Third-party Fairphone 1 cases (eg flip, folio, etc)

Out of context, this sounds like a super philosophical statement.
Anyway, if you manage to attach a string by dismantling the back, please let us know! Cause I remember someone else was also asking about string attachment options, and I’m sure there are more out there interested in this. :wink:

I read the dismantle guide yesterday, and the “speaker’s part underneath the hill that’s not a hole” is part of the back, and I don’t think I can separate it in order to put the strap between these two parts. I could make the strap tight between back and front parts, anywhere else, but that means to make a hole in the front cover in order to leave some room so the strap could be tight but not too much (or the front & back will not fit anymore).

So, if I don’t like to glue things, I’ll check what is possible to do using some anti-theft device, you know, the kind you can see in some shows / shops. I think some of them are glued on the device they protect.

Or I’ll have to buy some MI4 gloves that sticks everything, the ones Tom Cruise was using in Dubaï :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe this could help for holding your phone. I have it on my Fairphone and I find its quite handy.

It ordered it in the Netherlands: http://www.tighton.nl/

1 Like

Hi,

after the fairphone fell on the floor for the first time and the display was immediately destoyed completely I looked for a flipcase to at least protect the new (B-ware) display. After searching the whole town I found one where the fairphone fitted in the hard plastic that is holding the phone inside: http://www.xqisit.com/index.php?productdetail=17923. The man in the Telekom shop was really nice and let me try out all the different types. It is originally made for the Samsung Galaxy S5 mini. It is important to notice that the phone wouldn’t fit ideally in other hard plastic cases for the S5 mini. It was only this specific case where the phone would stay in the hard plastic by itself. The cut-outs for the camera, the speaker and the cables do not fit completely but I cut holes at the right positions with a normal cutter without any problems. The On/Off and the volume buttons are usable as well. I really like this solution!

Stefanie

PS: By the way I was EXTREMELY disappointed when the display broke and I found out that the glass and the display can not be exchanged seperately. Finding this out was even worse that the fact that the phone broke five days after I bought the used phone.

1 Like

I bought one of these:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-Stock-Dedicated-Flip-Leather-Phone-Cover-Case-For-Fairphone-Fairphone-Card-Holder-Bags-Stand-Function/1819803937.html

It fits perfectly.

4 Likes

As this seems to be the most popular thread for alternative cases, I’ll quickly share my recommendations from another thread:

I can recommend Kancha Design, which also focusses on a fair and sustainable production (see http://kancha.de/en/story/ ) Order here https://www.fairnopoly.de/users/kancha or http://kancha.de/en/shop/
You can select the Fairphone as your gadget when ordering.

My girlfriend is using this sleeve, which fits perfectly: http://www.shop-ni-ki.com/index.php?a=1845

This case will fit for FP with original rubber-case Handytasche quer…

but I’m afraid, its all but fair manufactured. And it needs to handle carefully, the first case I got took 3 Months (ok, with quite rough handling).
Now I have the same new and another one for rough handling, almost indestructible from a local market, no web shop, sorry.
This one is nice, but fits only without rubber case: Original MTT Quertasche Ledertasche

(my daughter is now happy to use it with her S3 mini :-))

Roland

That flip case seems to be a good one. Did you look into the production at all? I feel torn between wanting to protect the phone that will soon be here and feeling that ordering something that ships free from China probably doesn’t quite live up to the ethics that were my reason to order a Fairphone when my Huawei broke. (If you haven’t looked into it, I’ll do the homework myself. I’m just trying to save time, I don’t mean to make anyone do my job for me.)

1 Like

Looking for a flip case, I ended up trying this low-cost case (sold by many vendor on amazon, the brand is ZHUDIAO).
“Housse support universel couleur Noir pour telephone portable 3.8” -4.5"
“Universal cover for 3.8” to 4.5" smartphone"

It’s plastic finition not of the highest quality, but pratical and enough to protect the FP from keys in a pocket.

The case has the right dimensions for Fairphone.
The suction cups are ok. They hold the phone on the metal part of the back.
To help the suction, keep the back cover clean.
You can also humidify the suction cups lightely to make the grip hold longer.

1 Like

Hi all
I’ve had my fairphone since January, and found a lovely case in about March, which replaced the woolly sock I was using. I was hoping to upload a photo but do not have the wherewithall for that at the moment. Rather than wait any longer for my IT skills to improve, I can give you the website and you can look for yourselves! The company is based in Vienna, and make beautiful cases from a paper composite. I like them because they take their enviornmental and social responsibilities seriously, and were extremely friendly and helpful. You can find them at www.papernomad.com. The case they sent me was apparently for a Samsung 3 and is called TOM. It fits my phone beautifully. Do let me know if you decide to buy one!

