Timely Rollout of Google Security Patches

:de: Aber regelmäßig wird das Update auch erst bis ca. einen Monat nach dem Stand des Patches ausgeliefert, soweit ich das mitbekommen habe.

:uk: Regularly the update is provided around one month after the date of the patch; if I remember correctly.
That’s just to make clear, that the patch-date is not the date the update is delivered, because the manufacturer has to adjust it to it’s device.

Nimm kein Samsung. Mag sein, dass die Software zeitig aktualisiert wird, aber Unmengen an Bloatware, kein Stock, nach zwei Jahren ist Schluss mit updates. Dann wirklich iPhone, oder Pixel oder vielleicht Motorola.

The last one is from April and we are on July 7th…

The link about Samsung being great at updates is misleading, not to say a lie. Most of Samsung phones don’t receive regular updates, especially the low- and mid-range models, whereas the Nokia 1 from 2018 is still supported and even receive upgrades…
If you want updates with a Samsung phone, take a flagship. With Nokia, updates come later but are for three years. And with Fairphone, it can be up to 5 years but we have to be patient :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Sorry, the last one is from 05.06… To get this you may be have to change your SIM to a SIM (also inactive SIM works!) from another Network-Provider. Also don’t throw away your old SIMs but collect them…

1 Like

I understood that Fairphone cannot deliver an open market software for everybody for Fairphone 3 as it was for Fairphone 2. New demands of network providers regarding VoLTE and VoWiFi made this currently impossible. On the other hand, providers mostly have timelines with quartely updates. I believe Fairphone does a good job, but there is a gap in processes and communication.

2 Likes

No, it’s different this time. Only Vodafone customers have received the A.0124 update so far (used to be the other way round). And except for the patchlevel, nothing much is known about the contents of the update. It might be partly provider-specific.

I respectfully disagree. Provider updates is a different story. OEMs get monthly patches from Google and should deliver those in a timely manner for security reasons. Fairphone seemed to be on track at the beginning of the year. But there were issues for Vodafone customers, who would not receive newly available updates.

Now it’s the other way round: Vodafone customers (some at least) have received an update which contains the June patches from Google. But the rest of us have not. So I don’t think that Fairphone or its SW development provider is not doing a good job these days.

And there is indeed a gap in communication. Paul Watzlawick famously said: You cannot not communicate. I think that Fairphone should communicate its update roadmaps way more transparently. I totally understand that there can be all kinds of issues which keep them from releasing an update, but I can tolerate those much easier when I know what’s going on behind the scenes.

8 Likes

Rather than arguing the toss between all of us who don’t know (because none of us do know what’s going on)… has anyone actually contacted FP directly to ask them what’s happening and why the update has only gone out to Vodafone customers?

3 Likes

If asking Fairphone’s appointed Social Media and Community Managers counts …

The forum is not an official channel and never has been. That’s why I ask. If it’s important, don’t just post on the forum, contact FP

3 Likes

That’s true, of course.

Yes, I did.
@all its really simple,
just got to
https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
enter description subject and email
select -a product you already own,
FP3
where you purchased it
the order number
select problem with updating
state your country
enter your provider
pick the severeness of the problem
look up your IMEI1 number
(these are the required parts only, you can enter more information)
now just solve the google captcha and submit.

1 Like

Yes, I have. I only received a delayed answer from a support guy who obviously did not know what he was talking (or rather writing) about. Mostly prefab text blocks, no explanation, no date, nothing. Only after that I wrote the post which started this thread.

1 Like

It usually works like this: Fairphone delivers their software to the network providers, they add their software and do some testing and give the result back to Fairphone. Fairphone then publishes the software. Some providers may have delivered their software to Fairphone to be included in their Open Market software, others prefer to add it themselves (Vodafone and it looks like Deutsche Telekom as well), for others I don’t know.

3 Likes

I know some Vodafone users claimed they received an update in June but unlike the other times somebody received an update, nobody made a screen capture to prove it… On this kind of things, I am like Saint Thomas.

Hi everyone,

Thanks @AnotherElk and @Chris_R for alerting me to this thread. Of course, there are many valid concerns shared here. These are actually on our radar, and in the background I have been following up on this. Unfortunately, I cannot give an immediate response, but I have alerted the relevant colleagues and I will return to this thread as soon as I have more information to share. Thanks also to everyone for your understanding. It is much appreciated.

Rae :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Hi Rae,

good to know. It’s almost been a week, so I just wanted to kindly ask if there is any news from the relevant colleagues that you are willing to share.

Best wishes,
Thomas

2 Likes

Hi Thomas,

Not yet. I will update you all as soon as possible though. :wink:

2 Likes

I’d like to chime in with support here. There may only be a few of us concerned enough about this issue to bring it up, but it effects every single Fairphone3 customer. Timely security updates are not optional.

8 Likes

Hi Rae,

it’s been two weeks now with August getting nearer. Any news to share from your relevant colleagues in the meantime?

Best wishes,
Thomas

3 Likes