it important to get loud in some way for an important task. Hopefully this won’t repeat and if so it’ll be communicated with transparency. This is my first Fairphone and primarily I chose this smartphone to get software for as long as possible. I even felt some pride (of course idiotic since it’s not my company) when the OS update for the Fairphone 2 was announced and was sure to have made the right decision.

I’m not so sure anymore…

8 Likes

Hi everyone,

@Nostalgia, thank you for sharing your thoughts here. I have read every comment in this thread and everyone’s opinion is heard and is valid. I also understand the frustration you and others feel.

Providing an official patch roadmap is, of course, not just something I can ask a member of our software team for. It would require careful planning and a cross functional team effort. Therefore, I would like to apologise for the delay in response. But rest assured, I have shared this thread internally, and I will provide an update asap.

Thanks once again for your patience and understanding.

Rae :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Dear Rae,

Of course, this is exactly what you can ask a member of your software team for.

It would require careful planning and a cross functional team effort.

Means that Fairphone has neither or what?

I am totally dissatisfied with your answer, to be honest. Once again no information, no transparency, no commitment, no due date. My patience is wearing thin.

Best wishes,
Thomas

2 Likes

I am sure your dissatisfaction will spur the development team forward and they’ll release a patch post-haste to quell your increasing ire

Kindest of Regards,
Ru

:roll_eyes:

I can’t affirm things I don’t know about, so I will simply ask to @formerFP.Com.Manager why it isn’t possible.

Edit: Ok I had my answer.

1 Like