1 Like

Good point, and I must admit that I didn’t gave it a thought when ordering my own case (see above, Third-party Fairphone 1 cases (eg flip, folio, etc) - #10 by kgha )

Checked the company’s website, and they are participants of the Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI) so at least they have some paperwork showing that they are committed to fulfil the (minimum) conditions stipulated in the ILO convention and the OECD guidelines. But as we all know, signed documents are no guarantee.

1 Like

Someone mentioned a lanyard/string connection and the Fairphone not having a hole to attach one. Have you checked the linkmount system? (google it). It’s a semi-permanent attachment, directly to the phone or the case. They have a video explaining the features. I know, not quite a case, but I thought this might interest some of you.

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:

I’m now using the Waterkant wooden sleeve. It fits tight. I also ordered a slim case (kind of silicon one) for a Sony Z1 compact. It fits tight also and if the holes are quite ok for the FP buttons, it needs to be a little bit cut to fit the FP at best.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to put the “soft cased” FP into the woolen sleeve anymore (too large and the rubber soft case is “glueing” with the sleeve).

I also bought a little piece of plastic intented to protect the 3.5 jack port. It’s kinda hearphone jack but without the hearphones and… without the jack. I put the lanyard around it and fits rubber jack protection + lanyard into the jack port of the FP. I now have a lanyard attached to the FP. It’s tight enough to prevent the FP to fall on the ground (if you thought putting your finger around the lanyard before… :P) but I won’t use it to, eg, get the FP out of the woolen sleeve.

Unfortunately I didn’t find a rubber protection for both mini usb AND jack, together. It should make a more sturdy way to attach the string to the FP. Maybe it could be possible to 3D print it. With some hard plastic it could be tighter and easier to use than my first attempt. I’ll put some pictures, it will be easier to understand :wink:
The jack protection : http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00CI0IKSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am searching for a flip case, and this looks like a good one. But I am confused, because the phone on the photo is an iPhone. How can a Fairphone fit in the same case?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-Stock-Dedicated-Flip-Leather-Phone-Cover-Case-For-Fairphone-Fairphone-Card-Holder-Bags-Stand-Function/1819803937.html

Perhaps the size of the iphone and the Fairphone are (almost) the same.

It’s not that they are “almost” the same size. I ordered one and it is made to measure for the Fairphone, with the opening for the camera in the right place.
Happy with this flipcase, it protects the screen.

Hi again, just reporting my experience with flip-cases so far:

1. As reported by Baaje this case available on AliBaBa is great - surprisingly good quality soft leather, a good fit, smart, astonishingly cheap, and on its left interior has a full length pocket plus two credit card pockets. It has has correct holes for camera and speaker. The phone is affixed within via quality double sided sticky plastic, which they supply two of.

2. This one though AVOID:

It fits but looks cheap, offers less protection, and has no holes for camera or microphone though they can be accessed by flipping the rear cover in half. Not good value for money. Again, fixed by double sided sticky plastic with spare provided, though smaller pieces. it does allow the time display to show through the front (flimsy) window of the cover, if you want that.

3. This one on German eBay with a suction-cup system for holding the phone I haven’t tried yet. If the photo is accurate it lacks speaker and camera holes, and I’m not sure I’d trust the suction cups - has anyone tried these?.

4. Just found this one on UK eBay - but sold by the guy who was selling the crap one mentioned above. Looks little better; I wouldn’t have high hopes.

Thanks also to Fro for pointing me towards the Linkmount system - mine is ordered, though I’m not keen on cutting a big chunk out of my nice AliBaBa mobile case to make it accommodate a Linkmount. Maybe the crap case will come in handy after all.

1 Like

Hi there everyone.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but does anybody know if there is a third party case available with a Qwerty keyboard with actual buttons that would be compatible with Fairphone? I have just bought my Fairphone and am waiting for it to arrive.

Previously I used a Blackberry with a physical keyboard, which I persevered with until it finally will not come back to life. Thus I bought the Fairphone primarily based on ethical values, but I think I will struggle initially with touching the screen to type (my girlfriend has an iphone and every time I try to type a message on it, it drives me mad!)

Thanks very much !

Euan

I’d say any qwerty keyboard capable of bluetooth connection should work with the Fairphone (I for instance did this for a very old folding ThinkOutside model) ; what remains to be checked is the case being compatible with the Fairphone.
Indeed if you find this I’ll be interested too :slight_smile:

I just recieved my flip case from AliExpress previously mentioned by Baaje and AlexD.

I agree with AlexD’s review, except I don’t find the leather quality impressing. The colour is unnatural and it smells cheap. But it was cheap, so I’m OK with that.

Only bad thing is that you can’t reach the volume button with the case closed, but it’s always like that with flip cases like these. I prefer a flip case which opens in the other direction (flips down, not to the side) for this reason, but haven’t found one for FP.

Here are some photos:

1 Like