Switching from iPhone to Fairphone 2

Hi my Fairfriends! :grin:
Iā€™m switching from iPhone to Fairphone and have some questions to the for me, total new Android world.

1. the clock. Its not visible on the locked screenā€¦ how can i set it visable instead of the counter. ( i donā€™t care how long im offlineā€¦)
  2. every pressing shivers the phone! uggā€¦ i was so frightend in the first second. so, how can i stop that?
  3. where are the account settings for Mail and calendars?
  4. how do i load music to my phone? :grinning: - i baught me a SD card and tried to connect the phone over usb. but my mac didnā€™t show any connection or drive in finder. then i found in setings some SD-Card options but nothing changedā€¦ can i make a music folder upon the sd-card with a sd-card-reader and just stick it back in the phone?
    Thanks a lot.
    Regards, novski
3 Likes

tap on the counter until the clock appears

settings > sounds & notifications
and settings > input > android keyboard

settings > accounts

Youā€™ll need ā€œFiletransfer for Macā€.

no, no. I whant to see the time on a quick glimpseā€¦ How can i configure to see the clock permanently?

Perfect the keyboard is now corrected, but the menus still shakeā€¦ where do i stop all that shaking on pressure?

Hmmā€¦ yes i see imap for Mail but no CalDAV or maybe icloud? :innocent:

hooow. thanks for that. googled it and found a full android website with hints i wold never thaught aboutā€¦

iPhone users have to disable iMessages else no SMS wil arrive. A friend reported that last evening, i didnā€™t mind it until i read thatā€¦

Thanks a lot!
Novski

1 Like

If you donā€™t tap it again after you set it to the clock it should stay there.

Sorry, I didnā€™t give you the full path before:

Settings > Sounds & Notifications > Other sounds > Vibrate on touch

You have to download the corresponding Apps before you can add different Accounts. But I doubt that iCloud will work on Android.

1 Like

For using CalDAV, you could use DAVDroid. Iā€™m using it for more than a year now without any problems (Of course on my FP2 as well).

Edit: And as the description at Google Play says, you can sync iCloud with DAVDroid! Yay! :smile:

your right. i didnā€™t recognize that it stays. but its a bit unstable, donā€™t likeā€¦ but well i will have to live with that thenā€¦

yep. thanks now all shivering is goneā€¦ :grin:

I will test that. maybe il change sligthly to gmail and google calendarsā€¦

now. one question regarding OSX. The transfair tool doesnā€™t connect with my phone. I tried to unlock and de/replug but i donā€™t get connection.
Are there any OSX users who can confirm that it should work?

Many Thanks!
Regards, Novski

I think youā€™ll have to unlock your phone in order to activate the data transfer.
AND youā€™ll have to config the correct USB mode. Just swipe from the top when USB is connected and there should be an option to change the USB mode. (In German, itā€™s called ā€œFĆ¼r mehr USB-Optionen berĆ¼hrenā€). Tap this and check only one of the alternatives. I think MTP should be right.

1 Like

I think so too, in case itā€™s not right: uncheck all. That works for some.

Thanks for the Replys.
I checked that options in the ā€œtop down-swipeā€ menu but i donā€™t get any options here. It doesnā€™t seam to recognize a conneciton over all. I started my Parallels Win7 and also on Win10 it doesnā€™t even recognize it in the level of Parallels. So somehow it seams that OSX 10.11.2 does not recognize a connection at all.

Can you make me a printscreen of that connection icon? (by the way how do i make printscreens on Android)

Regards, Novski

Press at the same time the volumebutton down and the powerbutton.

ah. perfect, Thanks!

Im still haveing problems geting music on my phoneā€¦
I managed to find the MTP option for USB connection:
(For those who are searchingā€¦ its not in the dropdown. On my phone its beneth the dropdown like a notification i have to press then a window appears where i can choose between some options. One is MTP.)

Now i sill have the problem that i inserted a larger sdcard with a folder called ā€œmusicā€ and i wold like to get access from my nice music player. (i choosen the black player from playstoreā€¦)
but even in the Amaze File app i donā€™t see the sdcard.
How can i get access to the music on the sdcardā€¦?

Thank, Novski

Hi novski,

I hope it is not too late. Have you already figured out how to access the external sd card? Anyway, here is an explanation for that: Before you can access the external sd card, you have to mount it. You can mount it inside the android settings: Go to settings > storage > External SD card: mount.
There should be different possibilities on how to mount it, I think (Unfortunately, my phone does not have a sdcard slot, so I can not tellā€¦).
Once you have mounted the sdcard, it should be accessible in amaze under /storage/sdcard1 , I think.
And if you want to access the external sdcard in your music player, I think there should be a possibility in the music player settings to choose the storage location. Just search there. If the default music player does not have a possibility to play the music from the sdcard, then maybe try another music player.

1 Like

The website mentioned before is very good for making the transition from Apple to Android https://www.android.com/switch/ although I have a tip for other users re Contacts.

I followed their instructions and was getting nowhere with exporting vCards on Safari, so tried Chrome thinking it was more Google friendly but still couldnā€™t export my 500 contacts in one go, and I couldnā€™t face importing them manually (or tinkering with Terminal on my Mac) so I then tried in Firefox. Hey presto all contacts exported in one vCard which I loaded in one batch to Gmail.

Day 6 of Fairphone 2 and loving it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

if you are loking on using icloud with FP2 you can do it with DAVdroid from F-Droid storeā€¦

I went through the same process. Switching from iphone/ios to FP2/Android is such a pain. In the end it made me set up a brand new google account and leave icloud for good. the total lack of interoperability (?) is quite frustrating. Still not sure what to do about my audiobooksā€¦
good luck!
Best,
Paul

Hello
Interestingly, I had lots of trouble doing the opposite, ie putting some audio files on a friendā€™s iphone. I concluded this to be impossible. Can you really have music on an sdcard and play it on an iphone ?