The flagship's issue

I want to report this interesting article of xda-developers that touch the argument of the actual smartphones panorama and the race of the specifications and obsolescence; I totally agree with this vision and I think (and hope) that Fairphone will take another way and assure the maximum support to his products (Fairphone 2) to avoid this unfair situation.

2 Likes

I agree with the article, but there’s one rather cute but naive statement in there:

Users want a high quality experience. I can see that. You can see that. Just the OEMs can’t.

In my experience users don’t necessarily want a high quality experience. Or, to be more accurate, they don’t know what a high quality experience is. People believe that if they buy a Sony, Samsung or LG phone, they are getting a high quality experience (no matter what model). The average user has no idea about market saturation, the rushing of new devices or the update problems Android faces.

It’s that little fact that OEMs know. Customers have blind faith in their brand and the big brands are grotesquely abusing that faith right now.

5 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Windows versions & planned obsolescence (from "the flagship’s issue)

I just wanted to add that I switched to Win10 on launch day :wink:

BTW, I think the XDA article is excellent for highlighting what is going on in the mobile market (and is why there is some frustration on the price of the FP2). For years, mobile manufacturers produced good phones that were sold on contract, and later when they were ‘old’ models, they became cheap for the PAYG market.

The market is however crowded with quite literally rubbish phones just to sell another unit to another type of customer, and costumed to look like the more pricier cousins. Part of this is the demand of consumers, but part is down to the trying to milk as much money from an overcrowded market.

The interesting fact is the part that the OS plays in all of this - virtually next to none

3 Likes