Switching from apple

Hi, I’ve been an iPhone user for about 10 years, for obvious reasons I want to switch. Having never used android before I thought I’d ask on here if anyone had any experiences of going from apple to fairphone and what your thoughts were on the differences.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you search a bit I’m sure you will find a number of posts etc.

have a look at this maybe

1 Like

Welcome!
I have some knowledge of both iOS and Android and would be happy to try and answer your questions, though as Amoun says, there’s quite a lot of info around the forum and doubtless elsewhere. A couple of suggestions

Are you also looking to avoid Google (the main mover of the Android world)? In that case we can also make suggestions regarding alternative editions of Android, but your best bet is probably to use the stock Fairphone version of Android to make the move from Apple, and then think about it once you’re used to Android.

Don’t hesitate to ask.

P.S. the “seamlessly” mentioned on android.com is doubtless a bit optimistic. Apple devices come with software from the same company, a fairly closed world. In Android, Google can provide services equivalent to iCloud (back-ups, mail, drive, sync …) if that’s the way you want to go, but in Android, other solutions exist.

4 Likes

Take a look at Murena/eOS. It’s Android but without Google and looks more like iOS (at least on the surface).

I switched from an iPhone to a Fairphone 4 with Murena OS about 1 1/2 years ago and I don’t regret it.

On the one hand there are a few more bugs, on the other hand there a quite a few features and possibilities you don’t have with an iPhone.

3 Likes

I see that Edith has already made the jump, but for other users: /e/OS is a great suggestion as it really does look similar to iOS and has some great features, like a tracker blocker, baked in. They even offer to sell you the phone with it preinstalled, so there’s no chance to mess up the installation :wink:

If you’re looking for something more Android-like, CalyxOS is equally awesome and they have a supportive community too.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.