Third-party Fairphone 1 cases (eg flip, folio, etc)

@stojmas, that’s a good shout! They do look to be good quality :smile:

That clears thing up a bit @Chris_R, thanks! I took ‘this case’ to refer to the flip one being inquired about.

It would be great if there was a third party flip or folio case made especially for the Fairphone; but I guess another option would be to modify a regular or 3d case to include a hinged flap secured either with a pop-button or magnet. Unfortunately my craftsmanship is not of the highest quality!

They are! I had one for my Nexus 4 and it was great.

Going to buy one for my new Fairphone soon. :smile:

Greetings

Tom

Hi,

my FP1U has’t arrived until now but I hope it will come within the next weeks. So I looked for cases these days and found these cases witch seem to be made specially for FairPhones. Unfortunately there are no flip cases :(.

But maybe someone likes them.

Those cases look good too @Shiny, thanks for pointing them out! There’s clearly a number of enterprising individuals out there making cases specifically for the Fairphone, so I’m holding out hope that someone will spot the gap in the market and do a flip or folio case :smiley:

I am desesperately looking for a flipcase too

On the old forum, one user (adamedia) mentionned and presented some pictures of his case and phone
http://support.adamedia.de/fairphone/Fairphone___Start_a_movement/index.html#

He chosed a folio cover Krussel for Sony Xperia Z1
(dimension wikipedia)
144 mm (5.7 in) H
74 mm (2.9 in) W
8.5 mm (0.33 in) D

An other one was happy with a case for
HTC One mini (size wikipedia)
132 mm (5.2 in) H
63.2 mm (2.49 in) W
9.3 mm (0.37 in) D

Someone mentioned
ChangHong V9 aka HONphone V9
123 mm
64.2 mm
9.8 mm

Close you also have the Samsung
Galaxy S4 mini
124.6 mm (4.91 in) H
61.3 mm (2.41 in) W
8.9 mm (0.35 in) D
(Camera lens however not aligned with the one of Fairphone)

By the way the spec of the Fairphone are (source wikipedia)
126.0 mm (4.96 in) H
63.5 mm (2.50 in) W
10 mm (0.39 in) D
(a CAD file is also available for 3D printing: http://www.fairphone.com/downloads/)

Edit: still on the old forum Aurora has provided a link to look for mobile phone by dimensions
GSMarc Model Finder
She pointed two cases which should fit, except for the camera cut-out.

2 Likes

Found a leather case from a Swedish company (Saddler), tailored to fit iPhone 5 but easily ‘converted’ to fit my FP:

I just attached two strips of velcro to FP’s original rubber casing:

And voilà:

4 Likes

@kgha Do you know if this case is available somewhere in the internet?

http://www.saddler.com/en/20/smartphone
Can’t vouch for shipping conditions, though, but I would be surprised if they can’t deliver to another EU country.
SEK100 ~ €10, so they aren’t cheap. But of course one’s FP deserves the best :wink:

Flip cases, side-hinged, cheapo:

I just found this surely-too-cheap-to-be-good side-flipper - does anyone have any experience of it?

There’s also this generic one on German eBay and a different style on UK eBay sold by “tomy80lan” (which I can’t link to due to arbitrary “new users can only post 2 links” rule) - could possibly cut hole(s) in the back for the camera etc?

Also, I’ve always used a strap/lanyard for drop-proofing/theft-proofing my soon-to-be-replaced-with-a-Fairphone old Samsung Galaxy Ace - I’ve always assumed fittings for these were standard on smartphones but now coming to suspect maybe not. Does the Fairphone have a hole & peg or similar to allow fixing a strap/lanyard, or will I have to try to make a hole or something in whatever 3rd party case I buy to protect it?

2 Likes

Hi @AlexD,

the Fairphone itself doesn’t have a hole/peg to fix a lanyard to. (Double checked on my own phone, nope couldn’t find any… ) So I guess you’d have to make a hole in your case then.

1 Like

Hey all. I was browsing around and found these beautiful cases on Etsy. They’re handmade in Germany, and they ship worldwide. I think I’m gonna get one myself!

https://www.etsy.com/dk-en/listing/161638198/phone-case-cover-kirkby-size-4-htc-one?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=fairphone&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

The northern german company Waterkant offers also Fairphone woolfelt and/or leather cases:
http://waterkant-cases.com/fuer-Smartphones/fuer-Fairphone:::90_76.html

(I bought the Deichkoenig woolfelt-bag for Fairphone in grey/white and i’m happy with it)

Hello :slight_smile:

I just have my FP2 since one week and I’m looking for something to protect it.
I was very interested by the Waterkant woolfelt sleeve, or another one, but I have a question : does the FP + case (one of the 2 officials I mean) fits into the sleeve ?
“official case” is great I think to protect the FP from falls, but do not protect it when the FP is in a bag.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hello @Bifidusse,

I own a Waterkant Deichkoenig case but no Bumper. The Faiphone is pretty tight in the case but it is made from felt so it should be possible to stretch it. I can’t say how good a Fairphone without a bumper will fit after doing it.

So you might give it a shot.

regards,
Shiny

Thank you Shiny ! :slight_smile:

I think I’ll try the Waterkant, but I’ll also try to attach a strap on the FP (on the back, at the bottom, there’s something like a grid, I guess it’s the speaker), to secure it when I’m holding it. This kind of strap is very useful when I use my camera (you know, the sort of camera you don’t know where to put your fingers on it because of its size). Using the waterkant, I could see if a bumper case will fit if I find the “strapped” FP not easy to use :wink:

Hi @Bifidusse,
are you sure there’s actually space available to put a string through? Cause when I look really closely at it, it looks like there’s no hole, but the entire ‘middle-brige’ is solid until it touches the mesh-fabric that’s covering the speaker below. Sorry I don’t know the proper terms for the parts!

The middle-bridge (I also don’t konw how to name these parts ;)) is not straight, it makes a little "hill"and I thought I could use this hill to put the strap through it. But it will be tricky I guess, I remember spending a lot of time to attach the strap of my camera and the “hill” of the camera is bigger. I knew I should have studied surgery :smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah I know what you mean. :smile: But to me it looks like underneath this “hill” there’s no hole. I mean I never tried sticking anything through it but it looks like it’s a “closed hill” so to speak. So I was wondering if you poked into the hill to make sure it actually is a hole? (I love this conversation! :joy: )

@Bifidusse
I think Kris’ suspicion is sound.
Unless you’re willing to push and indent the mesh, or drill a hole under the bump of the bridge, there seem to be no way to insert any strap, regardless of how tiny.

I think one way to resolve the strap problem would be to look into adhesive solutions.